Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Wet suit, dry suit or chest waders?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2008
    Raymond, WA
    E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Re: Wet suit, dry suit or chest waders?

The man in the video I posted was using old school, or new school, depending on what you call the breathable almost zero weight waders. They are light and comfortable but with moving water they can act like an underwater sail.

I too am not wanting to start an argument with anybody here. It's just that IMHO waders are not the primary cause of the loss of good people and in order to prevent that, we have to know what the cause was/is without jumping to conclusions that it was the waders. Then we have the knowledge to be safer.

Several here have already confirmed that waders flooded probably only get you wet. I remember playing with only the wet suit bottoms on and having to work pretty hard to keep my head above the surface and to get my feet back underneath me. That was in a lake and I wasn't battling tidal surge or breakers. Add 10 pounds around my waist and it'd be a lot easier. I do remember floating like a cork with no weight belt and both top and bottoms on. Effortless floatation.

If you haven't tried swimming with your clothes on and especially shoes, make sure you do it shallow. When you have your shoes on, your feet cut through the water differently and a flutter kick will go south really fast wearing tennis shoes. Better know how to frog or scissors kick. That could be more of a causative factor than waders. When taking Water Safety Instruction, one of the tests is to remove shoes and pants so you can stroke better and the cotton doesn't pull you down. Anyone ever try to lift a terry cloth towel off the bottom? It works like a sunken log. Your cotton clothes soaked can do the same thing. More plausible to me than flooded waders.

I too read about the loss of the man you spoke of. What I read on line matches what you remember. He could have stood up as it was that shallow. People noticed him detecting and the next minute he was gone. There was nothing more said that I could find. I immediately concluded it was a medical emergency and was not waders. However, that was never confirmed one way or another that I could find. Lets all stay safe...jim
    If you think you can or if you think you can't...you're probably right!

us
    Jul 2008
    Raymond, WA
    E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI

Didn't know about Wayne. Went back and tried to find information on the other one mentioned. I could only find an initial report. Preliminary report was drowning, but there was no follow up by the media after the autopsy that I could find.

Again...I wish we knew all the facts. I think it's something other than the waders. This summer, with a life jacket on initially, I think I'll go jump in the lake with the waders and see what happens.

I still think it has a lot to do with semi panic, water rushing into the face, and all the rest. If we SCUBA folks get water rushing in the face we know it's time to clear the mask and move on. Maybe somebody without that experience or training might really go bonkers. One thing we do not know on either situation is if the people were swimmers.

I have a friend who fishes daily on a pretty big river. He can't swim a stroke and doesn't wear any PFD unless he's in my boat. I think one day he'll pay for that and I'll lose a good fishing buddy. But there are total non-swimmers who water detect without PFDs. HH to all and do be safe. A good inflatable PFD is around $75 and sometimes less on sale. jim
    If you think you can or if you think you can't...you're probably right!

Jul 2004
    S.W. Michigan
    CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
    8 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Quote Originally Posted by SWR
    I'm thinking about Wayne Otto who owned Outdoor Outfitters. He stepped into an eleven foot hole.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?topic=18996.0

Stay safe, for sure
    SWR,

I've been told that Wayne Otto was wearing a weight belt, and that it was major contributing factor. I would strongly advise against this, and if you must then it has to be quick release, last on and know how to work it in the dark upside down first time or don't wear one.

Steve :-)
    Persuaverance is the only true talent!

KaptainKosmic

us
    Aug 2008
    7 times

Another reason why a wet suit is a good idea. My wet suit allows me to float like a cork. No need to worry about drop offs as I can float my way out of trouble. My Excalibur is attached to me via a shock cord so I can drop it and swim without any trouble. My scoop is also attached to me via a rope so I can drop it also and tow it along as I swim. I tested this out just in case. I would recommend that anyone hunting the waters do the same. Make sure your equipment is not the cause of your accidental death. Otto died because he was wearing a weight belt from the news reports I have read. Not a good idea.

Chest waders can be great if combined with other things like a kayak jacket as in the video. I just prefer the wet suits because they are so easy to wear and clean up in the salt water. And to me the bouyancy of the wet suit is a little bit better than the chest waders.

pl
    Mar 2008
    Deep Silver Seeker 3000
    10 times
    Banner Finds (2)

Looks like I'm probably going to get the 7mm farmer johns. Good for the cold lakes, and i don't have to wear the tops. Since i am a fisherman as well, I may get a pair of chest waders as well for the lakes where I won't be going deeper than the waist. Seems like the waders would be easier and faster to get off and on, and I can always throw on some long johns and sweats to keep warm with those. Looks like a full wet suit or dry suit would just take too much time to put on and take off.

7mm aren't too thick are they? I guess i can always splash myself down with water if i get too hot and I don't have to wear the top.

Thanks for all of your replies and recommendations and precautions everyone. Definately made things easier and gave me a few things to think about.
    2012Counts:
    Barber 1/2= ;WLH 1/2= ;FRH= ; SeQ=; SLQ=1 SWQ=5; Barber Q= ; Seated D.= ; Barber Dime=4 ; Merc's=9; Roosies=6; War Nickels=1; Foreign Silver=1
    Silver=27 Gold=4

us
    Mar 2010
    Eastern CT
    JW Fishers pulse 8 x

A wet suit is the way to go. You will be able to buy wet suit booties with plastic zippers and hard soles. So they won't interfear with your coil. Good luck!

digum smacks

chainmail is the only way to go

us
    May 2015
    New England
    Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur, GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
    28 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I should add that even with a wet suit I wear a auto inflatable PFD when wading. You never know when you may need one.
    Sandman, who is the manufacturer of the Auto-Inflatable PFD you wear ? Good advice.........thanks

Charter Member
    us
    TerryrSoloman.com

May 2010
    White Plains, New York
    Minelab GPZ 7000; Equinox 600 -- Tesoro Mojave -- Grave Digger Tools Nemesis shovel, Sidekick hand digger -- Bunk's Hermit Pick
    19813 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by ctdirtdigger View Post
    Sandman, who is the manufacturer of the Auto-Inflatable PFD you wear ? Good advice.........thanks
    This thread started in 2010, and our buddy Sandman, has passed away. CREWSAVER CF PRO 40 PFD
    PRICE $159.95

OBN
    us
    Dec 2008
    Mid-Atlantic Waters
    Excalibur
    4816 times
    102 Gold rings, 230 Silver FTY
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ctdirtdigger View Post
    You don't want a auto inflate, you want a manual inflate. So you can control when it inflates, and manual inflates have a blow tube where you can blow it up to inflate it instead of using the Co2 cartridge. You get in the water with an auto inflate it will go off, best to pull the cord when needed.

RIP Sandman and KaptainKosmic, both Michigan hunters..

Effort is Important, But knowing where, can make all the difference!

us
    May 2015
    New England
    28 times
    Wow...............didn't realize and was just reading, not checking dates.........anyway my apologies. RIP Sandman and KaptainKosmic

us
    May 2015
    New England
    28 times
    Thank you, Terry for both pieces of information.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links