How to Handle Others Detecting Nearby

D

digum smacks

never detected before? you cant get close to other detectorist when hunting you will pick up their machine.also you wave and if they want to stop and chat they will come to you.but i see most anyone on here if they knew it was you they would turn and go in the opposite direction :tongue3:

OP
OP
O

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

No, I knew about the interference of 2 detectors in close proximity. My question had more to do with 'territorialism.' In other words, if I show up at a beach and someone is already detecting there, is it considered rude or ill-advised to hunt around the same area, or does one usually keep a distance of at least, say, roughly 300 yards between each other.

And snooksion, as much as I would like to meet some of you all, if you run from me that means more for me! :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
In other words, if I show up at a beach and someone is already detecting there, is it considered rude or ill-advised to hunt around the same area, or does one usually keep a distance of at least, say, roughly 300 yards between each other.

300 yards.... ::)

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Overkill Overkill said:
Thanks for the replies.

No, I knew about the interference of 2 detectors in close proximity. My question had more to do with 'territorialism.' In other words, if I show up at a beach and someone is already detecting there, is it considered rude or ill-advised to hunt around the same area, or does one usually keep a distance of at least, say, roughly 300 yards between each other.

300 yards away, guess you really haven't been detecting before.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
Overkill Overkill said:
I guess the protocol for when you have others detecting nearby to where you are detecting is to keep a respectful distance away from one another? Are there any good 'rules of thumb' when encountering fellow detectorists?

You should stay about as far away as you think they might be able to throw a quarter. :laughing7:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depending on the other hunter that is there, if he or she is moving parallel to the shore line, step a few feet to either side of their line and walk parallel to the shore or do a shore to ocean pattern....the thing is to try to be nice and not just walk in front of the other hunter, even though I have had several do that to me......just cut me off. I imagine they may not have seen me or whatever. Most hunters will stop and say hi. Most will tell you about things they found the other day or may say they haven't found anything today but yet they have a bag full of goodies that they say is junk (those are the smart ones).

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
get close enought to smack their shins with your detector head as you swing it wildly -- hit them repeatedly until they leave :D

just kidding * stay a respectful distance away to prevent "cross talk" or chatter from your machines say at least 50 to 100 feet -- feel free to wave "hi" --the person might or might not feel like "talking"--if so they will either wave back or come over to you --( no wave of "freindliness" --stay away ) and keep yer distance --for some folks --detecting is their "alone" time , not "meet and greet" time --plus others are just plain ole greedy buggers (what are they doing on my turf? sorts --or are plain old "unsocialible" grouch types)

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw handfuls of tiny steel balls and copper bb,s in the sand when the other guy isnt looking that will keep him in place for hours :laughing7:

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My God! Paralysis by analysis. Overkill, I hope preparation for your first date went better than your preparation for your first hunt. For God's sake just do it. I deduce from your vocabulary that you are a fairly educated man but from your questions you are a person with little "real life" experience. The kind of experience that provides common sense answers to situations not previously experienced but would be intuitively obvious even to the most casual observer. Miss Manners will not chide you for doing something wrong, let your conscience and upbringing tell you what is right and wrong morally and there are no "perfect detectors" or technique.

I hope that you take this more as advice rather than criticism. Part of the joy of hunting (or life) is using your deductive reasoning powers to get and better your results. There is no perfect solution to either. Each person takes his own path. Taking the first step is the only thing you will have in common with the rest of us. From there on out it's a free for all and that's the great fun of it all. You have to make the first step though. Take it from an old guy - wisdom comes from experience and that experience includes our mistakes and triumphs. I am finished pontificating.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just go over and talk to them after I turned off my detector off course. May or may not be a nice person, could turn out to be a hunting buddy. Already have something in common. I have found most are friendly and will talk for a few minutes and just go about thier bussiness as I do mine.

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Since you are a newbie (or almost a newbie soon) let the other guy take the lead. If he waves at you wave back and if it's convenient go say hi. From his body language you might be able to tell if he wants to chat about detecting.

For me detecting is a very casual, relaxing experience. I love the solitude but also enjoy people asking me questions. I enjoy being a representative of the detecting community.

I agree that you are over-thinking this a bit much. Hey..it's a hobby and fun ... not "Work" (except for Joesen).

Oh, and we want to see All your finds from the trip. Have a great time!

HH Joe

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to come up behind them and say what the hell do you think your doing! LOL it always makes someone jump! LOL. I did that to this guy digging for arrowheads one time and I swear he almost had a heart attack! LOL. No dont do that! Youll kill someone in this hobby! Be nice and theyll be nice!

CB
I

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! You guys are being way too hard on the OP. It is an honest and decent question. He's basically asking what you would do if you had someone else come into the area you were detecting. If it doesn't bother most people then just say so. No need to be nasty about it.

The bottom line is that some detectorists are highly territorial and others are just fine with it. You have to feel out the situation. Give a wave and see how the other person responds. Some people are jerks and don't want you anywhere near them. Others, like me, have no problem sharing and would even chat if you were so inclined. There is no proper "protocol" so you'll have to wing it.

Good luck and enjoy your trip! :icon_thumleft:

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
You might even mention that you are a newbie and ask whoever you come across what is acceptable. If you mention that youre a newbie they might grant you certain exceptions or give some pointers.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You do not need another detectorist permission to hunt, as long as you are far enough away from them that you do not notice any interference on your detector then hunt away.....You don't ask permission to swim near them....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread