Looking for some harness ideas/pics to lighten the excal.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sucks getting old... but the arms and shoulders just dont last as long as they use to not to mention the feet and ankles.
Factor in my regular week at work, and my bodies pretty much beat to heck by the end of the weekend.

I've seen some with bungee setups that look great and others that look like the were made by NASA engineers. Do they really easy the weight? Or Do they hinder the swing?

Thanks

Upvote 0

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArmyDiver said:
(sarcasm on) Man I'll tell ya, the more I look into and learn about MDing, the more I'm blown away by just how fashionable this hobby truly is (sarcasm off)

In all honesty though, that does look like a nice way to lighten the load. I'm a youngin so I'm not entirely worried about it. How much does the Excal actually weigh?

I know it's an old post but I was doing a search on alternative mounting options and just thought I would mention that I take back what I said. I just got my Excal II and was playing around with it in the back yard. Tossed out some coins and tried to find them and get used to the sounds that different metals made. In that time alone (maybe an hour) my arm started getting kinda tired and I was definitely sick of bending over and picking stuff up.

I like the hip mount that is shown here and saw everyone's comments about the tugging on the wires and connectors. I have my wire tightly wound around the shaft and zip tied on with enough slack that the connectors aren't pulling and have a small amount of play. If I were to do the hip mount shown here, what do people suggest in order to keep from tugging at the connections?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/quote]

I know it's an old post but I was doing a search on alternative mounting options and just thought I would mention that I take back what I said. I just got my Excal II and was playing around with it in the back yard. Tossed out some coins and tried to find them and get used to the sounds that different metals made. In that time alone (maybe an hour) my arm started getting kinda tired and I was definitely sick of bending over and picking stuff up.

I like the hip mount that is shown here and saw everyone's comments about the tugging on the wires and connectors. I have my wire tightly wound around the shaft and zip tied on with enough slack that the connectors aren't pulling and have a small amount of play. If I were to do the hip mount shown here, what do people suggest in order to keep from tugging at the connections?
[/quote]

With my neck mount I have enough slack in the wire that there is no tugging at the connections. The cable is not wrapped on the shaft but run straight down the left side and taped every couple inches with it stopping at the handle where it then comes to the controls in a large loop. Maybe the cables for the Excal II's are shorter to save money.

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
When I first got my Excal I noticed it was getting uncomfortable after about 2 hours, went to the rear mount straight shaft and not a problem since. I've done 8 hours with no fatigue at all. The better balance the straight gives makes all the difference.

Just my .02 worth, but I'm also still a pup at 50, LOL...

Hey T-Hunter and Sandman how's it going, hadn't had to bug ya'll lately.

HH

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
At 62, I've got my Excal on a straight shaft with the controls just behind my elbow, I can hunt for hours with no fatigue. I have tried it with the controls just under my forearm, no good, machine too heavy. RT, you must be hunting in Galveston, I hunt mostly Surfside and Bryan, lots of people there lately, have found silver coins and rings. Last week I found the usual clad and one .925 silver ring, it came out black and it is still very dark after cleaning. Here are a couple of pics. HH John

Attachments

• ring.jpg.JPG
    ring.jpg.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 218
  • ring1.jpg.JPG
    ring1.jpg.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 224

excal/pirate

Jan 28, 2009
if your going to hip mount you need to put a cable relief on wear your coil cable comes out of the excal also beware of hiting the earphone wear it goes into the excal its right in the way when you dig thats why i pistol mount mine and wearing it on you back area makes it really hard to adjust the controls

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread