wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wind is howling outa the North, and the temp is dropping fast. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I want to make sure I'm ready for the hurricane season. The biggest problem, the way I see it, is going to be getting through the police roadblocks to be first on the beach. It might not be safe to sleep through the storm in a car, depending upon the category of the storm. Any thoughts?

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
hey wreckdiver...how you been? I'm watching the winds and waiting for them to blow from NNE.
If we get a day or two of that then maybe we'll move some sand. Sure hope so.

Anybody put a eyeball on the beaches today?

Hey BigCypress...roadblocks are a problem for sure. I'm the risk taker type so I'm all for sleeping in the car. Maybe we'll have a Nor'easter blowing tonight and tomorrow and we can move some sand without the damage of a cane. Let's hope so!

Cobra

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
If you didn't know anyone, where could you park without being asked to move?

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Hey Cap Z;

I love it when you talk the big talk. I have no idea what that word means. I'm a simple guy who got his degree from Heartbreak Ridge(so the saying goes). Here's what I do know. And I've discussed this with you before.

1. In all the older reference materials the dunes behind the museum are referred to as "bluffs".
In my way of thinking a dune would be lower to beach level, and a bluff higher.
So...given that Charles Higgs recorded in 1940-42 the "bluffs" as 10 to 12 feet above the beach,
the beach sand is much higher now than even in 1940-42. Not to mention in 1715!

2. Those beaches were "renourished" some years ago(maybe 4?) due to erosion from wave action caused by the inlet.

3. If you could get down to bedrock(reef limestone) you would most likly find some real goodies!

4. Thats why I'm always looking for a good Nor'easter to move the sand.

I do like the idea of a shovel however!!! In other words.........I DIG what you are saying!

Cobra

suwannee pirate

Feb 12, 2006
Lake City FL
Detector(s) used
excalibur,garrett,micropulse
There is no doubt that nothing is going to penetrate the carst or limestone .I took post hole diggers to clearwater beach in 82 down to 4 foot and still didn't hit bottom .Thats a Gulf coast beach though and dosn't have the gulfstream right up against it like the east coast if that makes a difference. Gotta be paved with gold down there ! Good Luck Bob

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Road blocks are not an issue if you are on the barrier island before the storm arrives. Thats one of the reasons why I bought my house on the island. Yes! its good to be first on the beach after a hurricane, and I won't be sleeping in my car.

Q

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Hey WD 1715;

Come hurricane season maybe you got a spare room to rent?

HH,

Cobra

BTW: I went down to Bonsteel today. There is a big earth mover brinning in more sand to sure up some of the occupied beachfront properties near there! Oh no...more sand!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
wreckdiver, I always figured if I get on the barrier islands, that i could move north or south. Not true. The police are learning. After Wilma, I worked Wabasso then headed south to Ft. Pierce where they were harder hit. There was a roadblock. I had to turn around, unless i lived there. I was thinking a hotel, but they will probably force evacuation. Maybe I can team up with somebody and stay in a vehicle.

Cappy, You are right where the goodies are. A strong hurricane will strip the entire beach sand down to the good stuff. The first high tide will start to rebury. Within a few days the beach will have deposited a foot of sand BACK ON the beach. The key is to get there early (which I didn't do last time.) Your idea might have some potential if you could put a sensor on the tip of a long thin probe. It would still be a lot of work plus the digging. But I like your enthuseism!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is still plenty of treasure out there. Unfortunately, all the beach reclamation projects the last couple of seasons have made it less likely to find anything on the beaches other than for the modern day losses. That is until the next wave of hurricanes hit the Florida coast. This will represent the best opportunity to make any new significant finds relating to the 1715 fleet. You will have to get out there while the wind is still howling in order to be successful, and this is also the most dangerous time to be on the beach, so think safety and survival. There were a couple of significant finds on the beaches immediately following the hurricanes the last couple of seasons. Take the locations of these finds with a grain of sea salt, think about it? If I make a big find, I will most likely keep it to myself. However, some folks like to see themselves in the paper or on the news. That being said, would you tell the media the location of your find?
As for where you can see 1715 items on display. The Mel Fisher Museum in Sebastian on US1 is your best bet, as most of the stuff at the McLarty museum is all replicas. The State has their 20% all locked up in the old jail house in Tallahassee. The only thing from my collection that is on public display is the piece of eight that the wife had mounted on a necklace for me.
While the beaches and dunes may still hold plenty of treasure from the 1715 fleet, the overwhelming majority of it is buried on the bottom beneath the waves. Some in shallow water and some in much deeper water.

Q

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I believe he sunk off Chuck's Steakhouse. I think he was more like a theif trying to run off with the King's treasure.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I heard the same story and that it might be part of the 1618 (Green Cabin) Fleet. 8)

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi, guys

Has anyone in this forum found any Spanish coins in Treasure Coast??? If so, were???? or on which beach????

Best of the Season,

Chagy.............

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
All of the treasure coast beaches have potential of yielding spanish cobs at any given time.....however......there is SO MUCH sand now on most of the treasure beaches I would not expect a find right out of the box. Not saying it can't happen just not likely. With the 1715 fleet it is more the adventure and just being there than the finding. I think Mel Fisher said it was the hunt and not the find that excited him. With the 1715 fleet just standing on those same beaches is a thrill.

Good luck in your hunts. Pick any 1715 beach and when the machine beeps you dig!

Cobra

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Right on!!!!! Cobra,

I believe that some of the treasure has been covered with new construction, if you look at a map from the 1700s you will see what I am talking about. Pretty sure you already have. Strong winds are our best chance and other places in the area (not the beach).

Best of the Season,

Luis..........

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Rumor is the homes in that area are sitting on gold! They probably are. I am sure some artifacts were uncovered during construction.
Since it is illegal to dive without proper lease permit, I think our next best chance is on the beach, where the digging is legal and easy. At this time however the coins are out of reach; too deep. The beaches are constantly changing, and I feel there is a chance of something washing up when the winds are strong. Go at the lowest tide and use a detector not affected by salt water.

Chagy, I found two Spanish silver cobs back in the 80's just south of Wabasso Beach. I believe it was one day after hurricane David.
I didn't go again until 3 days after hurricane Jeanne. I found silver and some interesting items, but only two spike pieces, old timbers, and unidentifiable rusted iron from the 1715 fleet. My "waterproof" coil got wet inside and shortened my plans. I went again the morning after Wilma and found some lead sheathing and more timbers. That's about it. There is no telling what I might have found if I could have arrived there earlier or if I had a deeper MD or if my electronics didn't get wet. A lot of "ifs." :D But I now have talked to the locals and have all the locations in my mind and on my GPS, and hopefully the next storm I will be ready.
The next storm would be your best bet. Get there early, bring extra food, water and gas, and work hard, and good luck. Many people I met have found gold and silver on those beaches!

OP
OP
C

cobra

Nov 8, 2004
Big Cypress, Cap Z, 1715 Wreckdiver....all are correct. Most booty is still in the water forever buried in those small cracks and crevices in the reef rock. At the cabin wreck site that reef rock extends under the beach sand closer to the museum.
Best estimates are that dunes are apprx. 75 to 100 feet back from where they were in 1715. Also dunes are lower-meaning more sand on beach. This would seem to indicate that the beaches we hunt on today were actually back behind the dune line of 1715. Yes there are houses built on much treasure. Take the southern 1715 survivors/salvors/ and later british army
camp, known today as Winter Beach site. It is about 2.5 miles south of Wabasso Beach intersection. Douglas Armstrong was able to do some great archeological digs there before house construction started. This is also the site where camp fires at night gave pirate Henry Jennings a way to coordinate a attack on both the south and north (McLarty) site.
We need sand to move guys!

Cobra

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
BTW I just remembered that one of the cobs I found on that beach in the early 80's was in Western & Eastern Treasures magazine. I had sent them a rubbing and they printed it. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions