Forum Professionalism, Appropriate Footwear for Water Detecting

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
My metal detecting trip is just a couple of weeks away, and I can't wait. I am still researching metal detectors and scoops. I just priced polarized sunglasses - wow, they are expensive. But my question is simple: What do you all wear on your feet in the salt water? Old tennis shoes? Beach shoes? Bare feet? High heels? (just kidding)I know that where I'm headed on the West Coast of Florida, there are plenty of sting rays. So, it makes sense to wear the most protection possible, but how do you all get around the problem of your shoes (e.g., tennis shoes) not stinking to high heaven after they dry out the next day?!

I realize my questions are often very simple-minded, but if you look over my posts some really useful exchanges have resulted. Please refrain from replies that are mean-spirited or sarcastic. If you find my posts to be idiotic, then please just ignore them instead of replying to them with clever rejoinders and thereby spreading negative energy. And a big thank you to all of you who take my questions seriously.

I know that if someone were asking questions of me in an area in which I was an expert, then I would (and do) consider it and honor and a privilege to offer my experience, strength, and hope. The absolute last thing that I, personaly, ever want to do is to come across as condescending and not encourage the person's passion. Who am I to judge someone's questions as too simple or too naive. It doesn't matter if you've been metal detecting for 95 years; in fact, I would argue that such credible individuals should be held to a higher standard with respect to courtesy and respect. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me to bully someone who appears to be simple-minded or analytical or curious. I thought we stopped doing that in grade school. Those that appear to be the most 'weak' need the most kindness. How about being a role model and setting a professional standard. Again, if my posts are "getting old," then please ignore them. I have a right to posts my posts, and if you look you'll see that my posts generate A LOT of replies. If I were the owner of this forum, I would want someone like me asking "the stupid questions." I really don't care to read what you think of them. So please, try to practice what we all learned in kindergarten and what you are trying to teach your grandkids - compassion, patience, love, brotherly love. I've already said that I am going on my metal detecting trip in a couple of weeks, so I am preparing for that trip and want to be prepared for as many unexpected things as I can - hence all the questions. I don't get to leave the state of Missouri that much, and I love the water. And I'll only be in Florida a couple of days. But even if I weren't going on a metal detecting trip and I were confined to a wheelchair, what gives (some of you) the right to tell me to "Stop asking all these questions and just go out and do it." I got my first metal detector at about age 15 around 25 years ago on the West Coast of Florida - but I think it's sad that I feel like I need to defend the quality of my questions. I have always asked a lot of questions, and I will not change. Just live and let live, please....................And please carefully consider responding to this post if you have a problem with it. Such a reply is easily recognizable: "Yes, you're right Overkill - I agree with absolutely everything you say, except..................." Again, just ignore me if you can't be contribute to this forum either with your responses or your questions." Try to stick to the motto "Principles before personalities." In other words, keep the focus on beach and shallow water metal detecting, not on rating the quality of someone's questions. If you don't have anything positive to say, don't say it at all. Have a great day! :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually use zapatos, but hate when they fill with shells.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use diveboots in winter, Crocks in summer. As far as stingrays, shuffle your feet as you walk, unlikely you will step on them that way and you will scare them off, if you want something that will protect you 100% of the time from rays you will need something like Stingray Guardz about $70, they go around your calf and over the top of your feet, you will still need shoes with them.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Scuba diving boots as my underwater sand scoop is very sharp and heavy. Plus it's best to protect your feet in the water especially if you are like me and in the water for 5 + hours. See my avitar for pic of the scoopzilla my monster scoop! :blob8: :blob8:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear what you wanna.

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just a old pair of sneakers when iam done i leave on the beach behind my house :thumbsup:

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
You will definitely want to wear something on your feet when detecting in the water or even on the dry sand.

I personally prefer wearing old tennis shoes with half socks, although when the water's cold I'll wear dive booties.

The shoes will keep you feet safe from shells, hooks, and trash, and will keep your feet from bruising when you kick and dig with the scoop.

You'll want to take an extra pair of dry shoes and keep them in the car - because your beach shoes will be wet and full of sand at the end of the day.

You'll also want to make provisions for your car keys - if they have an electronic remote on them, they won't last a minute in the salt water.

Also, wear a hat, spray up with spf 30 sunscreen, keep a 'sweat towel' in your car, and prepare for a hard workout if this is the first time you've been water detecting.

Look at this as a great way to get exercise and sun, with a chance of finding something interesting in the water. Don't make a job out of it and you'll have fun.

Good luck!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
that's funny Cotton...

Code:
cotton
Bunny slippers with big ears
I would bet your name is peter {cotton} tail?

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
If I was to write a book about subjects which I know nothing about and elevate myself by passing the knowledge on as my own.
I would spiv as much info as possible from those who really know and have the experiences in these matters.

I would also use my own name as author to boost my ego.

ivanll

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivanll said:
If I was to write a book about subjects which I know nothing about and elevate myself by passing the knowledge on as my own.
I would spiv as much info as possible from those who really know and have the experiences in these matters.

I would also use my own name as author to boost my ego.

ivanll

I see the point but being new the search feature of the fourm does wonders.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
that's funny Cotton...

Code:
cotton

OBN, it's Mr. Cotton from Pirates of the Caribbean :laughing9: :laughing9:

as for the question:

where dive boots; I would still recommend shuffling your feet....I've stepped on a few sting rays only to have them slide away and not get me with the barb...thank God.

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
COTTON said:
Bunny slippers with big ears, :tongue3:
COTTON said:
Bunny slippers with big ears, :tongue3:
I use the same kind.

Do you have problems with kids following you all the time?

OP
OP
O

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I am grateful to be able to tap into the experiences of so many individuals. Thanks again!!

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GuerillaBill said:
You will definitely want to wear something on your feet when detecting in the water or even on the dry sand.

I personally prefer wearing old tennis shoes with half socks, although when the water's cold I'll wear dive booties.

The shoes will keep you feet safe from shells, hooks, and trash, and will keep your feet from bruising when you kick and dig with the scoop.

You'll want to take an extra pair of dry shoes and keep them in the car - because your beach shoes will be wet and full of sand at the end of the day.

You'll also want to make provisions for your car keys - if they have an electronic remote on them, they won't last a minute in the salt water.

Also, wear a hat, spray up with spf 30 sunscreen, keep a 'sweat towel' in your car, and prepare for a hard workout if this is the first time you've been water detecting.

Look at this as a great way to get exercise and sun, with a chance of finding something interesting in the water. Don't make a job out of it and you'll have fun.

Good luck!

Oh man, I wish I woulda read this last week!

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:
GuerillaBill said:

Good luck!

Oh man, I wish I woulda read this last week!

Otter Box...saved my keys many of a time.....

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OldeBeechnut said:
that's funny Cotton...

Code:
cotton
Good one :laughing9:,My granmother always said that saying. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions