DFX tweaks for beach

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey folks, been MDing for a little while (not near as serious as most of you) and mainly like the beach. Just for the record I'm in Texas and go to Galveston.
Does anyone have a few tweaks I can make to my DFX to help with more depth and gold/silver signals? I've tried adjusting the PreAmp and AC (separately of course) and I've used the Mixed Mode. All seemed to help with depth as I can get pulltabs and coins up to about 8" or so in wet or dry sand which I guess is good depth with this machine on the beach, but I just don't seem to be able pickup on the gold or silver. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but it seems like I read were most of the jewelry is fairly deep especially in the wet sand. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If nothing else I enjoy looking at everyone else's finds LOL. THANKS ???

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you played with the sens, and preamp gain and didn't get chatter in the wet sand you are going to get as deep as this machine can go. For more depth you need a Minelab or a Pulse. Not all the gold rings in the wet sand are deep so you just need to hunt in All Metal and dig everything till you get a Minelab or Pulse.

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the reply Sandman, I guess I'll keep playing with this one for now. It's still fun and who knows maybe one day I'll stumble across the "big one".

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test with a gold necklace and I bet you will hardly hear a scratch... Now silver will scream if you hit silver, I suggest using tone ID on. Now go to the vdi edit and accept 0-7 I believe. Now try again, I know it made a huge difference for me. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks for the tip SS, I'll give it a try.

JRich98150

May 29, 2007
Middleburg, Florida 32068
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Over here in Florida the Beach & Jewelry or whatever under the preset programs is working just fine for me. I get more than I want to dig out. I don't search in the water just the sand. Have you used that program? If so how did it work for you?

JRich

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
The DFX is a great beach detector I have found 1000's of $ worth of gold with mine at the beach. Set it up in relic mode accept down to -30 up to +95 run the gain and AC sensitivity as high as you can and still get it to run smooth on the threshold. Get a bigfoot coil and you will cover more area and those boys with there minelab sovereign's will be jealous with all the gold you will be finding.
Stock coil will work fine and is better when there are not fresh drops as it will go deeper. This is a tried and true set up have about 600hrs of beach hunting with this set up. Hunting 5 days
a month about 8hrs a day May June July, and August. Sold at least $3000 worth of scrap gold three years in a row. Also had a couple good rings I sold or kept that were not scrap. Used the DFX for years. I also have a excal for the water but the Aquasound is my weapon of choice these days. Your DFX is more than capable of doing great on the beach.

Jason

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to agree with sandman dig everything!!!! until you get familiar with your detector or upgrade later it will pay off eventually like finding the gold!!!!! HH Chug!!! digging everything got me 30.6 grams See avatar PIC!!!

Sorry about the caps in my first response i fixed it red distracted me its the 16Th anniversary of the first day we lived together!!!! or as she calls it ditching the ex!!!!!

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Jason in TN said:
The DFX is a great beach detector I have found 1000's of $ worth of gold with mine at the beach. Set it up in relic mode accept down to -30 up to +95 run the gain and AC sensitivity as high as you can and still get it to run smooth on the threshold. Get a bigfoot coil and you will cover more area and those boys with there minelab sovereign's will be jealous with all the gold you will be finding.
Stock coil will work fine and is better when there are not fresh drops as it will go deeper. This is a tried and true set up have about 600hrs of beach hunting with this set up. Hunting 5 days
a month about 8hrs a day May June July, and August. Sold at least $3000 worth of scrap gold three years in a row. Also had a couple good rings I sold or kept that were not scrap. Used the DFX for years. I also have a excal for the water but the Aquasound is my weapon of choice these days. Your DFX is more than capable of doing great on the beach.

Jason

Thanks for the tip Jason. I never thought about trying the Relic program on the beach, but I will now. Sounds very promising.

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
JRich98150 said:
Over here in Florida the Beach & Jewelry or whatever under the preset programs is working just fine for me. I get more than I want to dig out. I don't search in the water just the sand. Have you used that program? If so how did it work for you?

JRich

Thanks for the response JRich. I have used the preset beach program and it works ok, I just don't ever seem to hit any gold so that's why I was looking for something else to try.

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Chug said:
I have to agree with sandman dig everything!!!! until you get familiar with your detector or upgrade later it will pay off eventually like finding the gold!!!!! HH Chug!!! digging everything got me 30.6 grams See avatar PIC!!!

Sorry about the caps in my first response i fixed it red distracted me its the 16Th anniversary of the first day we lived together!!!! or as she calls it ditching the ex!!!!!

Chug thanks for the tip. I have defenitely been digging ever signal, like you say it's got to pay off eventually. And when it does all of you will be seeing it for sure. LOL

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Thanks to all who responded on my question so far. I have been watching this board for quite sometime, unfornuately I've had nothing great to post yet but hoefully soon.
It's nice knowing there's help out there when needed, there is obviously a wealth of knowledge on this site. Good luck and be safe...

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston
I know nothing about the DFX, BUT you need to understand that Galveston was scraped clean with IKE. We lost 15+ feet of sand in most places, especially near the seawall. Good finds have been very few and far between. With all the new sand that has been dredged and dumped, we are all waiting for the contributors to return.....Have faith and maintain the positive attitude. Things will improve....SOON. HH Gayle

dfxone

Dec 12, 2005
ventura, ca.
Detector(s) used
whites DFX, Sovereign GT
TexasRT, I agree with Jasons information. The Relic mode is the best for the beaches with the Bigfoot coil. GH, Don

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The DFX has trouble finding thin gold anything if i lay a 18k chain on the ground the DFX will grunt almost miss it but in a custom mix mode program i use its better comes up between a foil pull tab signal and also it depends on what coil you are using ? i use a SEF 10x12 and can get down to 10 inches i cant go to pre-amp gain 4 the noise will drive me crazy if TID is on but you can get used to it just keep your sweep speed at 1 ,in plowed fields i have found copper bb,s and rivets at 8 to 10 inches try looking for a bb in a 10 inch hole lol :laughing7: ive hit silver coins at 8 inches and nearly blew my head phones off !!. I found a really good mixed mode program i use all the time on wet sand and fields it works great you can adjust it to your liking i block out +94 +95 except -9 to +93 block edit .Good luck Dd60
http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6852&sid=42e906c4787399a63b002c7fc9eba000

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Deepdiger60 said:
The DFX has trouble finding thin gold anything if i lay a 18k chain on the ground the DFX will grunt almost miss it but in a custom mix mode program i use its better comes up between a foil pull tab signal and also it depends on what coil you are using ? i use a SEF 10x12 and can get down to 10 inches i cant go to pre-amp gain 4 the noise will drive me crazy if TID is on but you can get used to it just keep your sweep speed at 1 ,in plowed fields i have found copper bb,s and rivets at 8 to 10 inches try looking for a bb in a 10 inch hole lol :laughing7: ive hit silver coins at 8 inches and nearly blew my head phones off !!. I found a really good mixed mode program i use all the time on wet sand and fields it works great you can adjust it to your liking i block out +94 +95 except -9 to +93 block edit .Good luck Dd60
http://www.dfxonly.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6852&sid=42e906c4787399a63b002c7fc9eba000

Thank Deepdiger I'm going to give that program a try. Running AC @ 80, that's the first time I've seen that on a program. I know it's just a starting point but thats pretty high.
I just have the stock 9.5 coil for now.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TX I'm with ya new to this machine... w/ stock 9.5 but can't decide big sef or the 6x10 eleptical, I hear it has great separation between targets... HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread