Help anyone ???

domino147

Greenie
Aug 26, 2008
Hi all, I am new to this metal detector thing, something I've wanted to try since I was a kid. Tomoorrow my husbby and I are going to the Hampton Beach are in New Hampshire and I am bringing both detectors. One is a Radio Shack model I got brand new at a yard sale and the other is a lesser model which I tried out in the back yard and found an old quarter. Both appear to work well . So, any tips on how to look at the beach,,,, or should we do deep beach sand on the water line ? I admit I have a lot to learn on this hobby and would love any tips or help you can offer. Thanks so much and I promise anything I find I will post pix with and my eternal gratitude ~

Upvote 0

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
With the Radio Shack detector, I would search the "blanket line". This is the imaginary line people form when they line up their beach blankets on the firm sand just above the high-tide mark. Often the sand above this is too soft to walk on, and the wet sand makes the detector go off falsely.

Good luck and welcome to Treasure Net!

Chip V.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the most addictive hobby I know where you can have the most fun with your clothes on. You can visit the Master Site to learn how to hunt beaches. I have the honor of meeting Norm many years ago and he taught me to do the "Happy Dance." :hello:

http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

I copied all the pages and made books of them for reference. Smartest thing I ever did. :read2:

OP
OP
D

domino147

Greenie
Aug 26, 2008
Thank you all for your help and info..I cannot wait to go tomorrow and see what shakes out... I can see where this is an addictive hobby and I more than likely will upgrade my detector for next year. I have a Radio Shack model that was brand new, got it at a yard sale, and the other one is a Bounty Hunter model that will be good to start with, lot less knobs..
Thanks again, will let you know how I do on my maiden voyage ! :icon_thumleft:

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000
Somewhere here there is a post by a TNet member who wrote a book about finding gold with low cost detectors. I saw this post just yesterday but can't find it again now.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you get in the wet sand and it starts going nuts falsing, turn down the sensitivity......Odds are you will have major problems in the wet salt sand.....

Good luck and welcome to the addition.............I am in rehab now for metal detecting :BangHead:, I have sold 4, and after much therapy, I'm down to just 6 detectors..... ;D That is on the wagon compared to some others..... :laughing9:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the bay beaches first to learn for awhile just as many people go to those as ocean beaches the early morning is best at sunrise hit the low tide line . Good Hunting :thumbsup: Dd60

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread