Metal Detecting Etiquette - Trying to Return Items that You Find

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
"Oh man, not another post by that Overkill guy. Why doesn't he just stop asking questions and go ahead and detect!!"

Well, I have my plane ticket, and I'm headed for Indian Rocks Beach in early May for 4 or so days of detecting. The only thing left to do is to buy a detector and metal scoop! :icon_thumleft: By the way, is it OK to ask on this forum for URLs of sites where used detectors are being sold. What I want is a Minelab Excalibur for $15. Just kidding. But seriously, if you can post any URL for used detectors, I'd appreciate it. I also noted that our forum has a classified section that I need to check out.

My main question: What lengths are you ladies and gentlemen going to to attempt to return items to the owner who owned the piece before you found it? I remember reading something about this in a treasure detecting code of conduct or something. After every find, is it reasonable to check a couple of lost and found sites and newspaper ads after you find something of value (say, over a certain dollar amount such as $50) to see if you can return it?

I know if I made a mistake and lost a piece of jewelry in the water, I would sure appreciate someone returning it to me - especially if I put out an ad for it.

Can you all share some of your usual protocol for attempting to locate the previous owner, if you have any 'protocol'?

Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the propose of investing a good chunk of money and time into MD,ing a beach or field or where ever besides a hobby ?? :icon_scratch: answer $$$ unless there is a name or phone # inside the band ? . Good luck and post all your finds when you get back i dont care if its a old barrel swivel with 3 feet of 100lb test mono and a 2.0 rusty blue fish hook post it maybe we all can find the owner ? :laughing7: JK Good luck Dd60

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Deepdiger60 said:
Last year i meet a guy who detected a ring in wet sand 18k and 1 diamond that was valued at 240 GRAND !! the stone was 10ct white pear shaped it was at a private beach in the Hampton s ...now do you think he returned it or even tried to find the owner ?? :laughing7: i saw pictures of it what a rock !! :thumbsup: iam sure if that person who lost it had it insured Dd60

Did he leave a note with his contact number in the hole from which is was found so the owner could contact him? :laughing9:

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm sure everyone that has replied to you- isn't trying to be rude, but the fact is- If you want to be a humanitium -- build someone a house or be a volunteer somewheres.
This a more of a finders keepers hobby and for some - its more than a hobby.

Things might be different if someones crying about a lost ring in the water and sincerely ask for your help. Most of us do help. But, all to often, someone will ask for your help, they have no idea where its lost and you find yourself wasting a half hour while some other detectorist is a head of you scoring the gold ( at least that's the feeling).

There so much more to say....But everyone else has covered it already.

Bottom line is.... Its up to you.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
U wear your rings & stuff 2 the beach & lose them I naturally believe U R not mentally stable & shouldn't have them anyway so I just put them away 4 safe keeping ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This will be long, But I'll tell You anyway ;D

When I was hunting a local Lake I Found
Many Class Rings, Wedding Rings, Etc.

Class Rings : Initials, I Contacted the schools by Phone
If they helped me, locate the Person, or Gave me a name,
I contacted them when possable & Returned their rings.

IF they offered me a Reward, I Took it.
If they Didn't, Woop-Dee-Do :coffee2:

Wedding rings with Names, If somone knew the name,
or I Found it in the phone Book, I Returned them.
IF they offered me a Reward, I Took it.
If they Didn't, Woop-Dee-Do :coffee2:

Military Bracelets. Enough info to find the owners
& Returned them So I would do so.
In all cases these People were old & Talk alot,
So even an offer of rewrd was Refused
after a long sitdown listening
to their life story of how they lost it.

Junk Jewelry with Names. Researced through Phone book
if theirs Returned for free.

Jewelry with Initials, Names, still not Returned

I Put adds in the Lost & Found (FREE in the local
paper)

The adds started out

Found in Sweet Arrow Lake

then listed each item
& Initials or persons name if available.

Some adds were more like a Column
3" long. & when somone would call & Tell me
it was theirs, or if they told me they Knew the Person,
(Friend,Relative, Neighbor,Former Class Mate)
We made arangements from there.

All Items not returned after 1 year became mine
& Were dealt with as I Do all My stuff :wink:

WARNING ! Some schools when called ask you
to give it to them, to give to the Class Reunion People,
Or so they can do the Legwork. I Call BS on this.

Class Books are Public Domain
Schools Don't need to keep names of former students
Private for National Security.

& Of course Everyone who ever asked me to find something for
them I Did it for Free. While I'm searching, I'm still
detecting so What's the Loss ? :dontknow:

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Great response, Jeff!

One of the reasons I really LOVE this hobby ... the look on the face of the returnee ... PRICELESS ... no reward needed!

HH Joe

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
The pirate code says:
Take everything ... give nothing back!

However, a reasonable attempt at returning that which is returnable is called for amongst civilized people.

Willee

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red said i lost it now give it back!!! LOL if you cant positively id it you wont get it back!!! that is why i say put something on the item that you can id without any problem!!!! i would return many items if there was any type of identity on them!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug said:
Red said i lost it now give it back!!! LOL if you cant positively id it you wont get it back!!! that is why i say put something on the item that you can id without any problem!!!! i would return many items if there was any type of identity on them!!!

absolutely.

you can dig jewelry etc from thousands of years ago.

in most cases found items have no clear way to id
who they belong to or when they were lost.

what would be the use of trying
to find somone who lost a 2 C Diamond ring
at the beach ? if the ring has no name ?

It could have been lost that day
or it could have been lost 50 years ago.

Even intials or Name

How many J.C.R. 's are there ?
how many would step forward ?

How many John Doe's are there ?
How many would claim a 2 Caret Ring ?

How many people from Jabip or wherever,
who lost something on a Beach in Florida
2 Years ago Read all the Florida Lost & Found adds
daily
for the rest of their lives in hopes of it being found ?

how much would it cost to post in every paper in the world
just on the hopes only the looser will respond ?

Class Rings at least Have a way for You to Trace.

Wedding rings with names and dates inside
work at places like Mayberry & Where I Live.

Not exactly Tourist Country.

what is the claims count at now
for the amount of people who Accidently
Donated this ring ?

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,318246.0.html

I Know I Dropped it, But, I'll let them have it :tongue3:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been approached by many people that say they lost a ring or something while I am searching for goodies. I get them to ID it and if I have a business card in my hat I give it to them an tell them to call me that night in case I found it. I might not find it that day or the next or a buddy might find it. If the (losers) call me I get their phone number and as much info as i can on where they were that day. As most of us know items found are not where they think they lost them. Some have even taken them off and forgot about it an they are safely in the car. But we don't know that and keep searching to try to help them.

I had a friend the had a person describe a bracelet to them that they lost at this beach. We found it a couple days later at a totally different beach and it had the guys name in it. Needless to say the guy never called us with his contact info so "Doctor Detroit" kept the item hoping to run into him again. She didn't know if he lived near by or was an out of state visitor.

One of my frequent finds are car keys lost in the water. They sometimes make a spare key without the fob and lose that. No name or any id. Maybe their car will be the last one to leave the parking lot.

If you watch the beach you will sometimes see lil urchins steal stuff off blankets or coolers for what ever is inside. It is a game they play to toss the car keys in the water.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I invested a good sum of money on my machines and all there accessories to enjoy my hobby hunting fields woods old homesteads i like collecting old coins and relics and i have no desire to sell any of it , and i do use the MD,s on the beaches should i find a expensive ring worth a few thou i have no use for it except for what it is worth and maybe get some money back from what i spent finders keepers .Dd60

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
My two grams worth. If you find the owner see what they say. Most will compensate you. If its something researchable and identifiable...go ahead and do it. Like class rings with initials.

However...DO NOT CHANT AND ROAR when you find a band or something. Some one will instantly claim it! I know this because it happened to a hunting buddy. Me...I hide my finds...you wouldnt be able to tell if I found a bottle top or a ring.

If I am asked to try and locate something...I am honest and try to do it.

That being said...its my $$$ piece of equipment...and you can spend a life time trying to find the owner with no success. Just scrap it or horde it IMO. ATM I am holding all my finds...price of gold on rise.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joeb1999 said:
My two grams worth. If you find the owner see what they say. Most will compensate you. If its something researchable and identifiable...go ahead and do it. Like class rings with initials.

However...DO NOT CHANT AND ROAR when you find a band or something. Some one will instantly claim it! I know this because it happened to a hunting buddy. Me...I hide my finds...you wouldnt be able to tell if I found a bottle top or a ring.

If I am asked to try and locate something...I am honest and try to do it.

That being said...its my $$$ piece of equipment...and you can spend a life time trying to find the owner with no success. Just scrap it or horde it IMO. ATM I am holding all my finds...price of gold on rise.
I have returned a class ring 1971 to the owner i went out of my way to see he got it back, and so far i had 2 lady's ask me to find a engagement ring and the other a gold cross a family air loom i found both and they were happy i took no reward even if asked ,i was talking about your everyday lost gold n silver rings with no id those i just keep or sell so far i have done the happy dance 3 times :laughing7: after i get off the beach . :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread