Western Caribbean Cruise Finds

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
I recently took a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on Princess Cruise Lines with my wife and metal detector. I had an opportunity to hunt 3 days in 3 different countries of the 4 countries we visited. I could have made it 4 for 4, but one day in port got chewed up doing just shopping so I did not even bring the gear off the ship.

My first port was in the Bahamas where I picked up some clad and two rings, a tungsten carbide band and one 14K gold band. I actually had some friendly competition on this beach. There was another guy there also from my ship with a MD. He said he was from Canada and he picked up two rings both of which were some alloy and not any precious metal. I did not see him out on the rest of the cruise though.
phpQhJCKoPM.jpg

phpt6GVjePM.jpg
My second port was in Jamaica where my sunspot scoop raised lots of questions with the locals. I had cab drivers pulling over to ask me what that was I was carrying. It raised a lot of looks and questions from the port authorities and tourist police, but I just said it was a sand scoop when asked what it was and when asked what it was used for; I said looking for treasure. That always got a lot of smiles and laughs but I was just thinking to myself, yeah buddy you wouldn't laugh so hard if you have seen the gold I pull out of the sand with this thing.

I made my way to a beach right next to the port where I was met by a attendant that said I had to pay $3 to go any further past the volley ball net behind Jimmy Buffets Bar. I said sure, but I only had $2 in small bills and by that time they had started asking me about my gear and it started to draw a lot of attention again. Gave the same story and they were almost as excited for me to MD as myself. They let me slide with the $2 instead of breaking a $20 and I hit the surf. LOTS of trash and Iron on this beach, but they attendants assured me that someone looses a piece of gold there almost daily either a chain, charm or ring. My third target I pulled out a SS men's wedding band and thought this is going to be great, but I did not find any more jewelry and no gold there, just some local clad and lots of trash.

The ship was leaving and I had to go, so I showed the guys what I had found and they showed me some of the gold that they had found by just swimming and fanning the bottom on calm days with clear water. They had maybe 5 gold rings that they had found and certainly did better then me with my MD. Oh well, such is life on to Grand Cayman Island.
php3a7kQTPM.jpg
I did not do any hunting on Grand Cayman although I would have liked to hit 7 mile beach, there just was not the time to make it happen so we set sail at the end of the day for Cozumel Mexico.

We had signed up for a private island excursion in Cozumel that boasted an all inclusive private beach with drinks and food. I did not get to sample any of the food or drinks because I spent all my time in the water again. I think it was my very first target I pulled out a 14K wedding band and thought to myself this is either going to be good or as when ever I hit something good on the first target that is the last good target I get for the day. Well it was the latter. I pulled out maybe $1 in US coins and a couple hoop earrings. The surf and undertow were brutal and it was hard to recover the targets, plus that was some of the finest and hardest packed sand I have ever ran across.
php9ZqKXvPM.jpg
All in all not too bad, I got 4 rings, two of which were 14K about 6-7 grams each.
cruise4.jpg

Upvote 0

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
The most I like is the baseball cap,...pirates for hire!! I buy it if you like :laughing9:

Arch

OP
OP
BareBones

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
architecad said:
The most I like is the baseball cap,...pirates for hire!! I buy it if you like :laughing9:

Arch

That hat has just about been around the world now and so has that metal detector. :thumbsup:

I put up some photos and re-sized the one I did manage to get up.

I used to read a lot of posts about people asking questions about taking metal detectors on cruise ships. I really did not have any problems at all anywhere even with a huge scoop like the Sunspot and the factory wood handle.

Thought I would put this up so people would see what you can do with a little can do attitude and a smile.

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have said,"The heck with the food and drinks" lets go hunt'n! Congrats on the gold! :icon_thumright:

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Nice trip and finds! The beach where the guys found gold by just fanning the bottom by hand in shallow water either sounds like a fish story or if true, means that it is a literal gold mine. Someone with a detector would really clean up if that were the case.

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
Thanks for sharing. Answers lots of questions. Nice loot. Not sure how to keep my wife happy with me in the water but it is worth a shot. Ralph

OP
OP
BareBones

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
petersra said:
Thanks for sharing. Answers lots of questions. Nice loot. Not sure how to keep my wife happy with me in the water but it is worth a shot. Ralph

Glad you found it useful. HH

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Looks like you had a great time. I went to the Bahama's in 1978 on a treasure hunting trip with Stu Aurbach (now founder/owner of Kellyco). If I'm not mistaken, I think J.W. Fisher was with also. It was a great trip. I vowed to go back someday but never did. Thanks for sharing your experience. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
BareBones

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Da Sand Crab said:
Looks like you had a great time. I went to the Bahama's in 1978 on a treasure hunting trip with Stu Aurbach (now founder/owner of Kellyco). If I'm not mistaken, I think J.W. Fisher was with also. It was a great trip. I vowed to go back someday but never did. Thanks for sharing your experience. :icon_thumleft:

Hi Sand Crab, I was in Hawaii last Nov visiting family on Maui and got out several times with Mikey. Picked up a few pieces, but when I was on the #1 producing beach for my local MD guide, I had a heck of a time with the black sand. I had so many false signals it drove me crazy and off to another beach with less black sand. Next time I come back it will be with a different machine.

The surf break on that beach was so rough I broke my lower shaft in the surf when I got knocked down by a big one.

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
BareBones said:
Da Sand Crab said:

Hi Sand Crab, I was in Hawaii last Nov visiting family on Maui and got out several times with Mikey. Picked up a few pieces, but when I was on the #1 producing beach for my local MD guide, I had a heck of a time with the black sand. I had so many false signals it drove me crazy and off to another beach with less black sand. Next time I come back it will be with a different machine.

The surf break on that beach was so rough I broke my lower shaft in the surf when I got knocked down by a big one.

The black sand will drive a P.I. detector crazy. That's when you need an Excal for sure.
The surf is very un-predictable. there's always a rouge wave waiting to get you when you least expect it.

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Great finds! :headbang:

Thank you for the interesting, informative post, BareBones.

Lorraine

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent story and finds Barebones.... :headbang:
thanks for sharing it. HH Gold Nuggets :hello:

Tab Hunter

Sep 24, 2009
Thanks for the post....If you flew in to catch the Cruise ship how did you pack your gear especially the long handle scoop ?......&...did you carry your detector & scoop on/off the ship in a bag ?......I may take mine on the next cruise ......Thanks Again....HH...Tab

Mar 15, 2011
san antonio texas
Detector(s) used
whites dfx-sunray dx-1 probe- d2 coil,,,,,whites beach hunter id 300,,,,,garrett ace 250 for the tag alongs
great finds and what looks to be a great time! i to am interested in how you travel with the wooden handle,

mcmurphi

Feb 5, 2007
Tacoma, WA
Detector(s) used
White's DFX • Fisher CZ-21
Awsome finds there. Your post could have said: "I recently took a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on Princess Cruise Lines with my metal detector and wife."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread