20 to 1 in the water vs wet sand, how can this be?

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
I read that there is about 20 times more chance in ring finds in the water then the wet sand when beach detecting.

How can this be? I am not saying it is incorrect cause I have had other people say the same thing.

I have been told that in the winter go for the cuts after storms and in the summer go south and in the water.

But we know lost objects (rings) can travel many miles as the sand shifts.

We also know that coins from sunken ships many miles out wash up on the shore

We also know that it is the low spots we want to detect, after a storm or other rip currents.

So since we detect at Low tide why would it matter if were were in the water or not? Is that extra 30 feet from shore going to make that much difference? It is so much slower in the water and much more difficult to recover.

The last time I detected at the beach at dead low tide and full moon the bulk of my finds were not at the low tide water line or at the towel line but actually at the mid-tide mark. So since heavy targets were not at the low tide mark why would there be 20 times more in just that extra 30 feet or so from shore? I could agree if we were talking about a lake or gulf coast but not wide open beach where the sand is shifting so much.

Also the FBS units go up to 100 KHz were the BBS only go to 25Khz and it had been my understanding that a higher frequency is better for small gold so why would they say the Excalibur with it's BBS technology out perform something like an explorer or Etrac on small gold?

Something doesn't compute.

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as the unit, can't say... but I have found close to an equal of rings from dry sand to a lil over knee deep, but the BEST have come from the middle... that said STAY OF MA LAND!!!... :thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wet sand is underwater at high tide..... On flat or gentle sloping beaches there is a portion of the beach that swimmers frequent that is underwater in both high and low tides.

In my opinion there is no doubt there is many times more jewelry in the water then the dry sand, more jewelry comes off in the water due to the hands shrinking, and sunscreen due to the hand and arm motion action while in the water swimmimg, horsing around, waving the hands while under water and playing.

High tide you have people out on the sand bars which at low tide is the near sandbar.. Diagram is not to scale, but you should get the idea....

_______________________________Sand Bar Low Tide_________________________________________

---------------------------------------------Sand Bar High Tide-----------------------------------------------------------
______________________________Shore Line Low Tide___________________________________________

----------------------------------------------Shore Line High Tide-----------------------------------------------------------

I hunt both wet sand and water, and I find a lot more jewelry in the water, ankle to chest deep then I find in the wetsand...Yes it is harder going, but a lot more productive for me then the dry or wet sand. The jewelry I find in the wetsand is usually still being washed over by the low tide surf. I find far fewer jewlery finds in the high tide wet sand line, but I do find it there. Only one of my diamond rings has come out of dry sand, all the other diamond rings, and diamond earrings have come out of the water, or wet sand at low tide, still being washed over. Last diamond ring I found came out of water 2 foot deep end of last summer...

Just my opinion on the beaches I hunt......

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter is 100% correct on most of the jewelry being found in the water......The tides come in and go out so people follow the water plain and simple. While in the water the fingers are slippery from lotions and the colder water and due to horse play or splashing water on the others things on the fingers and wrists come off. Tossing footballs, Frisbees and such all get the rings off the fingers.

On the shore the slope always slants down to the water. Any thing laying on the sand is pulled into the deeper water by the waves when they recede and move onto shore a little when the wave comes in. But gravity always wins as it pulls items out off the wet sand into the water regardless if the tide is coming in or going out so items tend to always be in the water.

As far as the differences between BBS and FBS finding small gold, all I have to say is the Excal and Sov GT (BBS) find small earring backs and earring studs that the Explorer (FBS) don't respond to mostly. I don't know about the Etrac as I haven't tried to wave the coil over the same earring backs but expect the same results. You have to try it yourself to really learn as there are many variables.

The Pic is of 14 kt earring backs and studs found with the Excal 1000 or Sov GT. Besides the differences in the ratio of good finds in the water, the advantages of being cooler during the summer and the eye candy in the water are lots better. Also the gravity is less in the water so the old body feels lighter bobbing along.

Attachments

• Earring backs.jpg
    Earring backs.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 629

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good info guys :icon_thumright:
Personally, the only time I have lost anything at the beach other than pocket change, I was in the water.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I think it's getting to know your beaches thats really important. Every beach is different and changes throughout the course of the year. If you're in the wrong place at the wrong time, either in the water or on the sand you won't find much of anything. Study the beaches and take note of the good days and bad and equate this info with tides, storms, sand volume etc. I am fortunate to live in Hawaii where you can go into the water year around so that's my first choice. There are about 5 to 1 more people detecting the dry sand than there is in the water. It's always hot here so people are always swimming. I also think as Sandman eluded to, that they do lose alot more of thier jewelry while engaged in water activities. Often they don't even realize its lost until they come out and are drying off. So they are less likely to ever find it again. As opposed to the dry sand where they often search for and find thier lost item. As for me, on either dry/wet sand or in the water, I like to look for heavier targets such as older lead, bolts etc. and coins that are black or encrusted because that tells me that I'm in a area that has good potential for accumulated gold and silver goodies. If I am just hitting light stuff like pull tabs, bottle caps with an occasional penny or dime, I move on because the likelyhood of finding heavy jewelry, especially gold is slim. The bottom line of course, is to have fun and enjoy the hobby whenever and wherever you can. ;D

OP
OP
JohnnieWalker

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Thanks for the awesome replies guys!

What cause the confusion was that my actual experience as short as it may be was that I find more in the mid tide level where the small rocks congregate than I do at the low tide waters edge or even in knee deep water.

My last trip to the beach my goal was to figure it out so I zig zaged the beach at dead low tide on a full moon from the the waters edge to the high tide water mark. I found coins at mid beach about 8-10" down. I then when along the water edge for a good distance and found nothing. I then did the scalloped sand just inside the sand bar thinking for sure I would find stuff there, nothing!

Then paralleled the beach staying at the mid-tide water line and got a handfull of clad in less than an hour.

So as you said, I think each beach and day at that beach is different.

I need to get out there after the storm and hit the "Gold Zone" :-)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my opinion...water is still too cold for fresh drops, old jewelry is too deep to be detected with out storm, or rip tides to make it detectable.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman - what took so long to mention the "Beach Bible"

D

digum smacks

heres a truth i found about 1 beach.a lady lost a ring.me and my buddy hunted for it for hours with no luck.well i just reciently found it.this was about 7 or 8 months ago.now winter storms and erosion knocked about 10feet off the beach with a couple of times 6-7 foot waves.the ring seemed like it never moved an inch because it was exactly where she said she lost it.my opinion rings dont move period at least in most places i hunt.now i hear storie where someone lost a ring and found it a mile away.i say horse pucky.you lost it a mile from where you thought you lost it.now if a ring moves far i think it has to be secluded and been there a long time

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
Here is my opinion...water is still too cold for fresh drops, old jewelry is too deep to be detected with out storm, or rip tides to make it detectable.

Sorry I did not elaborate a little more. I replied using the browser on my Droid cell phone, my fingers are a little big to type long detailed replies.........

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
YUP...YUP...YUP... Sitting on the beach here in Fortaleza, Brasil...just another casual day of swimming, sipping, and oogling, when I see this guy horsin' around throwing a ball with a buddy...as I'm looking, his watch tried to fly off his hand. He barely caught it in a bobbling grab. ..big waves, sandy water.. he would never have found it in waist deep water. Looking around all this time I have seen countless tourists with nice jewelry on the beaches here....and get this, when I asked around to lots of people, they all say they never have seen anyone with a detector on the beaches here...WOW!...a few didn't even know what one was...sheesh! The kicker is...I didn't bring my detector with me... :'( ...I feel SICK right now!!! Won't make that mistake again next year...lol. The goodies are in the water....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fortunate said:
YUP...YUP...YUP... Sitting on the beach here in Fortaleza, Brasil...just another casual day of swimming, sipping, and oogling, when I see this guy horsin' around throwing a ball with a buddy...as I'm looking, his watch tried to fly off his hand. He barely caught it in a bobbling grab. ..big waves, sandy water.. he would never have found it in waist deep water. Looking around all this time I have seen countless tourists with nice jewelry on the beaches here....and get this, when I asked around to lots of people, they all say they never have seen anyone with a detector on the beaches here...WOW!...a few didn't even know what one was...sheesh! The kicker is...I didn't bring my detector with me... :'( ...I feel SICK right now!!! Won't make that mistake again next year...lol. The goodies are in the water....

You have found a gold mine!!!! I wish we were all there with you. :hello2: I always watch the people that are at the beach with me and resist the urge to follow the guy around that is wearing all the Bling. Hard enough not to follow the eye candy around. :laughing7: You sometimes see someone walking around looking in the water like they lost something and they hope to see it laying on the bottom. This is another reason for water hunters to wear Polarized glasses to cut the glare from the water so they can see dollar bills on the bottom along with chains that haven't sunk into the sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread