Best beach detector?

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I am still looking to purchase a detector for the Med. beaches here. Just wet and dry sand, no water yet.

I've been considering the Sovereign and the Xterra 50, but I'm nto sure they are my best choices. Would really like to nail this decision.

I want to get a good start in this hobby and avoid the disapointment making the wrong gear choice would bring.

Any suggestions would be greatly apreciated. Thanks!

Upvote 0
N

NewbMtlDetectr

Hey,

Salt water effects conductivity, and can drive a VLF unit operator crazy. Consider a Pulse Induction unit if you don't mind digging some extra trash. (less ability of PI to discriminate) I haven't researched Pulse units, but do know that Tesoro makes one at around 500 bucks with a lifetime warranty.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
If you are choosing between a Sovereign and a XTerra the Sovereign is the better beach detector.Minelab rate the new VFLEX system used in the Xterra models, below the BBS system used in the Sovereign.Remember a Sovereign is a dearer machine than the Terra models, the Sovereign is designed mainly for beach work and can handle black sand and salt better than most detectors.The other advantage is that you can use the Sovereign in salt water,providing you keep the control box dry,I carry mine in a shoulder pack and can comfortably detecting in water up to 3 ft. deep.
If you are thinking about PI machines, remember on a beach there is a lot of rubbish and most PI machines have no discrimination which means you will be digging every tiny piece ot Junk needlessly. The PI machines do go deeper than other detectors and pick up more deeper targets that also includes more rubbish. The ideal situation for the PI machines are areas where there are few targets and you are searching for the deeper targets which other detectors cant reach.There are a few PI machines eg. Garrett Infinium and Garrett seahunter2 which do have a discrimination set up on them, These set ups do work but not as well as the systems used on the Sovereign. If you want to have a look at some reviews of detectors of different brands go to HTTP://metaldetectorreviews.net or
HTTP://www.djsdetectors.com good luck seeya Neilo ;D

OP
OP
Fatbat

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Thanks for the info you two!

Anyone else with an opinion, I would love to hear from you. 50+ views with not too many people saying anything.

NCHermit

Dec 15, 2005
If you are going to do mostly beach hunting,I'm not sure those two machines would be the best pick.I think I'd look at the Whites PIpro or Whites Beachhunter ID.They both have good reviews and are very popular for beach hunting.If I were to pick a Minelab machine it would be the Excalibur with out a doubt.Or I would go with a Fisher CZ-20,which in my opinion is 1 of the 2 top dogs period.Though I'm a little biased on that opinion because thats what I use.

kool007

Jan 2, 2004
Jax, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Nokta Makro Simplex
Minelab Excalibur w/S12
Re: Best beach detector? or BEST all around beach detector??

I have pondered this a few times. My opinion would be to go with the Sovereign model.

I own an Excalibur, and for the beach, to me, it's the best. Mounted on a straight shaft with the control tube under the arm, it has perfect balance. It's spoting a 10-inch Tornado coil as well. Recently, it has had the GrayGhost headphones installed with the removeable, watertight bulkhead. Not to mention the addition of a water-proof connector, to make using the Sovereign coils a snap and interchangable.

The Sovereign is the same thing as an Excalibur. So they say.

The sovereign's weight might be an issue, but I gotta say that something like the Fisher CZ-20 is just as heavy.

The better difference is that the Coils and headphones for the Sovereign are not hard wired to the unit. They don't have to be because the Sovereign is not a 'water-proof' machine.

The Sovereign can handle the salt water and wet sand better than most other machines, but since the use of BBS circuitry, it can be set to hunt just as deep as teh rest.

Any machine can be used in a playground or a park. Coin-shooting or relic hunting can be performed by any detector. But the Sovereign can do that also, and have a meter placed on the shaft. The versatility of the Sovereign, in my opinion, is the best all-around detector.

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Here, here, I agree with you completely I have been using Sovereign and Excaliburs for over ten years,great machines easily paid for themselves ten times over.
Seeya Neilo ;D

bajan

Greenie
Oct 31, 2004
Barbados
Hi This is very interesting. some for & against the PI machines - because of lack of discrimination. I understand that. But what is BBS?? Please excuse my ignorance.
Bajan

A

Angela (Australia)

Hello Fatbat,
I've been using a Minelab Quattro for everything! It's a really deep beach machine and tolerates salt water really well, no problem at all. It has FBS (full band spectrum), great detection depth and target ID, 28 mulipule frequencies, 4 easily customizable search modes for all types of hunting. Comes with the standard 10.5 inch coil, but I recommend the 7.5 inch coil for trashy ground. Have a look on the Minelab website about it and others like the X Terras, sovereigns, etc.
Cheers Angela :)

OP
OP
Fatbat

Fatbat

Greenie
Jan 20, 2006
Costa del Sol, Spain
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey, my Sovereign just arrived from EuroDetection in Madrid :) DHL dropped it off a couple of hours ago at home. I'm stuck at work but hopefully I'll get some time to play with it over the weekend.

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neilo is 99% ok on his suggestions. I also use Minelabs to great success. I like the Excalibur 1000 and have used the PI's and frankly, they will find more target which most will be junk. Soon you get tired of digging deep holes for trash, but then a nice ring found really deep makes up for it. If your young and strong, go for the PI and get a strong scoop.

On another note that is the extra 1% that was missed is to check Tesoro's Sand Shark (PI) and Tiger Shark (VLF). Both have lifetime warranty and are hip mountable to save weight on the arm. However most land machines will work for your type of hunting if they have a salt mode for the wet sand and most can be hip mounted for wading, but someday, you will get the box wet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread