Gold from the Far East... UPDATE - 1969 class ring going back to owner this week

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Well, it was about as far east as you can get while remaining in the United States :laughing7:

My kids were off school for spring break last week, so we left the west coast, and headed to Massachusetts for 8 days. We got in late Saturday the 10th, and I was just too dead tired to get out for the early morning low tide on Sunday, so the detecting had to wait until Monday.

Monday morning finally arrived, and I crept out of the house around 5:45am without waking anyone. Arriving at the beach around 6am with the sun just starting to peak above the horizon, I entered the Atlantic in search for gold. I was at a beach that I have hunted a couple of times last summer, and it was pretty sanded in, even out in thigh deep water. All I found Monday were light targets, but they did include two rings - one was a small silver ring (came out corroded black) that after cleaning revealed a couple of pretty flowers in the design, and the other was an aluminum junk ring. But I was happy to have found two rings on my first outing of the week :hello2:

I didn't get out again until Thursday, as I had a bunch of errands to run and family stuff to do on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Thursday I met up with a local detectorist who I was introduced to earlier in the week, and we met up at a beach I had never hunted before. This beach was turning out heavy targets, including LOTS of lead fishing weights. Then about an hour into our hunt, I pulled up my scoop while sifting out the sand under water. Once out of the water, I looked in amongst the shells and stones, and saw a huge black class ring :headbang: I pulled it out and looked at it, and assumed it was silver because it was so black. I gave my hunting partner the sideways thumb sign to let him know I found a silver ring, and put it in my pouch. I was very excited though, as I had never found a class ring before, and it has been a long time goal of mine :icon_thumright: A few minutes later I found a religious medal that had a thick black coating on it, so I knew it was silver :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

A short time later, my partner and I walked back to the beach to take a break, and I pulled it out to show him. Looking at it closely, I saw that it was a college ring, and it was HEAVY. I then looked inside, and saw "10K" on the band It is a 1969 class ring, and I hope to track down the owner through research to return it. I am really looking forward to the process of doing the research and contacting the owner.

It weighs in at 29.7 grams! By far my heaviest gold ring ever.

Here are some pics of the ring before I cleaned it up...

IMG_6193.jpg

IMG_6195.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

And here it is after some heavy buffing...

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6213.jpg

IMG_6212.jpg

My partner also found a gold ring on Thursday - a 5 link puzzle ring that I still don't think he's been able to figure out :sign10:

On Friday we met up again at another beach just down a short distance from the beach we detected on Thursday, and again we entered the water with high hopes of finding gold! And about five minutes later, I did just that - my second class ring ever, and the second one in two days :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

This one came out pretty shiny, and it is a woman's high school ring from 1959 It is also 10K.

Here are some pics of this little beauty...

IMG_6244.jpg

IMG_6242.jpg

IMG_6262.jpg

And here are all of the rings and the religious medal...

IMG_6236.jpg

We tried getting out again on Friday, but it was raining and windy as heck, so we only lasted about 30 minutes in the water before calling it a day and going for a coffee and toasted muffin :notworthy:

Thanks for looking, and happy hunting!

Jim

Upvote 0
D

digum smacks

Re: Gold from the Far East...

wtg :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: we have a special name for those rings they are called "honkers"

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats. :thumbsup:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

"honkers" is a good discription for them. Good finds. :thumbsup:

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250

That's a monster ring. That guy must have been an offensive tackle ;D

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro

Just a guess here but judging the area by your finds you have there should be lots more there. Anytime old stuff like that is uncovered hit it hard it should be a bonanza.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a

That big class ring is more than $400.00 in melt value alone!! Not a bad day in the cold surf !! Great job! :icon_thumright:

Jaws2

Oct 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Excalibur 11, Fisher F75

Nice going on the rings!

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hoonkers is right! :headbang:

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
QUICK UPDATE

I tracked down the owner of the 1969 class ring through the college Alumni Association, and will be sending it to him this week. He lost it over 30 years ago playing football in the water at the beach.

I'm hoping the good karma from this will fill my scoop with lots of gold rings this summer :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Jim

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Karma will definately follow you Jim!! :thumbsup:
You done GOOD!! Gold Nuggets :hello:

Top Member Reactions