bangalores.jpg

you also get the benefit of clearing a big crater of sand

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal mania said:
curious how do you work out the depth of the sand at a beach

It can be 2 feet at one point and 10-15 feet at another point just down the beach a short ways.....It's called "Mother Nature", she changes it daily and weekly....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C'mon guys, I think it is a valid question.... If I knew there was a beach that historically had deep sand, and one that had hardpan consistently less than that, I would surely want to hunt it more than the deeper beach since gold would stop within reach... Of course, sand moves, but you have to admit, beaches that are constantly "re-nourished" cant be as good as beaches that arent, and dont usually have the sand go from 2 ft deep to 6 feet deep overnight...
As far as determining the depth, that can only be determined by hunting a beach a lot, and at various times of the year, and even then, you could probably only get a good estimate of the "general" depth of the sand there...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The depth of sand on the beaches vary greatly and are constantly changing so you can't say Daytona is 4 foot, St Pete is 3 foot, Miami is 1 foot, it doesn't work that way. Surf is constantly bringing on and taking out sand, the wind, wind direction, surf conditions rip currents, and the time of the year are all variables.....It this doesn't even account for man make changes...

I have dug up clay in my scoop at Daytona, but you can't do that now, but you could possibly do so after the next Nor-Eastern, sub tropical or even high winds from the North East at high tide or bad rip tides....

Wasn't being a smart azz, it is "Mother Nature" and it is constantly changing...........

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I think the answer you are looking for is ..... if you hunt a certain beach on a regular basis then you have to find a constant...a lifeguard tower, set of stairs, a pier and just keep an eye on how high the sand is on that object and once you have a pretty good understanding of the "average" depth of sand at that point you can get an idea if the beach has extra sand or not.... thats how I know if the water level at the lake I hunt is up or down by how far above or below a particular board on a certain pier

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Marty-Graw said:
I think the answer you are looking for is ..... if you hunt a certain beach on a regular basis then you have to find a constant...a lifeguard tower, set of stairs, a pier and just keep an eye on how high the sand is on that object and once you have a pretty good understanding of the "average" depth of sand at that point you can get an idea if the beach has extra sand or not.... thats how I know if the water level at the lake I hunt is up or down by how far above or below a particular board on a certain pier

Exactly, study your beaches and understand what certain storms will do to them, how they change year around and when they are prime to hunt or sanded in and almost a waste of time. Look for cuts and low spots. Also exposed rocks and shells will tell you that the sand is gone and you are near or at the harder sediment layer.

OP
OP
M

metal mania

Jul 4, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Surfer said:
C'mon guys, I think it is a valid question.... If I knew there was a beach that historically had deep sand, and one that had hardpan consistently less than that, I would surely want to hunt it more than the deeper beach since gold would stop within reach... Of course, sand moves, but you have to admit, beaches that are constantly "re-nourished" cant be as good as beaches that arent, and dont usually have the sand go from 2 ft deep to 6 feet deep overnight...
As far as determining the depth, that can only be determined by hunting a beach a lot, and at various times of the year, and even then, you could probably only get a good estimate of the "general" depth of the sand there...

thank you I'am getting tired of getting jumped on with the idiotic answers although your perfectly entitled to your point of view.

The stock answer is go to the golden ord site I think its called excellent site the guy did an outstanding job. I was thinking more of ultra sound or geo physic equipment using goggle earth metal rods .

Do you guys really want this great site to become a place where one can't ask a question some one once said knowledge is power.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a lumber crayon on poles, but in a few spots every so often I set my self leveling laser set it on the same stair and measure, my usual spot if 4ft higher than it was 3 months ago...

C

Cappy Z.

Archaeologist often do test holes to analyze the strata for clues...I suggest if you know an area of beach that might be near a known shipwreck then do just that...make a series of test holes...once you find the shallowest in terms of getting to the bedrock..keep a notebook with measurements and diagrams etc.

Good Luck

Cap Z.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal mania said:
The stock answer is go to the golden ord site I think its called excellent site the guy did an outstanding job. I was thinking more of ultra sound or geo physic equipment using goggle earth metal rods .

Problem is as far as hunters hunting a beach go your measurement will only be valid at the time you made it and for a very short period of time. The depth can, will and does change the following tide, day, week, or even the very next couple of hours as wave action digs a ditch, or rip tide digs a hole so what is the point of spending all the time doing it?

If the experiment was made on a fresh body of water that has no wave action it would be more valid, on a constantly changing salt water beach it makes no sense....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
metal mania said:

Problem is as far as hunters hunting a beach go your measurement will only be valid at the time you made it and for a very short period of time. The depth can, will and does change the following tide, day, week, or even the very next couple of hours as wave action digs a ditch, or rip tide digs a hole so what is the point of spending all the time doing it?

If the experiment was made on a fresh body of water that has no wave action it would be more valid, on a constantly changing salt water beach it makes no sense....
Treasure Hunter is right. You have to have knowledge of past history at the beach in question. Or you can look for a guy on the beach with a Plexiglas box and ask him what the depth is.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
metal mania said:

Treasure Hunter is right. You have to have knowledge of past history at the beach in question. Or you can look for a guy on the beach with a Plexiglas box and ask him what the depth is.

He will be the guy in the plexiglas box, inside the shark cage.... :laughing9:

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best way to tell how deep the sand is ,is to get in the water ,dig a hole until you hit shell then you will know how deep the sand is . In my area the sand runs from o to 2 feet depending on weather the city has add beach or not. Myself I look for Rocks in the water thats where you will find Gold. HH Ron Lord ,Naples Fla.

mommagpx

Feb 5, 2009
I love it and was thinking maybe someone just changed their name?????? Maybe their related lol, you guys make me laugh and again LOVE IT!!!

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
I look for Rocks in the water thats where you will find Gold.
I found a pretty big area like that at Miami this last time... Negative tide... Pretty big cut.... Unfortunately, I was about 1/2 mile from where I parked, couldnt dig with the scoop at all due to all the rocks/coral, and my snorkel/mask was back at the truck.. I figure the only way to hunt the multiple signals I was getting was to fan, but you cant do that without at least a mask.. The waves made visability really poor...
In retrospect, I should have walked back to the truck and got my gear, and walked back and hunted the hell out of that rocky area..

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
All the answers have already been given, but I will recap how it works for me. 1. Go to the beach a lot. 2. Find a fixed structure, (pier, or steps is what I use). 3. Determine a reference point that is easy to identify, and will not be covered over by the shifting sand. And there you have it. If I can't reach the cross arm on the piling at the pier, I know the sand has shifted away from the pier. However, as was indicated by others, that sand might just be 200 yards down the beach. I am always amazed every time I go to the beach after a storm and find vertical drops in the sand at the dune line as much as 6' high. Obviously, less sand is at the dune line, and perhaps in the shallow water as well. When you go to the beach often enough, you get a feel for the sand movement without getting a tape measure out. Just get out there an hunt, you will figure it out soon enough. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread