The bank that never shuts.

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Since purchasing an Excal 2 years and 4 months ago I have regularly received a copy of the Minelab Times.
In this time period I have been fortunate enough to have found 152 gold items, mostly rings with the odd chain and pendant thrown in, total weight around the the 500 gram mark, and quite frankly, I was feeling pretty smug about my exploits.
But then, in the latest Minelab Times I find that my efforts have been humbled by that detectorist extroardinaire, Ray B.
Why, he has found a third of the items I have for triple the weight, aaaamazing!
Let me quote, and I hope i'm not breaching copyright here....

"The photo is just some of the jewellery I've found in the last year. Its amounted to about 50 to 60 gold rings plus lots of other jewellery, total weight is a little over 1.5kgs. In addition to that are heaps and heaps of silver and something like one quarter or a third of a ton in lead sinkers."

I hope that one day, I too might become proficient enough to find pieces that average 30 grams, {thats nearly an ounce}.

Cheers.

Lou.

Upvote 0

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Wow, 1/3 of a ton in lead sinkers, hummmm lets see that's over 650 pounds of lead. Amazing, it makes me wonder how many hours and how many days a week he detects.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to wonder how that few rings add's up to 1.5kg?????
That just doesnt sound right, but I am new to this so who am I to say.... But 30 gm average? Wherever he is, they must wear some God-awful chunky jewelry!

OP
OP
L

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
Right on, SS.

It doesnt sound right.

Seems that someones trying to boost detector sales with outrageous claims.

Lou.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread