Wetsuit hood for cold water md?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will have to listen to the tones through the hood. Don't try to cut a little hole in the hood as this allows that cold water into the ear canal and it is very uncomfortable then. You'd think it would warm up after a while but all you feel is like someone is pushing an icicle into you head. White's used to make a vibraphone that slid into the hood but I don't think they make it anymore.

OP
OP
G

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
Sandman said:
You will have to listen to the tones through the hood. Don't try to cut a little hole in the hood as this allows that cold water into the ear canal and it is very uncomfortable then. You'd think it would warm up after a while but all you feel is like someone is pushing an icicle into you head. White's used to make a vibraphone that slid into the hood but I don't think they make it anymore.

Somehow , I knew you would tell me that.
That is really bad news :(
Thanks for the response though :)

I dont know how I'm going to be able to hear the tones through a hood thick enough to keep me warm.

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009
I snorkel mostly and as such have my head in the water the whole time, up to 8 hours at a time.

I wear a 7mm jacket with hood attached and have cut holes in the hood big enough for my ears to stick out.
Apart from the fact that I look pretty stupid before I get the headphones on I find that this works great.

I mostly wade with my face in the water, with a mask and snorkel obviously, and duck down and either fan the sand away or use a hand scoop.

Its possible to have your face in the water but your ears above and as such you hear the signals clearly.
You can still hear signals with your ears full of water but you'll lose about 50% of the volume.
If you try to hear through 7mm of neoprene as well then you will only hear the loudest of signals.
Also, without your ears sticking out, the headphones have nothing to "hang on to", and will slide off your head every chance they get.

I find cold water getting in your ears whenever you go under is only a minor discomfort and after a few dives is not noticed at all however it might bother some, everyones different.

This method clearly only works in calm water and is impossible in surf.

Hope this helps.

Lou.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the model of detector you are using the volume control is all we have for increasing the signal at the hearing end. But hoods don't cost a fortune, buy one and try the holes to see how it works for you. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
G

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
Lou from downunder said:
I snorkel mostly and as such have my head in the water the whole time, up to 8 hours at a time.

I wear a 7mm jacket with hood attached and have cut holes in the hood big enough for my ears to stick out.
Apart from the fact that I look pretty stupid before I get the headphones on I find that this works great.

I mostly wade with my face in the water, with a mask and snorkel obviously, and duck down and either fan the sand away or use a hand scoop.

Its possible to have your face in the water but your ears above and as such you hear the signals clearly.
You can still hear signals with your ears full of water but you'll lose about 50% of the volume.
If you try to hear through 7mm of neoprene as well then you will only hear the loudest of signals.
Also, without your ears sticking out, the headphones have nothing to "hang on to", and will slide off your head every chance they get.

I find cold water getting in your ears whenever you go under is only a minor discomfort and after a few dives is not noticed at all however it might bother some, everyones different.

This method clearly only works in calm water and is impossible in surf.

Hope this helps.

Lou.

Thanks for the info ! I will try that :)

Thank you as well Sandman, I also appreciate that you are always willing to help !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread