Ear problems from MD

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
I've noticed that I have unusual ear wax build-up after I MD too much.
I think I have been having the volume turned up too much.

Today was the first day I ever went underwater MD. Now I think because I went too deep, the water is inside my ear and the extra wax is preventing the water from comming out. My left ear is totally clogged and can't hear very well in that ear.

Anyone else have this problem?
What should I do about it?

I need to unclog my ear, any suggestions?

I used Q-tips dipped in rubbing alcohol. Got some of the wax out but I'm afraid I also packed the wax thats deep in my ear canal, even worse.
Someone help me please, Im pretty miserable right now.

Upvote 0

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
67408075933_450x450_a.jpg
:D

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
This year I've been having problems with my right ear not clearing and causing dizziness on some days. I've got to check it out. I usually hunt for two to three hours at a time with constant diving and being submerged. My fear is that I'm dizzy enough as it is and this could push me over the edge. :tongue3:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try this. Get some rubbing alcohol and tip your head to the side, put a little rubbing alcohol in your plugged ear and let it sit for a few moments. If it is just trapped water and soft wax this should clear it up. This is an easy and cheap trick and I've had to do it several times. If the ear fails to clear you may need to see a doctor. Good Luck!

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Get some hydrogen peroxide...take an ear dropper and place some of it in your ear. It will bubble and loosen any wax that may be blocking. Then take a spray bulb and spray warm water in the ear washing out the wax.

That is the best and cheapest way to remove wax. Do not stick anything in your ear. You could damage your hearing permanently.

OP
OP
G

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
tried all that, still clogged. Can barely hear out of my left ear. Guess I be going to the doctor

halfstep

May 11, 2010
goldfever said:
tried all that, still clogged. Can barely hear out of my left ear. Guess I be going to the doctor

(I'LL TYPE LOUD WHERE YOU CAN HEAR ME) :icon_scratch:

Try laying on a heating pad with that ear down. See if the heat will lossen up the wax. Hope you get better soon.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just remember that the water in the ear canal may have germs in it that will cause an infection which could lead to a pain that you don't want to experience!!!!!

I went swimming years ago and got water into the canal and an infection it was the worst pain i have ever experienced!!!!!

antibiotic's didn't help, my doctor finally sent me to an ENT speciallist, the found a large wax plug blocking the canal and remove part of it until they saw the tumor (right ear), one week later i had surgery to remove it the infection and tumor destroyed five of the small bone in the ear. due to a great surgeon i have 90% hearing in my ear now. (2ND surgery was for reconstruction of the 5 bones removed) I have now had 2 surgeries on both ears. and lost enough hearing in the left ear i now use hearing aid in that one

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Some people have an excessive amount or unusually soft ear wax, myself included. On years where I am in the water a lot (I used to live at the beach) my earwax would get impacted by the pressure of the water. A doctor would have to remove it with a special tool. None of the home remedies ever worked. Get it checked soon, because river, canal, and bay water can cause some mean infections.

-Fathead

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well......about 7 years ago i got inner ear infections due to sinus problems. symptoms included.....
>feeling/hearing similar to be under water.
>loss of balance.
>slurring of words/speech.
>constant ringing in ear.
>extreme ear pain.
after sinus/nose surgery and tubes in my ears the ear infections and drainage problems are gone but i have about 40% hearing loss >:(
using hearing aids really sucks and i prefer not to wear them. I'm 46 years old and the hearing loss makes me feel much, much older!!!
GET YOUR EAR PROBLEMS FIXED QUICKLY SO YOU HOPEFULLY WONT HAVE PERMANENT DAMAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
G

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for the replies folks :)
I appreciate the concerns.

I'm going to try softening the earwax with olive oil then use a syringe with warm water to hopefully rinse out the impacted wax.

If that doesnt work then im going to the doc.

Just found out I could have just held my mask and blew through my nose to equalize the pressure. I didnt equalize because I didnt know this trick. Thought I had to remove my mask to plug my nose, which would have meant that I wouldnt have enough air to clear my mask since I'm snorkeling, so I went down 15 ft without equalizing the pressure. BIG mistake :(

OP
OP
G

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
Turns out I had "Impacted earwax" lucky I didn't perferate my eardrum.
Took three 6 hr days of boiling the wax out of my ears using hydrogen peroxide and rinsing my ear canal using a syringe with warm water before I could hear with my left ear.
My advice.... always equalize pressure in your ears, even if you are just snorkeling and going down 6 ft.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread