5 Questions; Dont View if Easily Annoyed

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
5 Questions; Don't View if Easily Annoyed

1) Roughly how deep is the 'standard' beach? For example, Clearwater Beach: at the shoreline, could one dig 30 feet down?, 50 feet down?, 3 feet down? I think it would be a neat experiment to section off a 4' X 4' section of the wet sand and go down 5-6 feet and metal detect. The reason I say this is because it seems that a primary limiting factor to us finding more stuff at the beach is that it's simply too deep for our detectors to reach. So, if it were theoretically possible to skim off the top 4-6 feet of sand, could more be found? (A young lady posted this same sort of post about 2 months ago about bringing a shovel to the beach.).

2) It seeemed like I was getting the most targets (coins, etc.) at almost low tide in the wet sand just a few inches inland of where the surf broke on the sand. Is this area of what I call 'shore disturbance' generally considered to be a good area to hunt? But on another night in the same area I wasn't getting nearly the same results, perhaps because there was a wind coming off the land toward the water, thereby minimizing the crashing of waves on the sand.

3) Can someone perhaps post a picture of how to mount a magnet in your water scoop. Also, I guess the point of a magnet is to try to run the sand you've scooped up over the magnet to have the iron worthless object stick to the magnet, thereby saving time?

4) I've recently read about gold being found in 3 different locations: waist deep water, in the wet sand, and also toward the dry part of the wet/dry sand. So, is this evidence that gold is usually found very close to where it is dropped due to its weight, or I guess it depends on the strength of the current, etc.?

5) I had several wet sand targets 'escape.' In other words, I think they slipped through the holes of my scoop. So, I guess I need to perhaps getting a scoop with smaller holes, or consider using a second strainer or whatever they are called? Along these lines, how does one avoid the problem of earrings or small bracelets slipping through the holes of your scoop and then getting swept away by the water?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 5 Questions; Don't View if Easily Annoyed

A lot of these answers are found in The Golden Olde site.

Sand build up is different on all beaches. Digging a hole like archeologist's do to see what they can find is more work than it is worth as detecting should be fun, not just to find goodies. Many years ago I played with suction dredges on the beaches. I moved cubic yards of sand and did manage to locate some finds, but time wise it was a waste of time and not as full filling as swing a detector. Plus it damages the beach till waves fill in the trenches you dug.

Jewelry is mainly found in the water because this is where fingers are slippery with lotion, water and finger shrinkage and don't forget activity. People throwing Frisbee's are more likely to lose rings that someone walking in the water. The only hard and fast rule is jewelry is lost anywhere and can move around in the sand by waves and current as each beach is different.

As for question #5 about the holes in the scoop. I use a Sunspot scoop which has many holes and 3 magnets to catch hairpins. The magnets don't catch the earring studs or small items and once you have to scoop them after they fall through, you have two choices. Either see if you can see it laying on the bottom (almost impossible in the surf) or scooping it again more shallow to see if it you were lucky enough to keep it in the scoop. OR you can just move on to a more larger target that will not fall through the holes. Time wasted playing in the sand is time not spent sweeping. However the use of a Excal or Sov GT won't have you digging hairpins. :thumbsup:

But at night when your home with a beer you wonder what if I kept looking for that small stud with the huge rock...............

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1. So now you are back to hunting a 4 foot square area again, ::) What's next, hunting waist deep water in the shark cage like you suggested before.........

Dig a hole 4 foot square and 30-50 deep are you serious? You do realize wet sand collapses easily....It is next to impossible to dig a 2 foot hole in wet sand without it collapsing............

Depth of sand of every beach is different; depth locations on the same beach are different.

Do you actually think local authorities are going to allow you to excavate the beach.....?

2. Generally strong winds coming off the land (off shore winds) is a good thing during low tides because it pushes the water out farther making low tide even lower.... Strong on shore winds is good during storms especially from the North East because they generally pull sand off the beach....

As Sandman told you, more gold is found in the water due to the water making fingers shrink, combined with sun screen lotion, and horse play...

3. Picture of how to mount a magnet to your scoop? Okay, picture in your mind gluing the magnet to the inside bottom of your scoop with waterproof marine glue.

4. Gold is not found in 3 zones, but many different zones. People congregate in different locations at the beach as well as in the water beginning at the shore line. My first diamond ring was found inside a sand castle in wet sand 8-10 feet from the water line, my last diamond ring was found at the water line, and several in the water ankle to chest deep as well as plain gold rings….One diamond ring was found a couple feet from the wooden stairs at the seawall leading to the restroom and showers.

Where gold lands when dropped depends on many factors and one of the largest is the water’s current . I had a lady ask me to look for her 13 year old son’s silver ring he had lost in front of their hotel. I eventually found it several hours later, over a hundred yards from where he lost it……….

I had another couple ask me to look for a ring, her husband had lost his wedding band, he stood where he lost it while she walked over and talked to me about it as I was in the water up the beach hunting and they had seen me. I went back and searched a spiral search pattern beginning where husband stood circling around him in a wider and wider path.

I search at least a hundred feet in all directions using my Excal and a WOT coil, waves were about 1.5 foot high…Never found the ring……If they had been near where the husband stood when it was lost I would have found it……………..

5. The targets you lost were most likely tiny pieces of iron; you were using a PI, it will report on a tiny piece of iron half the size of a BB… You can mount aluminum mesh screen like is used to cover the gutters on your house to keep out leaves and twigs, glue it to the outside bottom 1/4 to 1/3 bottom corner of the scoop which is the final drain point….

Most of this information can be read and found on the Goldenolde…………….If you would just take the time to read it…

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Overkill Overkill Overkill... A befitting name. Anyways, there are always going to be questions that just cannot be answered, I.E. How deep is a common beach. Some of us have been water hunting for over 20 years. And the only way your going to learn is by doing it and doing it often. Your mistaken about the depth of a target, sometimes being out of range of a detector. As the sand moves, it covers and uncovers targets. One day the sand will be waist deep, the next up to your neck as waves will move sand around. Stop overthinking things, go and enjoy your new found hobby and have fun with it.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away

I'll keep it simple.

1.) Good Luck.
2.) Good Luck.
3.) Good Luck.
4.) Good Luck.
5.) Good Luck.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

#3 U buy a magnet shaped like a doughnut U BOLT IT TO BACK OF YOUR SCOOP
#1,2,4 & 5 been doing this almost fifty years -still don't know & really don't care :hello2: :hello2:

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Stupid question here. What is the Goldenolde and is there a link to it. I searched it and came up with nothing. Thanks. HH -Joe

btw skunked at nantasket in hull mass today. 54 cents and crap. Woot.

Anyone got a pic and a better description of what a "cut" is?

Treasure_Hunter said:
1. So now you are back to hunting a 4 foot square area again, ::) What's next, hunting waist deep water in the shark cage like you suggested before.........

Dig a hole 4 foot square and 30-50 deep are you serious? You do realize wet sand collapses easily....It is next to impossible to dig a 2 foot hole in wet sand without it collapsing............

Depth of sand of every beach is different; depth locations on the same beach are different.

Do you actually think local authorities are going to allow you to excavate the beach.....?

2. Generally strong winds coming off the land (off shore winds) is a good thing during low tides because it pushes the water out farther making low tide even lower.... Strong on shore winds is good during storms especially from the North East because they generally pull sand off the beach....

As Sandman told you, more gold is found in the water due to the water making fingers shrink, combined with sun screen lotion, and horse play...

3. Picture of how to mount a magnet to your scoop? Okay, picture in your mind gluing the magnet to the inside bottom of your scoop with waterproof marine glue.

4. Gold is not found in 3 zones, but many different zones. People congregate in different locations at the beach as well as in the water beginning at the shore line. My first diamond ring was found inside a sand castle in wet sand 8-10 feet from the water line, my last diamond ring was found at the water line, and several in the water ankle to chest deep as well as plain gold rings….One diamond ring was found a couple feet from the wooden stairs at the seawall leading to the restroom and showers.

Where gold lands when dropped depends on many factors and one of the largest is the water’s current . I had a lady ask me to look for her 13 year old son’s silver ring he had lost in front of their hotel. I eventually found it several hours later, over a hundred yards from where he lost it……….

I had another couple ask me to look for a ring, her husband had lost his wedding band, he stood where he lost it while she walked over and talked to me about it as I was in the water up the beach hunting and they had seen me. I went back and searched a spiral search pattern beginning where husband stood circling around him in a wider and wider path.

I search at least a hundred feet in all directions using my Excal and a WOT coil, waves were about 1.5 foot high…Never found the ring……If they had been near where the husband stood when it was lost I would have found it……………..

5. The targets you lost were most likely tiny pieces of iron; you were using a PI, it will report on a tiny piece of iron half the size of a BB… You can mount aluminum mesh screen like is used to cover the gutters on your house to keep out leaves and twigs, glue it to the outside bottom 1/4 to 1/3 bottom corner of the scoop which is the final drain point….

Most of this information can be read and found on the Goldenolde…………….If you would just take the time to read it…

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

joeb1999 said:
Stupid question here. What is the Goldenolde and is there a link to it. I searched it and came up with nothing. Thanks. HH -Joe

Treasure_Hunter said:

Here is the link for the Goldenolde.....http://www.nmhra.netfirms.com/pulltab/

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Snicker!!! ;D ::) :laughing9:

B

Big1011Guy

joeb1999 said:

Treasure_Hunter said:

Galveston After a somewhat severe rain storm cut pictures.

Attachments

• Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 002.jpg
    Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 002.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 741
  • Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 003.jpg
    Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 003.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 747
  • Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 002.jpg
    Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 002.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 741
  • Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 003.jpg
    Galveston Cuts In Sand 5-15-10 003.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 737

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field and Minelab Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

In my opinion, you might want to take up another hobby. Or just get out there and do it. You have to learn from your mistakes, no way around it.

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow,

OverK,
Are you sure you want to metal detect? :dontknow:
What were your results in Florida?

CB

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007

OKOK, LOL,You gave a disclaimer in the header and some
just couldn't resist,even if they get annoyed.Your questions
are lagit,and many have thought the same thing.Any true
THer has to wonder whats down there, and where does the
gold go to die (like old elephants).Each person persues their
quest differently;many using time tested methods.Some hunt
the same places,and some go out in deeper water.Have wondered
what's out there just past where everyone hunts,just over their
heads.Have known some who hunted those deeper spots.
Hunt as often as you can,experiment,observe,keep the rules of
the hobby,and mostly have fun.Good luck and HH Joe

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

O/K, Start off by digging a 2 foot deep hole, 2 foot wide and 4 foot long in the wet sand first and watch what happens, it might save your life....

We all know there is gold deep under the beach sand and shallow water, but there is really little way financially, legally and safely to get to it with out mother natures help......If you own a private beach you can dig as deep as you want, on a public beach, all you will do is make officals consider banning detecting if you try to dig a 5-6 foot deep hole...... Right or wrong people already complain about our digging on the beaches and we are digging tiny holes......

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505

Is it me? or is Crackbadger getting better looking?

All that walking and swinging in the sand is doing wonders for your form!

In your videos, you kind of look like a hairy dude.

Keep it up!

mommagpx

Feb 5, 2009

Most people are not easily annoyed, as you stated in your topic. Most people get sick of answering the same questions over and over when certain people have been told where to find the answers. Or they may get annoyed when the questions are so insane and don't make any sense and cannot possible be achieved. Or maybe they get annoyed when they think certain people are just playing them. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but everyone on here has always been extremely helpful and kind from what I see and read. Maybe the "annoying" part doesn't pertain to everyone else, but one person. Just saying, if the shoe fits.....

3 qtr

Greenie
Oct 24, 2009
Iowa, Yes Ray, "It is Heaven."
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 7A, Garrett Infinium L/S, Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer

Mount a magnet in the bottom of yur scoop using zip ties, criss-cross each and add an extra at angles, put the ties thru the holes in the scoop. This works great for magnets that are square or rectangular, no hole in the magnet type. Two are usually packaged together, cheap at Walmart, works great at keeping the pesky hair clips, Bobbie pins, and safety pins from drivin ya crazy. :tongue3:

Best of luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread