Beachhunter 300 Question..

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
The detection of sound waves actually works better in water than in air because water transmits pressure waves more efficiently.

:tongue3: mt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
miket said:
The detection of sound waves actually works better in water than in air because water transmits pressure waves more efficiently.

If taking the Beach Hunter ID in the water make sure you have the O ring greased with silicone grease and even that may not stop leaks in one foot of water. Even the new orange O rings leak on the BHID's. Works nice on dry sand however. :coffee2:

Indasurf

Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, White's BHID 300, Fisher CZ20, Fisher CZ 6A, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300, Tesoro Silver Sabre Plus, White's 5900 DI Pro SL, and others!
You can't even get to the orange seals on the BHID or Beach Hunter 300 as the battery box door is the only opening.

If you change the battery at the beach, and you really should NEVER have to due to the long life of the batteries,
then you should make sure to not get ANY sand on the black gasket on the battery door to prevent water issues!

This is just common sense and would be the same with ANY water machine that is opened in the WRONG environment!!!

Those two models are DIFFERENTLY designed than the other White's water machines.

On the PIs and the Duel Field the box is opened to get to the battery and this is where you have access to the orange seals.

I have never heard or read anywhere of the Beach Hunter 300 having a leaking issue!

Same old broken record spinning :icon_scratch:!

pongo

May 6, 2009
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab,Whites
Sandman said:
miket said:

If taking the Beach Hunter ID in the water make sure you have the O ring greased with silicone grease and even that may not stop leaks in one foot of water. Even the new orange O rings leak on the BHID's. Works nice on dry sand however. :coffee2:
:sleepy2:

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Indasurf said:
You can't even get to the orange seals on the BHID or Beach Hunter 300 as the battery box door is the only opening.

If you change the battery at the beach, and you really should NEVER have to due to the long life of the batteries,
then you should make sure to not get ANY sand on the black gasket on the battery door to prevent water issues!

This is just common sense and would be the same with ANY water machine that is opened in the WRONG environment!!!

Those two models are DIFFERENTLY designed than the other White's water machines.

On the PIs and the Duel Field the box is opened to get to the battery and this is where you have access to the orange seals.

I have never heard or read anywhere of the Beach Hunter 300 having a leaking issue!

Same old broken record spinning :icon_scratch:!

Ask Fl Bill if a BH300 leaks...................

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask Fl Bill if a BH300 leaks...................
[/quote]

Here is the story on water machines. They all can mess up sooner or later. (Electronic & water don't mix period) What you have to understand is a lot of us in Florida are far from normal water hunters. And what I mean by that is that we put more time in waist to chest deep water in two weeks than most guys will put on a machine in two years. Pete (Erikk) and I hunt at least three times a week 365 days a year mostly in the water, that's lots of hours. We put these machines through the test. I have always said these companies need to get folks like us and the Treasure Hunter, Mark, Dave, cotton, bac42, Montalk , MT Pockets , FSS, Etc. (list goes on) that are out there everyday putting these machines to the test. Not making a machine and dipping it in a tank for a few minutes.

I tried buying an ex cal ll and the first one arrived . I put the coil in the water and it went crazy , sent back, another one arrived same thing , sent back, my third one arrived and after a week in the water that to died. At this point I had had it with frustration as most can understand . I didn't want to spend my time sending machines back and forth through the mail.

I had owned a beachunter ID and had no problems with it but hated the floating coil. So I decided to give the new beachunter a try. First machine arrived turned it on went crazy had to return it. Another one arrived and it finally appeared to be working fine. After a year of heavy hunting and happy with the machine I noticed water inside the box. Sent back , in less than two weeks I had in my hand a brand new one from White's no questions asked (Now that's customer service). I think I am going on two trouble free years now with lots and lots of gold rings found...

So you know what, its what you like, bottom line they all have problems and its human nature to knock a machine you had trouble with and also praise a machine you have, even though it may not really be as good as you are claiming it to be. They are all great machines and doesn't matter if your coil doesn't pass over it your not going to find it anyway.

As far as the red gasket it has cut down on most of the leaks if not all and I think the weak spot is not the gasket but in fact the toggle switch that controls the all metal mode is leaking. You are NOT suppose to mess with that gasket and it will void the warranty . The box is not designed to be opened up and lubed, it just stays sealed. So leave it the way it is and if you get a leak don't worry whites will be there to stand behind their product.

I could go around knocking Minelab , shoot I couldn't get any to work and they were brand new units. I even had Pete test them out also because at that point I thought I forgot how to run a machine, even though I had run his ex cal. many times, and yes same conclusion machines were messed up. Does that mean I will never try another ex cal. nope it will be my next machine but with a WOT coil .....

Sorry for the long post but maybe this will help someone down the road....

Bottom line Don't Mess with the gasket !!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill is right. I think most of the trouble with the White's leaking is in operator error in not closing it up properly. I had one of the first BHID's and used it a year almost every day with out trouble till one day I got tired of that coil floating and sold it. The guy is still using it.

As for the Excals, I have the Excal 1000, not the Excal II and it hasn't given me a bit of trouble. Oh, I take that back, a coil failed after it was out of warranty and Minelab replaced that free as it was a defect. I think it is going on six years now but I am slowing down and not going out everyday. In fact I am not at the coast anymore but have 480 freshwater lakes in my county alone so I am still quite busy. People tend to be concentrated at the freshwater swim areas so finds are closer together.

We have to remember when someone says they have a problem with a certain detector it could be operator error and not a defect in the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread