Has anyone ever experienced beach quick sand ??

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happened to me i was walking along the beach at the waters edge where the wave action ends swinging the coil mostly wet sand i noticed my feet getting deeper in the sand nothing to worry about until i hit a spot where i sank up to my waist in 1 second !!! iam 6-4 tall i felt my self going in deeper each time i was hit by water i had my detector up as high as it could go over my head i FREAKED :help: i managed to lean sideways and crawl over to more firm sand and get out that is a first to, i think if i didn't do what i did i would not being here now telling this iam 61 now and always lived on or near ocean beaches and never seen anything like that .Makes me wonder just how many people just disappear that way ? Kind of scary to say the least .Dd60

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think somebody had an experience like this last year, just after the beach he was on was replenished. Could be the same thing. Or could be a rookie with a monster scoop didn't fill in a hole. :laughing9:

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Yes, although my experience related to a mud flat rather than a beach. Our mud gets dry and cracked on the surface, but wet underneath. If you break through the crust, you will fall in to crotch or waist in less than a second. Followed by some very un-dignified all fours crawling back to shore.

Chip V.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Deepdiger60 said:
This happened to me i was walking along the beach at the waters edge where the wave action ends swinging the coil mostly wet sand i noticed my feet getting deeper in the sand nothing to worry about until i hit a spot where i sank up to my waist in 1 second !!! iam 6-4 tall i felt my self going in deeper each time i was hit by water i had my detector up as high as it could go over my head i FREAKED :help: i managed to lean sideways and crawl over to more firm sand and get out that is a first to, i think if i didn't do what i did i would not being here now telling this iam 61 now and always lived on or near ocean beaches and never seen anything like that .Makes me wonder just how many people just disappear that way ? Kind of scary to say the least .Dd60

Damn that sounds scary. I have sank before but only like a foot. I read a story once where a guy got into some backcountry with his little skif and the tide went out. He got out to push his boat and instantly sank up to his neck. He said he struggled for a few hours and thought he was done for, but somehow managed to get out by pulling himself and using his boat as leverage.

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Almost lost my kids to it last year.

Attachments

• quick sand.jpg
    quick sand.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 9,362

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe the next time something like this happens, the victim will be with a family member or friend who can get on their cellphone and call the media and the local Police for assistance thus bringing media attention to the hazards of beach renourishment!! Hehee!!

It would be soooooo nice if a highly publicized "beach quicksand" lawsuit could put a stop to our county and state politicians using the beach renourishment projects to suck up to the rich beachfront property investors that reside along our coasts just to gain their support come election time... make the wealthy property owners pay for there own "renourishment" or better yet, require them all to put in seawalls at their own expense if they choose to live where mother ocean can do them harm. Not to mention that the beachfront property owners should also be responsible and financially liable to clean up ALL of the remains of their property after it gets washed out to sea and all over OUR beaches!!! I don't appreciate finding their silk boxers after Hurricane What's Its Name passes through and so effectively removes their dirty laundry from their upcrusty walk in closets and deposits them on the reef...

This is a rant so here goes... I don't want my hard earned and dearly departed tax dollars going to funding these renourishment projects anymore... they are a complete waste of money (to the tune of $7-$12 Million each time they get a contract here on the Treasure Coast) as they are only a temporary "fix".

Additionally, being a diver/treasure hunter/& nature nut, I have seen the damage this "renourishment" is doing to our marine environment... greatly increased turbidity in the water blocks out natural ambient light (sunlight, etc.) which kills off natural marine growth and the clay like particulate matter in this "renourished sand" covers over (smothers) the living organisms on our fragile reef systems.

And when it comes to our governments concern over preserving the environment for the sea turtles... forget about it!!Turtles that return to the same areas to nest each year wouldn't even recognize the beach after the renourishment... and our government doesn't care about the turtle nesting "season" as is evident by them constantly "moving the goal post" when it comes to getting the renourishment projects done before the nesting begins.

And then of course there is the almighty tourist dollars... which will begin to suffer when folks who visit our fair state of Florida begin to realize that the reefs are dead and the nearshore fishing sucks thanks to the renourishment. Not to mention that our fine state doesn't test the renourished sand for things like agricultural runoff and remove trash from it before they dump it on our beaches after pumping it from the ICW... lovely!

So sad... anyone interested in starting a tea party against beach renourishment? Hehehee!! LOL - End of rant... glad you made it out alive deepdiger60.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well said. Thank you!

goldnugget

Nov 3, 2005
East Coast U S A
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab XP-Pro- MinelabExcaliber -Fisher1260 Minelab E-Trac - Minelab Equinox 800
When I was a Teenager in Louisville ,Ky, I used to go to the Ohio river and walk below the dam, always listening for the horns before the river was to rise. I happen to walk into one of those sinkholes mentioned. I probably sunk up to my waist and finally was able to redistribute my weight. I must have crawled a half of mile it seemed like. Hope this doesn't happen at the beach, I'm headed to a spot that I googled ( earth ) that is like a barrier island and alot of maritime looking forrest with alot of tree's down along the ocean front. I'll be in the area next week, but I'll have to get up early to catch part of the low tide. I'll also have to cross a small inlet, that I saw last year, not very wide and hope to detect and get back before the next high tide. I'm like Tom Sawyer looking for an adventure. If you see a N.C.License plate-gosports1- at a parking spot for over 24 hours, you know that I'm in a sunk hole or a Florida gator got me. Look for an excaliber detector and a big aluminum scoop if you don't see me

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions