Deerfield Beach and Surrounding Area

SFLOcenEng

Apr 19, 2008
Rio Seco
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
I have been hunting Deerfield Beach and Surrounding Area for a few seasons now and this year seems to be the worst yet. It's not just me but the two guys I hunt with most seem to be have less luck than years past. Is anyone else in the South Florida area having a ruff time at it? Maybe it's time to change up the pattern? Have been mostly hunting wet sand and a little in the water when conditions allow. Seem that the erosion has been less than great. Again anyone else having a slow month / year?

Thanks in advance for any input and hope all are doing better than I. Also anybody hunt the Panama City area? Beach or Land

Happy Hunting!

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hearing the same thing from some other hunters, seems it is sanded in bad in south Florida, as well as on the west coast of Florida. There are some finds, but they are fewer.

It was sanded in so bad at Daytona Beach, that I could walk a half mile without ever hearing a "null" on either my Excal or my Sovereign GT, that was telling me it was sanded in bad. Last few weeks the nulls have returned, but the finds are still slim.................

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
In my opinion, there are several reasons why the finds are not as plentiful as before.

The snowbirds were not in the water this winter because the water and the air was colder than normal.....in some cities of Florida it was the coldest winter on record.
I was in Florida from January to April and I can say that the beaches were pretty much empty. In the past, during those months the beaches were packed full of people. This year I was in Daytona during bike week and there a lot less people there than usual. Spring break was not as busy this year. The water temperatures were in the high 50's to low 60's when it should have been in the high 60's low 70's. Quite a few days this last winter the air temps were in the high 50's to low 60's. Not a good thing for people to want to go into the water.

The price of gold has people selling their bling to these companies that advertise "We Buy Gold". Since the price of gold has gone over $1000 an ounce, people are cashing in and selling rings and bling so there is less gold and bling to be found.

Re sanding of the beaches has cut into the finds. Let's face it. Putting a couple of feet of sand over a ring makes it pretty tough to find it.

The economy. People are just not spending as much as they have in the past. A vacation is not a top priority when you are worried about your job.

There are finds out there. It is just that you have to work harder for them.

Now that I'm back in Ohio for the summer, its back to the hardest water detecting...freshwater detecting. I have to deal with muck, mud and rocks instead of sand. I have to deal with aluminum pull tabs by the bucket full because they do not dissolve as they do in salt water. And seeing how the beaches are smaller and less plentiful, there is a lot of competition so you have to get there before anyone else or you will just be wasting your time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the last four years I have been on the beach at Daytona durring the winter months often, there are a few, but rarely a lot of people there till Spring Break hits... Bike week brings a lot of people in, but very few of them go to the beach, they go to the bars....

Water was certainly cold for Spring Break, it was in the low 50's, and it was c-o-l-d.... But the biggest problem is the sand.....When I can walk a mile down Daytona Beach and not get any nulls with my Minelabs, it is sanded in BAD......

PettyOfficer

Greenie
May 3, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Monday on New Smyrna Beach Hangingfor8 and I were grumbling about all the sand. We couldn't remember the last time the sand was piled up so high on the seawall. I think we are the only anarchist wanting erosion, but I'm ready! Especially after seeing all guys pay for their detectors! ALL we were finding were new drops. :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions