Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello everyone,

Hello Captain Z,

Hey let me know, I am already here, got here yearerday at 1:00pm we went to the Mel Fisher museum and by 3:00pm we where in Amberbeach we left there at 7:00pm My MD learned how to talk yesterday and his first words "ANOTHER CAN" this beach has the most cans of all. Today we will go to the north part of the FT. Pierce Inlet or to Rio Mar.

Cappy let me know if you are coming and we will do Wabasso on Sunday.

I will keep you posted,

Chagy.............

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello BigC. Cappy Z, WD1715 and eveyone else,

2nd day on Treasure Coast, today we went to Riomar, it was flat as a pancake, new sand in the dunes and no cut, I got only 2 hits, 2 quarters.
Then we went to Corrigans wreck between Seagrape and Turtle Trail, Also new sand in the dunes but a big cut, I found only nails from all the construction.
Tomorrow we might go to Wabasso or the north side of the Ft. Pierce Inlet there are 3 wreck with in half a mile Urca de Lima, Stella and Indian War Gold.

The hunt goes on!!!!!

Chagy............

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello everyone,

3rd day in the hunt. Today we went to the old Ft. Pierce Inlet "Urca de Lima" and "Indian war Gold" wreck. Nice beach to hunt, nice cut and the surf brings lots of stuff to shore. No hits but the hunt was fun. Then we went to Wabasso and the day paid off. As soon as I steeped on the sand I got at hit and I found another of those pieces that look like silver nugget but they are very light weight, I think they are lead. then I foun 2 more pieces and a quarter, my wife had already found a dime and a few pieces of metal with to much rust to identify.

Then I decided to check the shore line when a got this nice hit, the incoming water sometimes is a problem, I had to scoop 3 times but I had it.
I found my fisrt silver piece. Is a charm or a medal it is about 1 inch by 1/2 inch it looks like something religious, it has engraved a right feet with wings (you can clearly see the toes) I used a magnifying, on the back it has the word sterling engraved and under it has some letters that you almost cant read, maybe "HNY" or "HRY" the H you can see cleary but the rest is hard to tell.

I am still here in Treasure Coast and I have one more day to go, so I wont be able to post some pics until I get home.

Best,

Chagy.....................

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Cappy,

I cant tell its a close shot, the beach looks the same as the dunes. I would have to see more to tell but I will say NO. When I say "new sand' you can see the difference between the beach and the dune and there is new landscaping in the dunes.

Best,

Chagy...........

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chagy, That's cool. Just being on those beaches, knowing that you can find a fortune at any time is a thrill. Can't wait to see the pics. Save everything til you get home. 8)
BCH

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Chagy... That melted metal may be a titanium alloy from past rocket explosions off the cape. Got a picture?
...Aquanut

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello everyone,

4th day in the hunt. Today was our last day so we got to Wabasso at 9:00 am it was great the surf had brought out lots of stuff shells, rocks, etc. all the way to the dune line. I found 2 more of those nuggets ( alloy sounds about right) but not sure. I was working the dune line and mi wife was working the shore line. When saw my wife jumping and screaming " I found gold" then she hands me a gold coin about the size of a quarter, when i looked at it, it had the face of Timone form Lion king!!!!!! it was Disney money dated 1995 (she found 2)
By 3:00pm we where beat up, sunburned and hungry. So we got ready to go home. Then my wife says; I wish we where staying in the Disney Resort to jump in the pool and to have a cold margarita. So I made her wish come true and we stayed for the night.
So now we have one more day to hunt.

Does anyone know what is the symbol of the charm or medal ( a right foot with wings)
When did they started marking silver with the word sterling?????

Best,

Chagy............

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Whites Beach Hunter TDI
Wreckdiver or anyone else really familar with the 1715 Coast. I am planning on leaving my isolation at 8600 feet and hit the beach this summer for some detecting. Spend most of my time MD'ing in Ghost towns and older mining towns. The beach will be a welcome relief after the snows. I plan on flying in a couple of days before an impending storm, so it will be short notice. What hotels/motels are most convenient to the 1715 beach areas? Not looking for 5 star hotels, unless there are no other decent ones. What hotels are recommended? Thanks!

Curt from Pine, CO

dandan

Feb 24, 2006
As a former vero resident I would say the Vero Beach Inn. Its on of the last of the great 2 1/2 star hotels around. Nice pool bar, right on the beach, A1A North end of Vero. Dan

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Vero Beach Inn, Sandhurst hotel in Ft. Pierce and Key west inn in Sebastian

Good luck and happy hunting,

Chagy.........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello everyone,

5th and last day of our trip. we worked Wabasso one more time, this time to the south, NADA, nothing, only 35 cents.
We are home already and safe.

I have pictures of the stuff we found, but I am having a hard time to post them, maybe i could e-mail them to someone and you could post them for me, I know Big C. wanted to see them.

Best,

Chagy..........

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Hey Chagy, I am glad you both had a good time. Having your wife with you and interested is very cool. I am no expert on corroded pieces of eight, but I would be glad to see pics. I am also no expert on posting. I am lucky enough to have an old fashioned digital camera with the floppy disc. Try using the test forum. You can experiment there before posting here. If you want you can e-mail the pics to me also. I would love to see.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey BigC.,

They are in your Mailbox, enjoy!!!! If you can please post them for me.

Yes its very cool to THnt with the wife, she is one of us pirates Arrrr!!!
We did have lots of fun. Well the equipment is in the closet and now back to reality work in the day and reseach at night.
You work hard so that you can play hard!!!!!!

Best,

Chagy.........

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the hotel input! I hate to sound like I am wishing for a storm to come in, but I am really looking forward to coming out there and hanging out on the coast for a week or so. Maybe two weeks. I could really use some time off. Curt

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Camcolo, I would like to make a recommendation to you concerning hunting the Florida beaches during a hurricane. First off, if you or anyone reading this is intent on coming to Florida to hunt in the aftermath of a hurricane, I would suggest that you search for hotels up and down the coast from say Cape Canaveral to West Palm Beach. The reasoning is simple, you will need to search for hotels on the Barrier Island, and there just are not really as many as you would think. Additionally, you will need a couple of backups for when the storm comes onshore. Remember that if an evacuation order is made by the EOC (emergency operations center), at the location you have chosen to stay at, the hotel may very well require that you find another place to stay outside the evacuation zone. Not to mention the hundreds of thousands of other folks who will be running for there lives.
Once on the Barrier Island, be prepared to stay. Once you cross the causeways to the mainland you may very well meet with a roadblock preventing you from returning. Think food, water and fuel, these are three things that are always in very short supply in the wake of a hurricane. Power lines will be down all over the place, and we are normally without electricity for about a week. That means no traffic lights, no street lights, no A/C, no food stores, and no gas stations or any other modern convenience you may be used to. You will however, find plenty of local law enforcement keeping order and our homes and property safe from outsiders who always descend into disaster zones to exploit the situation for there own personal gain.
Imagine the survival situation that the survivors of the 1715 fleet disaster faced immediately following the hurricane, and if you have not read the accounts yet, I would highly recommend that you do.
While I did not have to evacuate the Barrier Island at all last season, the year before I had to evacuate my beachside home three times, and we normally evacuate to Orlando. We take the threat of hurricanes very seriously in these parts, and if the EOC issues an evacuation order we are out of town as fast as possible, and normally at the hotel bar having a drink before the few evacuation routes become way too clogged. The normal drive to Orlando from my house is about one hour, some of our beachside friends and neighbors were stuck in traffic as much as six hours and the departed the Barrier Island just a couple hours after us.
I am not trying to dissuade you or anyone from making this journey and hunting for treasure after a hurricane. But I have to say that many locals may be in a survival situation, and nothing is more disturbing to us than having hordes of sightseers descend into the neighborhood just to take a look see.

Q

camcolo

Mar 17, 2005
Fort Collins, CO
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the great advice. I think a lot of people think they can weather a large hurricane. I was hoping to be there after something less than a direct hit with a hurricane. I have little desire to be on a barrier island weathering a hurricane. If a category 3 or higher was headed directly for the coast, I would not even plan to be there (unless I was asked to assist). In the work I do, our Agency has been in New Orleans and along the Gulf Coast for emergency response after Katrina and the subsequent cleanup activities (pollution).

I was more hoping to get there after an off-shore storm or a strong front. Something that produces significant waves and beach effects.

Afterall, it is not like when I was younger and used to chase tornados in Oklahoma! I have less speed and more sense these days.

I look forward to seeing the coast!

Curt

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
And you are welcome here. Indian River/Vero Beach is a pretty area with nice people. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Btw When a hurricane comes, I board up and hunker down. This is my home and I would rather be here than stuck on the road somewhere. But I do not live on an island.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi Camcolo,

Wreckdiver1715 forgot to mention the floods, on some parts A1A is as close as 300 to 500 ft to the shoreline. So you might be stock were ever you are with no one to help. I just got back yesterday from Treasure coast and you can still see the damage on some houses from the last hurricane. after living in Florida for 13 years and 25 in Puerto Rico I have seen all kinds of hurricanes from cat. 1 to 5 and believe me you don't want to be near the shore with a cat. 3 It is no worth to risk your live for a few Spanish coins (or is it) just joking!!!!! Be safe my man!!!. It is better to wait until the roadblocks are open and then go into shore, we have about 20 miles of Treasure Coast or more, so everyone will have a chance to find something.

Good luck and happy hunting,

Chagy..........

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I got the problem fixed, ENJOY!!!!!!!

Chagy.............

Attachments

• 128 forum.jpg
    128 forum.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 762
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 771
  • 128 forum.jpg
    128 forum.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 770
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 761

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
More pics, here you can see the nuggets and the nail.

Chagy......

Attachments

• nuggets.jpg
    nuggets.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 757
  • nail.jpg
    nail.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 743

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread