excal coil and waterproof connectors advice needed!!!!

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just bought a excal 800 and that coil just aint gonna work!!(too small) if any one has a larger coil that they could get rid of cheap i will buy it!!! it could be a stock 10 inch or other aftermarket coil.
am i right in saying anything made for the sovergn or excal coil could be used?
i also would like to know if any of you use any of the waterproof connectors (instead of hardwiring a new coil into the control box) that are available and if they work well??
thanks, from a new excal guy!!!!!!!!!
chuck.

Upvote 0

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Let me know if you sell the little 8, always looking for a backup...you may want to go with the stock or a slimline 10 inch or a sunray 12 inch, sunray sells the connectors, PM...... MTPockets, he can do them in his sleep, he's done so many, check his past post, he had pic's and wiring diagram posted..Good Choice on the Excal..Joe

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks joe!!! :icon_thumright:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
thanks joe!!! :icon_thumright:

Any coil that works on the Sovereign will work on the Excal. I have 2 Excals, one has a Coiltek WOT coil, the other has the SunRay S-12. WOT has water proof connector, the other is hard spliced on.....Personally I recommend the hard splice, there is no chance of it leaking, there is always the chance of a connector leaking.

Good luck.....

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks treasure hunter! i think i am leaning toward a 10 or 12 inch coil!!
anyone have experience with “Detech EXcelerator" search coils ??

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:

In my personal opinion, no where near as good as the new SEF butterfly coils they produce now.. I would go with the new SEF coils over the old EXcelerator coils.

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks!

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Treasure_Hunter said:
seeker41 said:

In my personal opinion, no where near as good as the new SEF butterfly coils they produce now.. I would go with the new SEF coils over the old EXcelerator coils.
Ya, and $700.00 isn't a bad price either.........

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 735
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 618

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Pockets said:
I would go with either...

WOT... Sunray 12... SEF....

I'm debating myself wether to go with the Sunray or the SEF..when My machine Comes back from Minelab..
I have the Sunray 12.. I may buy the SEF 12 x 15.. just Hotswap between the 2 who knows.

I've been hearing some pretty good things about the SEF...
The SEF sucks in Florida waters :tongue3: Really around all the oil on the west cost, ::)

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Not that hard to change coils ...

If you are good at soldering and handy with tools you can change the coil yourself.
It will void the warranty and there are several different color of wires used in the coil cables since the Excalibur was first introduced.

Any coil made for the Sovereign will work on the Excalibur without any retuning needed.

Doc's place has some affordable waterproof connectors but hard wiring or hard splicing would be the best way.

Let me know if you need any help as I have done this several times and have a file folder of information about the wiring.

Willee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions