CZ-21 straight shaft and scoop question

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got my new CZ-21 out - dug a bunch of coins and many pulltabs and some junk jewelry. Lots of fun - reminds me a lot of my old CZ-5 but with no meter. I like the sounds it makes when it hits silver and the mid tones for gold.

First: I did not like the wobble where the lower rod connects - no way to tighten it. I am thinking about an Anderson upper straight shaft unit so the wobble stops. I chest mount the unit. Does anybody know if these upper units are interchangeable? There is an Anderson for sale that fits and Excalibur - will it it fit my shaft/coil on the Fisher CZ-21? If so I will purchase it. If not, - any alternatives to purchasing one for $120? Other brands? I could try to make one that is all one unit, but then it would not fit well into a suitcase for traveling.

Second: I have read about scoops, and basically it appears that you need one for water hunting and one for digging in dry/wet sand. Is there one available that works in all types of sand? Has anybody altered a water scoop by cutting out the bottom and putting mesh wire in it so it works in dry sand? I am trying to get one to work for both so that when traveling I only need one scoop.

Any and all ideas appreciated.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not help you with the shaft problem execpt to add shims to the shaft to tighten up but then it wouldn't work for travel. I traveled with mine but only stuck it in the van in the shower. I never had to take it down. Fisher sells a neck mount harness for the CZ-20/21 and it works with many other belt type holders.

As far as the one scoop does all I don't think such an animal exists. If it is strong enough to dig in the water with under harsh conditions, it is a little on the big and heavy side for dry sand sifting. Most two piece handles are a bear to take apart once you get them in saltwater. I like the RTG Beachmaster for dry sand but the basket is to small for the water where you need to remove material in a hurry before the next wave hits. I use a Sunspot in the water but there are other makes with better shaped handles. If only we had the Miller scoop back with the holes of the Sunspot.

Attachments

• RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 326
  • RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    RTG Beachmaster water scoop.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 317

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my Babbs scoop. It fits the bill and has been a jack of all trades. Water,wet sand and dry. I dont see it listed on Pro Scoops website anymore. I've had it awile and its the best ive put my hands on.

MVC-005F.jpg

MVC-006F.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions