excal 800 advice.

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, i got an excal 800 a couple weeks ago and took it out for a hunt last friday. it will take a few trips out to get used to the tones ??? i am used to a cz20 and the excal tones are foriegn to me, they dont seem to hit as hard as the cz and sound more like my cz in pinpoint mode.
also when using pinpoint on the excal it acts like you cant pinpoint without moving the detector, in other words it does not seem to be a "non motion pinpoint" is this correct??
chuck.

Upvote 0

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres what I do .. first I dont use pinpoint mode, when I get the strongest signal, I slowly start to slightly wiggle the coil backwards towards me.. soon as the target sound stops..the target is in front of the coil.. depends how strong the signal is and usually you can tell if its a shallow target or deep one.. you may have to check the sides of the hole if you dont get your target.. does this make any sense to ya.. cause I stink at trying to put it to words.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
well, i got an excal 800 a couple weeks ago and took it out for a hunt last friday. it will take a few trips out to get used to the tones ??? i am used to a cz20 and the excal tones are foriegn to me, they dont seem to hit as hard as the cz and sound more like my cz in pinpoint mode.
also when using pinpoint on the excal it acts like you cant pinpoint without moving the detector, in other words it does not seem to be a "non motion pinpoint" is this correct??
chuck.

Pinpoint is not a non motion pinpoint, you must be moving the coil for it to work. Like Booty, I never use the pinpoint except to hunt in all metal mode occasionally.

There are several ways to pinpoint the target with out using pinpoint mode. One of the easiest is the one Booty mentions. It works forward or backward, (toe or heel) principle is the same, when moving away from target, the target is at the toe of the coil when it disappears, or you can move the coil towards the target and target is at edge when tone first appears.

You can "X" the target, or you can pass coil over target and identify the strongest point of signal. I am able to locate the target in seconds using any of these methods. I do not take the time to switch to pinpoint ever to locate a target.

I've been using either a waterproofed Sov GT or Excal with a WOT coil hardwired on for couple years, I could never return to a 10 inch coil after using the WOT, I don't know how you can hunt with the 8 inch...

Good luck and good hunting..

OP
OP
seeker41

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for your replys :icon_thumright: bootybay, you explained it very well! treasuredigger, i really hate hunting with the 8 inch but it will have to do until i find a cheap 10 by 12 or 12 by 15 sef. i just bought a new scoop so i will have to make do with the 8 inch coil for a while.
ill get the hang of the tones soon enough!
thanks, chuck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
thanks for your replys :icon_thumright: bootybay, you explained it very well! treasuredigger, i really hate hunting with the 8 inch but it will have to do until i find a cheap 10 by 12 or 12 by 15 sef. i just bought a new scoop so i will have to make do with the 8 inch coil for a while.
ill get the hang of the tones soon enough!
thanks, chuck.

Keep your eyes open and you will find one. I paid $90 for my last WOT coil, I am always looking for a good used WOT or 12" x 15" SEF Butterfly as well.....

Gold comes in many different tones for the Excal, depending on the base metals with it.....Good luck sir.....

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
The only tones on my excal that seem the same every time are bottle caps, except coronas, they sound different.
I have found gold that sound just like a penny. Just dig it all.

Also I use mine in all metal mode, I can turn the sens high and it stays very stable. When I get a hit, I flick it back to hear if it nulls out like iron. I have had several occasions when I can get a signal in all metal, switch it back and get no signal. Every time it was something good and very deep.

I had a 15" wot on mine and it was just not as sensitive in my opinion. I could scoop once and the wot would lose the signal, the ten inch never does that. I am thinking about selling it but I am just not sure.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stitchlips said:
The only tones on my excal that seem the same every time are bottle caps, except coronas, they sound different.
I have found gold that sound just like a penny. Just dig it all.

Also I use mine in all metal mode, I can turn the sens high and it stays very stable. When I get a hit, I flick it back to hear if it nulls out like iron. I have had several occasions when I can get a signal in all metal, switch it back and get no signal. Every time it was something good and very deep.

I had a 15" wot on mine and it was just not as sensitive in my opinion. I could scoop once and the wot would lose the signal, the ten inch never does that. I am thinking about selling it but I am just not sure.

I have hunted in all metal just as you do, and it is deeper, but I do not hunt all the time in all metal.....
If you decide to sell your WOT, please let me know.....I have pulled up targets with my Excal and WOT that are easily over 12 inches deap. If I have a signal, I have never lost it, I have lost the target when it fell through the small holes of my scoop in the water and current took it, most likely tiny brass rivets, but not lose the target signal itself....

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: excal 800 advice. PP WITH 1000 EXCAL

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Chuck, the Excalibur 800 is the easiest one to pinpoint.

You need to practice more in the dry sand until you learn how.
After that you will never need to switch to pinpoint mode again.

Willee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions