• sand scoop eBay.jpg
    sand scoop eBay.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 2,183
Upvote 0

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
bigcypresshunter said:
Its got to be better than my homemade collender on a stick lol.

It looks heavier than the stealth. Would this be a problem?

If the wood handle is a problem in rough surf, couldnt I just use an iron pipe?

All my scoops have wood handles and I hunt the ocean surf with no problems. The floating handle is a big plus if U lose your scoop (I have mine on a teather) and it just bobbs behind me till I need it

Attachments

• scoops.jpg
    scoops.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,290

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nuggetshooter, I have been using the right angle scoops for years and am about to give up the Sunspot for a new type that has the Looped handle like on the old Miller Scoops that Ron Lord uses. With the looped handle you can position the point down for a firm bite on the bottom with out having to bend over or get your face in the water every time when you are out chest deep. It is also easier to carry with the loop.

Am thinking of adding a looped handle to the Sunspot.

Attachments

• Loop Handle.jpg
    Loop Handle.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,490
  • Loop Handle.jpg
    Loop Handle.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 1,488

Normann

Mar 18, 2009
Thailand
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Seahunter Mark II,Fisher Goldbug 2
The scoop looks nice, but what about the balance ? The handle is mounted in the bottom of the scoop,and no gravity in bottom.
This make the scoop top heavy filled with sand and you need to use more power to keep it straight, i think that's the reason for the free gloves. And with the handle in a 90 degree angel is not easy to make that first dig good. My scoops handle is 45 degree and i can allways see the toe when digging. My scoop has the handle welded to the top of the scoop, makes it in balance when loaded and never tip over.

Attachments

• My scoope.jpg
    My scoope.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,186
  • My scoope,.jpg
    My scoope,.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,166

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK - now that you all have posted pictures (thanks), I think I can get at my question better. Do they make a scoop like those pictured by Erikk, but with a handle angled like Normann? And, between the two styles, which is the better choice. I am trying to decide between the two styles, but it seems to me, and especially based on your comment Sandman (regarding the curved handle) that the angled handle would be easier to dig with than the one set to 90 degrees. Any pros and cons on both styles would be appreciated. I have never used a scoop in water other than just a few inches deep, and I used my sand scoop that is really not designed for water. I got a signal, however and wanted to investigate - lucky think I did since it was a nice silver ring. But, I am at a loss when it comes to what style to choose for the water. I like the idea of the handle floating so you can find the scoop, but I have not seen any that are angled with the wooden one attached that are fixed at an angle. Thanks again everyone - great info here.

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nuggetshooter said:
OK - now that you all have posted pictures (thanks), I think I can get at my question better. Do they make a scoop like those pictured by Erikk, but with a handle angled like Normann? And, between the two styles, which is the better choice. I am trying to decide between the two styles, but it seems to me, and especially based on your comment Sandman (regarding the curved handle) that the angled handle would be easier to dig with than the one set to 90 degrees. Any pros and cons on both styles would be appreciated. I have never used a scoop in water other than just a few inches deep, and I used my sand scoop that is really not designed for water. I got a signal, however and wanted to investigate - lucky think I did since it was a nice silver ring. But, I am at a loss when it comes to what style to choose for the water. I like the idea of the handle floating so you can find the scoop, but I have not seen any that are angled with the wooden one attached that are fixed at an angle. Thanks again everyone - great info here.

Nuggetshooter,
I have used scoops like Eriks, with both an angled handle and a 90 deg handle. I prefer the 90 degree handle because I can pick it up without dumping the contents out. I dont't have to put my face in the water to dig with it, but I am over 6ft. tall
With the handle angled, it is a little easier to dig, but I wasn't strong enough to keep the the basket tilted enough to keep the contents from spilling out without "choking" way down the handle which did require putting my face int the water. I have had md'ers tell me that they definely prefer the angled handles if they hunt around docks, because they can dig under the edges and this is pretty much impractical with a 90 degree handle. If you have a chance try both, b4 you buy.
Steve

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
nuggetshooter said:

U want an angle do this: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=47243

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the posts and pix. Kaptainkosmic - I am not sure I understand the problem with the angled handle. If you pulled back on the angled handle, would the scoop not tip up and make the sand etc stay in the scoop - especially with a handle up 14-16 inches? Is it because of how tall you are?

What do you all think of this scoop? http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/Detail?no=1
Anybody use/used it? If so, any pros or cons? What do you think about the fiberglass handle vs wood?

Thanks again for all you posts and opinions. All helpful in getting me to make the final decision.

Have a great rest of the week.

Darryl

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Im having trouble deciding too. Im leaning toward this one but the holes are kinda small.

Attachments

• proscoop revca.jpg
    proscoop revca.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,486

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Im having trouble deciding too. Im leaning toward this one but the holes are kinda small.
I like the amount of holes but they are for the sand only and would hold to many shells of small rocks. If only they were bigger holes. Also the handle attachment is for square handles.

"What do you all think of this scoop?" http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/Detail?no=1
This Diamond Head is a nice scoop and is cheaper than the Sunspot, but with it's angled bottom it tips over if resting on bottom. I guess we have to pick the best one and get used to using it as our preferences change. :coffee2:

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
nuggetshooter said:
Kaptainkosmic - I am not sure I understand the problem with the angled handle. If you pulled back on the angled handle, would the scoop not tip up and make the sand etc stay in the scoop - especially with a handle up 14-16 inches? Is it because of how tall you are?

What do you all think of this scoop? http://www.nuttallenterprises.com/servlet/Detail?no=1
Anybody use/used it? If so, any pros or cons? What do you think about the fiberglass handle vs wood?

Thanks again for all you posts and opinions. All helpful in getting me to make the final decision.

Have a great rest of the week.

Darryl

darryl, i have not tried any of the helper handles like the back saver or pro handle i'm sure they would aid in keeping the contents from spilling out just like choking down does, either way in chest deep water your going to end up putting your face in the water. if your wet up to your neck does it really matter? i like the wood handle at 90 degrees because it floats & can be lifted straight up without spilling contents. it can be broken, with that said i have had the same wooden handle on my first scoop for over five years and it is still going strong. i have not used a fiber glass handle but they appear to be very strong, they do not float without help. i prefer the small holes because i dump scoop contents into my sifter and let waves & gravity do the work. no matter what size holes your scoop has you will spend quite a bit of time looking for your targets in your scoop. and the problem is compounded when a small target slips thru a hole and you have to either scoop again or decide the target isn't worth the effort.

steve

Attachments

• rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,050
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,077
  • straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    straight handled scoop with sifter on shoulder resized.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 1,001
  • sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    sifter with toe ring and clad #1 resized.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,007
  • rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    rev c floating in sifter 1 resized.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,013

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again Steve and Sandman -

I am going to call about the Diamond Head. The website says the fiberglass handle is air injected and waterproof for floation. I am wondering if it stands straight up in the water. I will report back what the manufacturing company tells me. Thanks again.

Darryl

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Normann said:
The scoop looks nice, but what about the balance ? The handle is mounted in the bottom of the scoop,and no gravity in bottom.
This make the scoop top heavy filled with sand and you need to use more power to keep it straight, i think that's the reason for the free gloves. And with the handle in a 90 degree angel is not easy to make that first dig good. My scoops handle is 45 degree and i can allways see the toe when digging. My scoop has the handle welded to the top of the scoop, makes it in balance when loaded and never tip over.
Is your scoop homemade? It doesnt look as if enough holes were drilled in it.

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, I called and talked to the builder of the Diamondhead Scoop. The handle is set back an an angle to make it easier to dig, and the handle does float so that when it is in water it will stand straight up. It obviously will sink if it is in 10 feet of water, but it does still stand straight. If you want to drill a hole in the end for a rope or put a eye loop in the end, he will make the handle with a solid plug in the end to accommodate your needs. I think that is the way I am going to go. Hope this info helps.

Darryl

Normann

Mar 18, 2009
Thailand
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Seahunter Mark II,Fisher Goldbug 2
bigcypresshunter said:
Normann said:
Is your scoop homemade? It doesnt look as if enough holes were drilled in it.
I made it in a local ss welding shop here in Thailand. I made the plans, i payed 40 usd for it. And yes it is enough holes and the bucket its quick empty.

Attachments

• Scoop.JPG
    Scoop.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,861

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
Whatever scoop U buy U will quickly learn that there is no one scoop fits all. If U are the casual water hunter then U might B ok with one but if U water hunt on a regular basis U will need several scoops. None of them will last forever under heavy use and there is nothing worse than being miles from anywhere and having your scoop break. Or, U find out that the area U are going to hunt is full of shells that will not empty through the holes in your scoop and U need a lift handle to get the scoop up to see what you got for a target. U might find yourself in some rough water where a 6 inch scoop opening just doesn't get it because U R not able to get the target on the first scoop before U get knocked off the spot & can't find it again.
Research is fine but U will not know for sure till U actually get out there and dig and find out for yourself which one is right for U .02

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
RTG scoops are great. They make both aluminum and stainless steel ones. I got a 7 inch stainless hercules scoop. Its a beast. Here is a link to it...cost a pretty penny...but worth it. Only problem is its heavy. 9 lbs I think.

http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgroyalscoops.htm

Second one up all the way down the bottom. HH -Joe

Phil_R

Mar 27, 2010
Live Oak, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Garrett / Minelab / Whites / XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Anybody know anything about this scoop?

http://tinyurl.com/2857y72

I bought one... well made, works great for wet sand / waters edge hunting. Post hole digger handle ($10.00 @ local hardware) is a nice snug fit, (2) 1/4" x 2" stainless bolts and self locking nuts finish the job.

Click thumbnail for large picture.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
I know I wouldn't pay $100.00 for it. Here, go to this guy- http://www.rtgstore.com/, he's local and Kevin was a good guy and i'm sure they could use the business. They sell all kinds of scoops.
I bought one of the RTG scoops and I like it except for one thing... It is really hard to get it to stay in position when stepping on it to dig... I got it to work slightly better by hammering it a bit and changing it from perfectly round to slightly oval, but it still could use something like a foot pad on the back..
Oh, and the handle would pull off with only the slightest pull when it was wet, so I changed it out to a sticky handle bar handle and it doesnt budge, even when wet...
Very well made scoop though, and I should get years of use out of it...

Attachments

• 703stainlessbig.jpg
    703stainlessbig.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 820

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
bigcypresshunter said:
Heres another good looking scoop but I dont know the price yet. http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,310353.0.html

Here it is. Not much cheaper than the Stealth. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html

I have one of the older versions from Prostock and can't kill it, bend it, dent it....etc!

I hunt hard in all types of water with it, shells, rocks, mud, clay, you name it and I've abused the scoop.
It's still going strong after a few years too......similar type as the latest version without the added lip on top.

The owner is also top notch to deal with and been in business I think since 1969 or somewhere around there!

Yep, he knows how to make a scoop! I should also mention that I damaged and made useless two other top branded scoops (won't say though)!

Thanks! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Phil_R said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Anybody know anything about this scoop?

http://tinyurl.com/2857y72

I bought one... well made, works great for wet sand / waters edge hunting. Post hole digger handle ($10.00 @ local hardware) is a nice snug fit, (2) 1/4" x 2" stainless bolts and self locking nuts finish the job.
Thanks for the reply. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions