Wet suit, dry suit or chest waders?

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I purchased an excal II last winter, and am going to hit the surf this summer. I was just wondering what everyone is using and would recomend for hunting mainly Chicago beaches in Lake Michigan where the water maybe gets to the 60's?

I know a lot of people will say to stay away from chest waders, as they can fill up with water and make it very difficult in a tough situation.

I've read that farmer johns? are good, but have no clue what those are.

With water being cold, I've heard a dry suit....But may cost upwards to $600.

I think I am going to purchase the Beach Brute sand scoop for the digging, unless someone recomends something better.

Will a 3mm wet suit work well enough and keep me warm?

Also, what kind of shoes would one consider buying?

Thanks for any advice and input.
-L4S/ Jon

Upvote 0

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I should add that even with a wet suit I wear a auto inflatable PFD when wading. You never know when you may need one.

Sandman, who is the manufacturer of the Auto-Inflatable PFD you wear ? Good advice.........thanks

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman, who is the manufacturer of the Auto-Inflatable PFD you wear ? Good advice.........thanks

This thread started in 2010, and our buddy Sandman, has passed away. [h=2]CREWSAVER CF PRO 40 PFD
PRICE $159.95[/h]

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other

You don't want a auto inflate, you want a manual inflate. So you can control when it inflates, and manual inflates have a blow tube where you can blow it up to inflate it instead of using the Co2 cartridge. You get in the water with an auto inflate it will go off, best to pull the cord when needed.

RIP Sandman and KaptainKosmic, both Michigan hunters..

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...............didn't realize and was just reading, not checking dates.........anyway my apologies. RIP Sandman and KaptainKosmic

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Terry for both pieces of information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread