How long do we have until the spill hits Florida West/East Coast beaches?

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• oilspillLA.jpg
    oilspillLA.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 631
  • oilspillAL01.jpg
    oilspillAL01.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 635
  • oilspillLA02.jpg
    oilspillLA02.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 641
  • oilspillLA03.jpg
    oilspillLA03.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 641
  • olispillLA04.jpg
    olispillLA04.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 632
  • oilspillLA05.jpg
    oilspillLA05.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 637
  • oilspillLA06pelican.jpg
    oilspillLA06pelican.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 647
  • oilspillLA07.jpg
    oilspillLA07.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 630
  • oilspillLA08.jpg
    oilspillLA08.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 635
  • oilspillLA09.jpg
    oilspillLA09.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 624
  • oilspillMay26.jpg
    oilspillMay26.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 633
  • oilspillsheenoffPensacola.jpg
    oilspillsheenoffPensacola.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 626
Upvote 0

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"It will impact metal detecting....less vacationers means less rings and jewelry lost.
Because of that, water detector sales will plummet."

It amazes me that you people are worried about the loss of your metal detecting hobby........
Don't you have any concern for the environment? or The people's loss of making a living? :sad10:

Go detect at a local park or an old homesite. :tard:

FloridaTreasureFinder

Dec 6, 2009
Gainesville, Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101, Garrett AT Pro
I heard that people that live in the oil spill areas are being paid $60-80 an hour to clean up the mess. I would need to do more research to verify this info. But..., if that's the case, at least some people are making some money. If they have lost jobs & business due to the spill, they can be paid to help clean it up. And I also heard (on the news) that BP has been giving money to business' that lost business due to the spill. I think it's not very much at first, but more money will be paid out. There are already many lawsuits filed. Will take years to pay out and right this wrong.

It seems there is always human error on big disasters like this. Finger pointing, etc.. Sadly, I expect more disasters to happen with anything really. As long as there are huge companies, little or no regulation, politics, cutting costs, etc.. something is bound to happen sooner or later.

It's very sad. :(

skt

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To answer the posted question:
Obama doesn't care. He'll wait just as LONG as it takes for the crude to get to Florida's beaches. He wants...........NEEDS that mess to justify stopping ALL drilling in the Gulf. But, that idea is being turned against him. It's becoming his waterloo "oilyloo". :icon_pirat:

If that crud is allowed to dirty up those pure white beaches of Pensacola, his sorry butt is DONE. End of story.
I hope for the best for those folks along ALL of the beaches of the Gulf. Especially the people whose lively hood is based there.

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
SkyPirate said:
"It will impact metal detecting....less vacationers means less rings and jewelry lost.

It amazes me that you people are worried about the loss of your metal detecting hobby........
Don't you have any concern for the environment? The loss of precious natural resources? The people's loss of making a living? :sad10:

Uhmmm...the question was asked. And this is a metal detecting forum. The question was asked when it will hit the beaches.

You seem to have your panties in a bunch. Take a deep breath. Relax.

I answered him. If you don't like my answer then I would suggest not reading my post. I do care about the environment. I live in it. So do you. Loss of resources? Is that what you care about? Is that what nature means to you? Nature is just a resource?

I live part time in Florida.....of course I care about how folks who depend on the Gulf are going to make a living. Lots of people also depend on vacationers who METAL DETECT.........they buy food......gasoline.......they spend money..........I don't like my property values drop when oil is sprayed over my house when a hurricane hits. I don't like seeing big globs of oil on the beaches. I don't like seeing illegal aliens being paid to clean up the beaches with tax dollars. I don't like what BP is doing.....or not doing. Golf balls to stop a leak that has a well head psi of 50 to 70K. Golf balls.......HA!

And yes...I do take it personal when someone puts oil on the beach that I want to detect.

Lots of people sell metal detectors......that is their living. When no one is going into the water to swim.....then no one is going to buy a machine to hunt. Then Mr. metal detector salesperson won't be able to feed his children. He will probably lose his home......and his wife will leave him. I don't like that very much at all. Mr. motel owner won't be able to buy a new car because metal detectorists just stayed away because no one was going to the beaches. They guy who works for the automaker gets laid off because the motel owner did not buy his new car. Seven degrees of separation.

I could go on forever on why I am angry about this oil problem in the Gulf. I just did not have the time to post all my thoughts about it. IF you really want to know more....then e-mail me and I will send a 300 page E-mail telling you what else I do not like about the Gulf Oil problem.

And I do hunt parks and old home sites. So you don't need to tell me what to do.

By the way......I love to hunt the waters of the Gulf. I love finding gold rings...diamond rings.....platinum rings.......hopefully I will find a ring YOU lost in the water and I will sell it and buy a great big steak dinner. Lets kill some cows!

How's that for caring about the oil spill.......

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
SkyPirate said:
I would not worry about the "Hobby" getting ruined. Think about those poor defensless animals that don't stand a chance of survival, think about the families of the commercial fishermen and how they will survive with no income, think about how it will affect the tourism industry.

A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, often in one's spare time.
The heck with the animals. They should be fed...to the poor...with lots of barbecue sauce. With plenty of Manatee oil for the salad. And throw in a nice big whale sandwich.

Awww....think of the poor fishermen....who kill all your friends......and those fishermen feed your friends to the people who pay money to eat them.

Seeing how all the sharks, Manatees, whales, and everything else that lives in the Gulf is going to die.....lets kill everything now.......how about a big whale hunt........and a shark shoot. A Manatee massacre.

Yeah....I'm thinking of all the poor defenseless animals......and what the heck are you doing to help them? All I see is you posting here. Time to get off your but and out of your bedroom and go out and help all those poor defenseless animals. My job is to see that you go out and help them. Otherwise I will go out and make a meal of them.

Sell your metal detecting equipment...after all it is just a hobby....give the money to save the fish. Why not you head down to the beach and start cleaning up the beaches? :laughing7:

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunting is an environmentally friendly hobby. We walk up and down the beach taking the trash we find leaving the beach cleaner. Also by walking/digging we are getting good exercise (makes us healthier) and we help the environment by using our legs instead of fossil fuels. :icon_thumleft:

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not a slave to any oil company,I have driven my diesel truck well over 20,000 miles on used cooking oil in the past year.

If you want to help with the oil clean up,you will first have to take a hazmat course.
Please note: We have contacted the Coast Guard and BP in regards to providing free HAZMAT training to our volunteers. The response we received is that BP pays for training but not until Spill Oil has been identified in
our area by the Coast Guard.)

FULL DISCOUNTED HAZMAT TRAINING COURSE NOW ONLINE FOR KEYSSPILL.COM VOLUNTEERS PBSA Inc, has setup up a unique page on our website for keysspill.com volunteers.PBSA has established a discounted price of $69.00 per person for the OSHA Hazwoper (Hazmat) 24 hour training course. Once the student starts the course, they may take the course at their own pace and may login and logout as needed. The course includes 24 hour support by telephone, email and live chat. They may print their completion certificate immediately after successful completion of the course.Here is the link for the course: http://www.oshacampusonline.com/keysspill-24-hour-hazmat.html
http://www.keysspill.com/

http://www.volunteerfloridadisaster.org/

http://www.brevardcounty.us/oil_spill/index.cfm

If you own a boat and want to make some money with it.
http://www.deepwaterhorizonresponse.com/go/doc/2931/542683/

If you want to file a claim cause you cant MD on any beaches and this is your only source of income or Bodily Injury or Illness
and Property Damage.

https://www.bp.com/secure/iframe.do?categoryId=9033722&contentId=7062138

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a terrible thing, thanks for the hazpower link. I have been laid off for a while now and maybe this is something I could do ... I am a highly experienced equipment operator...

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody here watch the major new channels? Do you watch C-Span 2/3 where official government panels are taking testimony from victims, experts, etc? Many of the people cleaning up the oil spill are already becoming hospital sick. The witnesses say BP won't let them wear respirators or they'll be fired. The experts are drawing an analogy between the ill people who worked the 911 clean up, now surfacing 10 years after the event, with the unknown illnesses of the spill clean up people.
The dispersants are proprietary and the manufacturers don't want another chemical company to 'steal' their forumula less their profits decrease. So...they won't tell the medical folks or the government or anyone, what's in their dispersants so those ill might be treated in other than a WAG.
There's more to this than metal detecting or making some $$ finding work. The poster above was correct. ALL the animals are going to suffer or die. Hell man! When they turn over the gravel on the beaches where the Exon Valdez spilled her gutts, how many years ago, there is still goeey black stuff that acts, smells, and looks like crude. Get off the forum and try to learn what is really going on...jim

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve from ohio said:
That oil will hit the beaches sooner than anyone expected.

There is one thing I still do not understand. An oil rig such as the one that sank, never sank before in history. They are built to withstand hurricanes and extreme conditions. It was huge.

I've yet to see any photos of the sunk rig or mention of any investigation as to why it sank.

I believe that this oil rig was attacked, purposely sunk to destroy the US economy and in that respect that attack will do its job. This will be 9/11 times 10. Why did Obama announce he was sending SWAT teams to oil rigs in the Gulf?

Predictions......illegal aliens will be used to clean up the oil. That is why BP is not allowing interviews with clean up workers. Many cannot speak English.
There will be massive corruption in the clean up of the oil.
This will destroy businesses all along the Gulf Coast.
Oil will go up in price because of this terrorist attack. Gasoline will go up in price despite a drop in demand. Obama will get his taxes on oil passed.
Many will cancel plans to vacation in Florida and all along the Gulf Coast.
It will impact metal detecting....less vacationers means less rings and jewelry lost.
Because of that, water detector sales will plummet.

The effects of this oil disaster will last for decades.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! you just made #1 on the "Top 10 Wackiest Conspiracy Theories" !
:evil5:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldfever said:
I dont think it's fair to totally blame BP for this accident.

If it wasnt for the demand for oil, from every one of us, then accidents like this would not happen.

If you drive a car to get to the beach to MD and you find an oil slick ruining everything, then look to yourself as part of the problem responsible for it.
If that is the case then you really have no right to complain.

Disclaimer;,,, This is not directed at anyone here. This is just my take on this whole situation
[/q

BP cut many corners comprimising safety to save time and more importantly...MONEY! They are to blame. There are right ways of doing things. This is why we have engineers and scientists working for these big companies. If no one listens to them then whats the point of having them? :icon_scratch:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
goldfever said:
As long as we thirst for oil, there will continue to be oil spills.

If BP goes bankrupt because of this spill, there will be less oil to go around, which will drive the price up.

Then everyone will be complaining about that too.

I think it is hypocritical to drive a car everyday, then complain about polution from oil spills.

If we , as a whole, didn't demand oil, then there would be no reason to drill offshore.
And this would never have happened.

So utimately, we as consumers are as much to blame for this as BP is.

Instead of assigning blame, and complaining, take some responsibility.
If you are not willing to park your car forever, then put your protest sign down, drive to the beach, and help clean it up!

Disclaimer; This is not directed at anyone in particular here. When I say "you" I mean everyone.

"If BP goes bankrupt because of this spill, there will be less oil to go around, which will drive the price up."

If BP goes bankrupt it serves them right. This will have no effect on oil or price, there are 50 more oil companies waiting in line to take their place drilling oil. The oil is there and there are plenty of people eager to get it.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davest said:
number l, this should be in pollytix. number 2, it's not a spill, it's a disaster brought upon us because a company said it could regulate itself and went the cheap way to save some money. A spill is something that happens when a cup overturns or a boat springs a leak.

number 3, I was in the Gulf this morning, west of the Sandpiper resort in Pinellas County Florida (hahahahaha), I thought of how it would look covered in a 2 inch layer of crude and got pretty much bummed out.

number 4, whether or not you believe in global warming, climate change, peak oil or any combination of the above, it's time to move onto renewable energy sources. I wonder what would happen if we had a solar spill.

number 5, it's gonna hit within 6 months, it might not be a bunch, but the beaches from Clearwater to Pass A Grille will have tar balls and oil sheen. That's just a matter of the loop current.
:thumbsup:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fathead said:
goldfever said:
I dont think it's fair to totally blame BP for this accident.

If it wasnt for the demand for oil, from every one of us, then accidents like this would not happen.

If you drive a car to get to the beach to MD and you find an oil slick ruining everything, then look to yourself as part of the problem responsible for it.
If that is the case then you really have no right to complain.

Disclaimer;,,, This is not directed at anyone here. This is just my take on this whole situation

Did all those dogs who died from eating tainted dog food deserve it because they didn't demand organic food?
Did those children deserve lead poisoning because they wanted to wear cheap jewelry?
Is my wife to blame for blood diamond genocide because she wears an engagement ring?
Am I to blame for asbestos related cancers because I wanted to go to a school with fire retardent insulation?
Are you responsible for the ecological disasters related to strip mining precious metals because you metal detect?

I stopped buying Exxon after the Valdez and I have never bought BP gas (that I am aware of) so I'm not sure how I bear any responsability for their mess ups. How can you drill and operate a hole a mile underwater and not have several emergency options for plugging it? I can shut off my well in three different ways.

Do not place BP's blame on me. And yes you ARE talking about all of us.

-Fathead

I agree :thumbsup:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
time4me said:
goldfever said:
As long as we thirst for oil, there will continue to be oil spills.

If BP goes bankrupt because of this spill, there will be less oil to go around, which will drive the price up.

Then everyone will be complaining about that too.

I think it is hypocritical to drive a car everyday, then complain about polution from oil spills.

If we , as a whole, didn't demand oil, then there would be no reason to drill offshore.
And this would never have happened.

So utimately, we as consumers are as much to blame for this as BP is.

Instead of assigning blame, and complaining, take some responsibility.
If you are not willing to park your car forever, then put your protest sign down, drive to the beach, and help clean it up!

Disclaimer; This is not directed at anyone in particular here. When I say "you" I mean everyone.

Have to disagree with you BIGTIME. I don't thirst for oil. If there was an available, and affordable alternative today for automobile transportation, that did not require oil, I (and pretty much everyone else out there) would be using it.

I place 100% of the blame on the big oil companies, and their lobbyists in Washington D.C., who have done everything in their power to squash the advancement of clean, renewable energy alternatives to oil and gas. Oh, I guess a bunch of the blame also goes to automotive industry for not designing and building alternative energy vehicles 50 years ago.

Give me a friggin break - we are using 200 year old technology in our vehicles. We put men on the moon in the 1960's - are you telling me that we couldn't design and manufacture automobiles that do not rely on gas and oil? Can you honestly tell me that if it weren't for the big oil companies looking out for their interests, that we wouldn't all be driving electric or battery powered cars by now?

I hope BP does go bankrupt and out of business. Maybe from their ashes, America and the rest of the world will wake up and put this reliance on oil behind us once and for all.
:thumbsup:

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve from ohio said:
SkyPirate said:

Don't you have any concern for the environment? The loss of precious natural resources? The people's loss of making a living? :sad10:

Uhmmm...the question was asked. And this is a metal detecting forum. The question was asked when it will hit the beaches.

You seem to have your panties in a bunch. Take a deep breath. Relax.

I answered him. If you don't like my answer then I would suggest not reading my post. I do care about the environment. I live in it. So do you. Loss of resources? Is that what you care about? Is that what nature means to you? Nature is just a resource?

I live part time in Florida.....of course I care about how folks who depend on the Gulf are going to make a living. Lots of people also depend on vacationers who METAL DETECT.........they buy food......gasoline.......they spend money..........I don't like my property values drop when oil is sprayed over my house when a hurricane hits. I don't like seeing big globs of oil on the beaches. I don't like seeing illegal aliens being paid to clean up the beaches with tax dollars. I don't like what BP is doing.....or not doing. Golf balls to stop a leak that has a well head psi of 50 to 70K. Golf balls.......HA!

And yes...I do take it personal when someone puts oil on the beach that I want to detect.

Lots of people sell metal detectors......that is their living. When no one is going into the water to swim.....then no one is going to buy a machine to hunt. Then Mr. metal detector salesperson won't be able to feed his children. He will probably lose his home......and his wife will leave him. I don't like that very much at all. Mr. motel owner won't be able to buy a new car because metal detectorists just stayed away because no one was going to the beaches. They guy who works for the automaker gets laid off because the motel owner did not buy his new car. Seven degrees of separation.

I could go on forever on why I am angry about this oil problem in the Gulf. I just did not have the time to post all my thoughts about it. IF you really want to know more....then e-mail me and I will send a 300 page E-mail telling you what else I do not like about the Gulf Oil problem.

And I do hunt parks and old home sites. So you don't need to tell me what to do.

By the way......I love to hunt the waters of the Gulf. I love finding gold rings...diamond rings.....platinum rings.......hopefully I will find a ring YOU lost in the water and I will sell it and buy a great big steak dinner. Lets kill some cows!

How's that for caring about the oil spill.......

:tard: by natural resources I mean the precious wildlife and the marshes and bodies of water that support it.

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
steve from ohio said:
SkyPirate said:
I would not worry about the "Hobby" getting ruined. Think about those poor defensless animals that don't stand a chance of survival, think about the families of the commercial fishermen and how they will survive with no income, think about how it will affect the tourism industry.

A hobby is an activity or interest that is undertaken for pleasure or relaxation, often in one's spare time.
The heck with the animals. They should be fed...to the poor...with lots of barbecue sauce. With plenty of Manatee oil for the salad. And throw in a nice big whale sandwich.

Awww....think of the poor fishermen....who kill all your friends......and those fishermen feed your friends to the people who pay money to eat them.

Seeing how all the sharks, Manatees, whales, and everything else that lives in the Gulf is going to die.....lets kill everything now.......how about a big whale hunt........and a shark shoot. A Manatee massacre.

Yeah....I'm thinking of all the poor defenseless animals......and what the heck are you doing to help them? All I see is you posting here. Time to get off your but and out of your bedroom and go out and help all those poor defenseless animals. My job is to see that you go out and help them. Otherwise I will go out and make a meal of them.

Sell your metal detecting equipment...after all it is just a hobby....give the money to save the fish. Why not you head down to the beach and start cleaning up the beaches? :laughing7:

IDIOT :tard:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have had since 1973 to do something about oil after the first oil embargo, our elected politicians (on BOTH sides of the asle) own a big share of the blame, as they have repeatedly allowed "Big Oil" to do as they have more or less pleased, and done nothing to force alternative energy. We could have been on an alternative energy source 10 years ago.

"Brazil is considered to have the world's first sustainable biofuels economy and is the biofuel industry leader. The Brazilian car manufacturing industry developed flexible-fuel vehicles that can run on any proportion of gasoline (E20-E25 blend) and hydrous ethanol. The success of "flex" vehicles, together with the mandatory E25 blend throughout the country, have allowed ethanol fuel consumption in the country to achieve a 50% market share of the gasoline-powered fleet by February 2008..... Introduced in the market in 2003, flex vehicles became a commercial success, reaching a record 92.3% share of all new cars and light vehicle sales for 2009."

They accomplished this because it was mandated by law.

architecad

Nov 25, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX-II, GTI 2500, Sea hunter, Eagle Eye two box
with all this tragedy, we are destroying our own planet. Even with all advance technology, we are not advance enough at all to stop the oil spill.

2012 end of this planet, we deserve it.

Arch

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3
Oil on the Gulf coast beaches? Oh good heaven, what am I going to do? HA!! Tomorrow (6-15-10) I am going to purchase 40 airline tickets to fly my family (Me, my kids (8) and their kids (25) to Tampa, Fl for a wonderful week on Siesta Key with lodging ON THE BEACH right after Christmas. Oil on the world's 2nd best beach in the world? I'm not a worry wart, we're going!!! I'll try to spend a little money down there to cheer people up that have businesses in the area.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread