Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

So, I found this small copper "suitcase" thingy in the wet sand.
Beachcache.jpg

Beachcache4.jpg

It was nicely done, crimped delicately, so of course, I ripped it open with needle nose pliers to see what was inside.
There were a bunch of tightly wrapped pieces of paper inside....... sealed with plastic wrap......
Thought I had found a drug cache.
Beachcache5.jpg

But it wasn't to be. There were small, colored pieces of fabric inside each piece of paper, along with some unknown, stinky item in each.
Beachcache1.jpg

Beachcache2.jpg

I can't make out the writing on the paper, but it definitely isn't English. Maybe this is some kind of religious / burial thing? Anyone out there run into this kind of thing before? I've probably released some evil curse on myself by opening it. - Jim

Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Copper "briefcase" - weird stuff inside it

it looks like chinese to me -- def a "oriental" language -- so it could be --korean, japanese or chinese

"prayer papers" are often set adrift at sea (or burnt at shines) to be sent to the "gods" for blessings .

often in the folded "prayer papers" is a bit of cloth of the dead persons clothing (or living persons in some cases) and food is inside them --the bit of cloth from the person is from the persons clothing and a food tidbit is a food offering for the "gods" hindus also use them as well often.

I';d say you found a "prayer box" set adrift in the sea --with prayers in it and little offerings in them.

wrecker

Mar 5, 2008
Germany
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Minelab Excalibur 1000

I don't know- but I wouldn't feel comfortable having that in my house. Probably I would try and put it back together and get it back to where it came from.

OP
OP
ziphius

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field

Yeah, I was kidding about the evil curse stuff. I'm a nonbeliever anyway (whole other subject, heh?). Thanks for the replies. One of the more interesting things I've dug up.

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like a "secret" treasure map written in a foreign language with bugers stuffed in it to keep people away with disgust from looking at it. Discard the bugers, and try to transcribe the writing to the "hidden" secrets. :read2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread