What kind of scoop should I use for shallow water/non-sand lake beaches.....

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Decided to get out this summer and hit some of these lakes in N.E. Oklahoma. Want to buy a scoop, but not sure what I should go with. Most of these lakes here have mud beaches or are very rocky...not a lot of sand it seems. A lot of the scoops I have looked at on the net seem a little flimsy for this type of shoreline, but I may be wrong. Being a complete novice at any kind of shallow water/beach hunting, I would sure appreciate any advice or recommendations.......

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used many type of beach scoops and settled on the Sunspot Stralth because of the amount of holes for fast drainage and strength. It has a wood handle that floats it upright too. The small holes in the front are for catching the small earring studs. A good SS scoop will last you years and I never have broke a handle.

Others like the Diamond Head and the RTG scoops by Reilly Treasure Gold.

http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

Attachments

• Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 910
  • Stealth Scoops.jpg
    Stealth Scoops.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 853
OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
Wow...I really like that one.....I am just hesitant to spend that much, not knowing if water hunting is something I am going to stick with or not....

OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

Has anyone had any experience with this one?

Attachments

• knee_high.gif
    knee_high.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 841

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1. find a strong scoop with a good digging lip(more like a shovel) holes for sifting not important!!!
2. build a sifter that you can tow behind you.
when you find a target, dig/scoop it up then dump all the contents into your floating sifter. the natural wave action or your movement through the water will sift and wash away the mud/muck/sand.

OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

Thanks for the advice....I appreciate it. I can definately make a small floating sifter...thinking of one of these two scoops.....I like the way the one in the first picture is built, just not sure about the short handle...the price is about the same on both, but the knee high (second picture) looks a little more comfortable to use.....

Attachments

• knee_high.gif
    knee_high.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 869
  • scoop_519-33_f.jpg
    scoop_519-33_f.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 753
  • knee_high.gif
    knee_high.gif
    15.2 KB · Views: 807

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
1. find a strong scoop with a good digging lip(more like a shovel) holes for sifting not important!!!
2. build a sifter that you can tow behind you.
when you find a target, dig/scoop it up then dump all the contents into your floating sifter. the natural wave action or your movement through the water will sift and wash away the mud/muck/sand.
The use of a screen sifter that float near you means something else you have to carry to the water. If you then decide to hunt the shore sand, what are you going to do with the sifter. I gave up using a sifter about 20 years ago for just that reason.

The sand scoop with the handle curved from the front is more for pulling it toward you on the sand and not for water use where you need to get a bunch of sand out in a hurry. With all the holes all you need is a shake and the scoop is empty except for the goodie.

OP
OP
willisjj

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used

Sandman..so are you saying the first picture might be a better bet....

I was thinkin bout the floating sifter too and don't think I will be hunting in water that deep.....I hunt with a Sovereign and don't wanna chance getting the control box wet...may buy a water detector if it's something I end up liking.....

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a sifter is a matter of personal choice and yes.... extra equipment. go ahead and get what you can afford!!!! the one thing i would suggest is a longer handle so you dont have to stoop over too much.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willisjj said:
Thanks for the advice....I appreciate it. I can definately make a small floating sifter...thinking of one of these two scoops.....I like the way the one in the first picture is built, just not sure about the short handle...the price is about the same on both, but the knee high (second picture) looks a little more comfortable to use.....

If your going into the water, both of the scoops you showed will not work very well at all. They are both short handle scoops, more for dry sand, what you need is a scoop you can use that has a handle long enough to get leverage when your knee deep, mud and muck is heavy. Remember, if you decide you do not like water hunting you can sell a used scoop and get all most all, if not all your money back, or if you buy new you can get most of your money back....

I use a sovereign sometimes as well when water is calm, I can hunt in knee to mid thigh with it, and would not use either of those scoops.....I strongly recommend you think about a longer handle scoop. Those scoops will break on you with in a month if your trying to dig in mud and or rocks......

I use the Beach Brute II with a Stainless Steel lip added...

D

digum smacks

well if you dont like gold decide not to water hunt :laughing9: .like everything else you get what you pay for nuttal,sunspot,rtg,"long handled" scoop not the short one like you showed unless you want to dive for you finds in knee deep water with that scoop.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
I also recommend the Beach Brute II. Be warned though. It is a big scoop and it takes a bit of brawn to use it effectively.

I would recommend getting rid of the sheet metal screws on it and put in stainless steel bolts with stainless nylock nuts. Drill through the one screw hole on the handle to allow the bolt to go through.

The stainless steel lip is also good advice. I found putting the lip on the inside is better for me as the stainless steel allows for the mud to slip out of the scoop a bit better. Some like it on the outside some on the inside. The lip will also prevent having to straighten out the aluminum lip on the Brute every so often. You can really put a lot of pressure on the Beach Brute with the rubber foot stand on it. I like that stand because it allows me to put all my weight on the scoop without slipping off.

For me, the handle on the Beach Brute II is a bit too long. So I cut about 9 inches off of it. I then drilled the handle and put a swivel on the end to keep the rope I use to drag it behind me in the dry sand.
In the water, I carry it over my left shoulder. The rope allows me to drop the scoop and not worry about losing it. I just drop it if needed and then tug on the rope to bring the handle right back up to me.

Attachments

• SCOOPLIP.JPG
    SCOOPLIP.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 710
  • BOLTS.JPG
    BOLTS.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 664
  • BOLTS.JPG
    BOLTS.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 611
  • SCOOPLIP.JPG
    SCOOPLIP.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 603

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
Both of the scoops you have shown are not going to do what you need.
You do need a long handled stainless, or at least SS tip.
Get the biggest baddest scoop you can afford. If water hunting turns out not to be your thing, you can almost always sell the scoop at near what you paid for it. If you go cheap, you will just have torn up trash......
Getting a good signal and breaking your scoop is one of the most disgusting things that can happen........ HH Gayle

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willisjj said:
Sandman..so are you saying the first picture might be a better bet....

I was thinkin bout the floating sifter too and don't think I will be hunting in water that deep.....I hunt with a Sovereign and don't wanna chance getting the control box wet...may buy a water detector if it's something I end up liking.....
The scoop in the first picture is a short handle jobbie and doesn't have enough holes to sift the mud out. As Treasue Hunter says you are going to need something with "hair on it." (my wording) :laughing7:

SouthArk

Mar 23, 2005
South-Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Detector Pro Pirate, Troy Shadow X-5, Fisher F75
I know you mentioned that the prices you were seeing on some scoops were more than you wanted to pay..... until you know if you were gonna like this kind of hunting or not. But, the RTG line of scoops appear to be among the best that I've researched. I just ordered one.... getting the RTG Monster. It all Stainless, and will hold up well digging in the gravel-bottomed creeks and streams we have here. Over the last couple of summers, I've already found out that I like this kind of hunting!

Attachments

• swimminholsfinds.jpg
    swimminholsfinds.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 608
  • swimminholsfinds.jpg
    swimminholsfinds.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 615

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cabana Dan said:
Who makes the "Brute" and where can I get one?

Cabana Dan

http://www.rtgstore.com/

But I think you would like the Sunspot better. Pic is of Sunspot Stealth with mods to angle the handle which floats.

Attachments

• Prototype_1_(469x800)_-_Copy.jpg
    Prototype_1_(469x800)_-_Copy.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 623

Cabana Dan

Greenie
May 9, 2009
I am new to this and it seems that you are a seasoned veteran. I very much value your opinion. My searching will be done in shallow Gulfcoast water off of Naples Florida. Can you tell me why you like the Sunspot better? I was kind of sold on the brute with the "kick pad" but what do I know.

Cabana Dan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread