MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Check out the Sea Hunter MK2 U can get a new one for around $600 and it is good machine if U can live with a PI :thumbsup:

D

digum smacks

what he said for the money you cant beat the sea hunter mark2 :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
I got my excal for about $550 used on feebay. If you pay with paypal, you have 30 days to dispute the item. You can think of it as a 30 day warranty.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys... The Beach Hunter 300 ID sure gets a lot of rave reviews... Pretty spendy new though.. Anyone know anything about the 1280 Aquanaut? It seems to have good reviews too.. Not as expensive either..

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
I would go with either Minelab or Tesoro. You can get a Tesoro Sand Shark for about 600.00 brand new. It should have a lifetime warranty, (I've heard speculation on this forum of a breakdown in this area), I am trying to take real good care of mine so I don't have to find out if the rumors are true. It's tough and durable. Of course it is a P.I. detector, so it will detect even the smallest piece of iron which translates to alot of digging. As someone mentioned, You can occasionally find the covented Minelab Xcal used for 600.00, but I would be leary as to why it would be that cheap as they usually go for 800.00 to 900.00 used and in good condition. These two brands of detectors are used by at least 90 percent of the hunters on this forum which translates to a lot of experience and access to any questions you might have concerning them. I hope this helps.

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Fisher 1280X is an excellent machine, but it is a single frequency detector and it is not designed for salt water use although some claim that it can be used with success in saltwater. The Fisher CZ-21 is a dual frequency machine (always locked in the salt mode) and can be used in both fresh and salt water and is waterproof down to 250 feet. They are sturdy and can be used for land, water, and scuba hunting. Lots of good accounts for the CZs and the Minelab Excaliburs as well. I have seen a number if Excals for sale in your price range recently, but have not seen hardly any CZs for sale. It all depends on what you like to listen to and what you can find in your price range. I have been out about 12 times now with my CZ and have had good luck finding some jewelry recently with it. With one of the rings (silver) I found, it was below a bottle cap. I got a low/high tone indicating iron and a good target. The ring was in the second scoop below the scoop that held the bottle cap. Both targets were in in shallow fresh watter -- about knee deep. The CZ is simple to operate but es not give you as much feedback (multi tone responses) as the Excalibur. Good luck.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a 5 yr old Excal that has just been recently completely rebuilt by Minelab, with paper to prove it... Guess it wouldnt go "silent threshold", he sent it in, and they upgraded and replaced just about everything.. Even gave him the newer battery pack.. Looks like new... Along with a Sunray S12 coil, the standard 10" on the machine, and the straight shaft...
I pick it up when I meet him in Miami on monday to hunt for a couple days...
Hope I can learn it quickly..

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Find yourself an aquanaut about 5 years old. Spend between 250-400. Just getting you started...in fresh water. Something for salt water...not sure. Minelab???

Silver Surfer said:
Thanks guys... The Beach Hunter 300 ID sure gets a lot of rave reviews... Pretty spendy new though.. Anyone know anything about the 1280 Aquanaut? It seems to have good reviews too.. Not as expensive either..

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beach Hunter ID 300 gets fav reviews from dudes that don't take it in the water or have arms like Popeye. The coil on this detector floats like a cork so you aways have to hole it down near the bottom. Also I haven't met one that didn't leak even with the orange O rings. An even if they didn't leak, they are only rated to 25 foot. I am not against White's, just this one for the water.

The Tiger Shark is a VLF and the Sand Shark is a Pulse. Both are very good with the nod going to the Tiger for freshwater due to hairpins lasting decades in freshwater. There is nothing wrong with the Sea Hunter Mark II and is a capable Pulse detector.

Everything that was said about the CZ-21 or 20 is true. Built like a tank and able to go into the wet 250 foot, though I only have had it down at about 160 the deepest I have dove. Batteries are seperated from the electronics so even if you didn't secure the door properly the guts are protected. I like it as much as my Excal. 1280 is fine for freshwater and I still use it sometimes.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I've had very good luck on feebay, just have to wait for the right one to come along, watch the sellers feed back..most of the time I will only go with a 1oo% and over a 100 transactions. I have lost a few and won a few good deals. I use a auction sniper, which will bid for you at the last few seconds, and most of the time it works. I have won, a DFX..495..2 excals..525, and 565..I did get a SE for 800, at the time it was a good price, and recently I nail a CZ20 for a great price...looks New {not even a scratch on the coil cover?}..........they are rare on feebay, if you have the time..it is worth waiting. You can't go wrong with the Excal.......Good Luck....joe

Attachments

• df.jpg
    df.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 670

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
I DO go into the water with my Beach Hunter 300! I use the chest mount and an after market shaft without any issues.

I've NEVER heard any one complain about the Beach Hunter 300 having any leaking issues, and to keep repeating that is not too cool. :icon_scratch:

I luv the "300" and have found many great things both in and out of the water with it (plenty of gold) :laughing7:

Thanks!

BobVA

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2009
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT (950, 8X14, 6X10 & 4X6 Coils), Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Bounty Hunter 505 Pro
After a lot of research, I picked up a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II for a little less than $500 on Craigslist this week. Got it Wednesday and have not taken it out other than for an air test. This is one solid detector. As luck would have it, I saw another one yesterday on CL for a little over $300. Heck of a bargin!!!! I also looked seriously at the White's as I'm a VERY satisfied MXT owner, but price was the deciding factor.

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buy the 300 one, pick the better of the two and sell the other....woot.

BobVA said:
After a lot of research, I picked up a Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II for a little less than $500 on Craigslist this week. Got it Wednesday and have not taken it out other than for an air test. This is one solid detector. As luck would have it, I saw another one yesterday on CL for a little over $300. Heck of a bargin!!!! I also looked seriously at the White's as I'm a VERY satisfied MXT owner, but price was the deciding factor.

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ended up not getting that particular Excal, since the night before we were to meet he was checking it out, and the headphones had a short in them
BUT...
The same night he called me, I saw a post on another forum where a guy had an Excal II, had bought two of them, and was wanting to get rid of one..
Bought it from him for $900 with a straight shaft and standard shaft, and 2 yrs left on his 3 yr warranty... I have already found gold and silver in the water with it.. First day at freshwater lake near my house, I found two rings in the 1st 10 minutes...
I am gonna love this machine, but still needing to memorize the tones....

Thanks for all the advice though!

pongo

May 6, 2009
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Whites
Sandman ,same old poop,sounds like you have an axe to grind! :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread