Fastest dry sand scoop?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The biggest trouble with breaking scoops down for travel is usually the handle locks up from sand and saltwater. I like the RGT Beachmaster scoop for dry sand and some wet sand digging. It is light weight but strong enough for wading however the basket is too small for the water (6 in.)

Some guys like to bend over with them one hand sifters and others like the longer handles for pushing in with your foot.

Attachments

• RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 546
  • RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 564
  • 706a.jpg
    706a.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 587

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Another vote for the RTG scoop. I have one with a steel bar across the back of the screen. Strong enough to step on, but the screening clears dry sand out in a heck of a hurry.

Chip V.

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Chip.

Do you happen to know the model number of your sand scoop with the bar at the back that allows you to step on it? Or did you add it yourself? Thanks.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Fastest dry sand scoop or technique?

I have seen video of VA Beach Max using a lightweight long handled scoop. Where he simply pushes the scoop in with his foot and then lifts & flings the material out in front of the excavation using both his arm to lift and his foot to quickly spread material in front of excavation. He scans the hole to verify he has moved the target and then locates the target in the "debri field" either visually or with his detector, then he quickly picks the item up with lip of his scoop.The whole operation took only seconds and involved no bending over or shaking of the scoop to clear sand.

Heres a link to video if anyone would like to watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NNjg_-aKeg&feature=player_embedded#!

So I make the argument that technique might be more important than the actuall scoop since the scoop wasn't actually used to sift the sand.

Although I would say the scoop has to be light, sturdy and have a long handle that is angled to the scoop.

Just my 2 cents.

Steve :-)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video of Max hunting...... :icon_thumright: Max is an expert, it was because of correspondence with Max and Sandman, that I first got turned on to how great a Sovereign GT is at a beach, Max told me how great the SOV is with the WOT coil added, especially when your not going in the water deep. I currently use the Sov GT with the SEF 15x18 inch Butterfly when hunting just the wet sand area.......

When in the wet sand I dig target, empty the scoop on ground, when target is no longer in hole I spread the pile with my foot then scan it again and kick section with target, then recover target..... That method works in wet sand where the water isn't flowing and receding over target your working, it want work if it is, and want work well in dry sand either....

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone,

Can anybody tell me how or what Max uses to attach his scoop to his belt. It looks like some sort of hook, but I cannot see close up on the video to see exactly how or what he uses to carry it. Thanks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good video of Max. :notworthy:

He mainly hunts the wet sand or "Lane" as he puts it so his method works best for him. If he had waves washing over his hole he would just hold the scoop in the water to let the waves do the work to sift the sand out, then lift his find. So the screen is a plus for letting the water do the work. In the dry sand a screen type scoop can have the item clear of sand by the time you pick it up to your other hand to slip in your pouch without studying it for all to see.

When Max and us wade we use other methods.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he made it himself. But there are belt attachments. I prefer to hang mine from my neck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggetshooter said:
Hello everyone,

Can anybody tell me how or what Max uses to attach his scoop to his belt. It looks like some sort of hook, but I cannot see close up on the video to see exactly how or what he uses to carry it. Thanks.

Here you go...

Maxs_scoop_holder.jpg

It is just a hook, like a carpenter uses to hold his hammer.....

Here is another picture of one of Max's harnesses. This picture Max's posted awhile back.
Maxsharness_II.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions