Tesoro stingray 2 ???????? Info?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had one. At the time it was the only detector that could find small gold chains. I let my one of my sisters use it and she still has it. It's still a good working machine. The upscale one is called Tiger Shark and it is better. The only thing I could fault with it is the batteries are with the electronics where it was easy to leak water inside. I also don't like the 3 controls inside, Vol, Sens. and Threshold. Granted you don't normally have to readjust them, but if you do you need to reopen the control box. Also you can't change coils on the Stingray II like you can on the Tiger Shark.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
I had one also sold it a while back the best small gold machine I have ever had. Should have kept it but I have two many detectors. I had the Sting ray 2 and you could change the coil on the one I had. I liked it better than the tiger shark also had one of them. The stingray seemed to be more sensitive to small gold. I used regular descrim. always make sure to ground balance it.

OP
OP
vwayne1

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Thanks guys. I just bought a used one but I haven't recieved it yet. Cant wait. Anyone else with some experience with this machine??

B

BOB in TX

I use the stingray as my main water machine,have a fisher 1280 as backup,my son is a dealer and has acsess to several brands of water machines,but he also uses the stingray.

OP
OP
vwayne1

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I mainly wanted one for the discrimination and still made for the water. Since it is not a P.I., is it still good in salt water, and beaches?

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
The one I had would work fair in TR discrim. in the salt but you have to keep the coil at the same height when you are swinging in TR at the beach or it does not work well. Not the best beach machine but it will work ok in the salt. The beach hunter ID from whites works awsome for a VFL detector in the salt.

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
No sir the Whites Beach hunter ID is not a PI and runs on two freq. just like the DFX so it can balance out the mineralization and the salt at the same time. It has 3 LEDs and
3 tones for coin, iron, and jewelry ranges. It works great in the salt not many machines that do. My DFX also works great but is not water proof so you have to be careful. My minelab XS also works well on the beach. I do a good bit of beach hunting in the summer so I brought machines that can handle the salt. In fresh water that singray will find smaller gold than any of the above detectors. Sold mine because I hunt the salt more than lakes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread