Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit three beaches.. last beach, bingo, Ya coulda knocked me over with a feather on this one, My first ever 8 reale 1778 and its in mint condition, all the lettering and details on hair, face even the shield is perfect. This is exactly how I found it..

please excuse my lack of photography skills..

see my last post for the best pictures I could get.

Attachments

• pcof8front.JPG
    pcof8front.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 1,273
  • pcof8front2.JPG
    pcof8front2.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,267
  • pcof8back.JPG
    pcof8back.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,268
Upvote 0

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
For those that doubt that that is a real "Big 8".....

That coin came from a beach where they have been digging a number of 1778 8 reale coins (all from the same wreck most likely) The coins were pumped in with beach replenishment....I have found a couple so far and they are in really excellent shape.....there are a few folks that have done really well there and have devoted most of their winter season pounding that beach as much as possible. Here is a pic of one of those Big 8's that was dug this past winter by Bruce Sinclair...It has been alot of fun and verrry interesting to say the least...

Attachments

• big 8.jpg
    big 8.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 825

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
with the weight being correct -- think you got a "reale" one ----booty seems you find the "spot" at last --now go get em tiger.

first time I ever heard of beach renourishment doing much good for beach detectorist

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
That a girl! I told you that you'd find something great one day! If, as the previous poster said, people have been finding them there, I'd get my butt back there & see if any more pop up! Great coin!

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
GREAT FIND.

Not sure where you found it, but we got all of these in one day from a beach. Ended up with over 130 of them over 4-5 hunts and we were pretty jazzed up finding them.

Keep at it...there are more out there !

Attachments

• Aug22009.jpg
    Aug22009.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 744
OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, The Rover,

I think if that was what I found in one day, you woulda had to call 911.. that is totally awesome and two gold ta boot.. NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE am thinking we are on the same place... congrats big time to you..

I am so very happy with my one.. but I will keep learning and keep on plugging along..

thank you for sharing too.. I loved it..

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
BootyBay...that is my motivation picture

I look at that pic every so often and it motivates me to get out there and plug away no matter what. Ya never know what you are going to find, and when the day comes when you hit lots of great targets.

Last several times out at that location, not much found. Word got out, and there were tons of hunters scouring all over, even bringing 2 box locators down there !

I still think there are lots spread around, but they may be miles apart. If there are pockets of them like we found, I think they are 5-6 feet deep (if not more). I can't imagine when the next major storm hits, how many people will be at this spot.

Still...gotta get out there to find em.

JC

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jeff, thanks so much, I remember ya from wildwood.. nice hearing from ya big time..

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Amazing! Congrats! :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Surprising condition. I've never dug old Silver (I'm talking 50 -75 years old) that hasn't come out black/gray beach toast. What's the secret to the great condition on those wreck coins? They were encased in sand and protected somehow?

Very interesting.

HH Joe

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Did you find that in a new england beach? Jesh what a good find! By eye I found a 1888 silver dollar on a private beach in plymouth when I was 10. Id love to go back there....cant remember exactly what beach it was though.

OP
OP
bootybay

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found it on a NJ beach..

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rae, your persistance sure paid off. Congrats on such a super find. You deserve it my friend..Hugsss..

Molly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread