Looking for some harness ideas/pics to lighten the excal.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sucks getting old... but the arms and shoulders just dont last as long as they use to not to mention the feet and ankles.
Factor in my regular week at work, and my bodies pretty much beat to heck by the end of the weekend.

I've seen some with bungee setups that look great and others that look like the were made by NASA engineers. Do they really easy the weight? Or Do they hinder the swing?

Thanks

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gold-digger said:
Sucks getting old... but the arms and shoulders just dont last as long as they use to not to mention the feet and ankles.
Factor in my regular week at work, and my bodies pretty much beat to heck by the end of the weekend.

I've seen some with bungee setups that look great and others that look like the were made by NASA engineers. Do they really easy the weight? Or Do they hinder the swing?

Thanks

Gold digger, don't know if you remember, but I bought my original Beach Brute from you used about 4 years ago, we met up in Orlando one day when you were going to the East Coast when I got it from you......LOL time flies.

I do not understand why anyone hunts with out a harness. I have been using one for several years and it makes all the difference in the world. I can hunt from dawn to dark and no arm pain, and I will be 62 on next BD.....Can't help you on the feet and ankles ...Sorry :laughing9:

1. It takes all the weight off your arm, your shoulder suppports the weight with it, your arm guides the coil.

2. If you let go of it, it hangs right by your side, controls up so you can use both hands on your scoop when in the water, or anytime you need 2 hands for something..

2. You can punch holes in it at the shoulder, install ss eyelets and d-hooks to hang water bottle, finds box for coins, waterproof holder for what ever.

lejermonModel-Sharness-2.jpg

"S" model from Kellyco fits Excal, and it works perfectly....Cost is $19.95 http://www.kellycodetectors.com/accessories/lejermonharnesses.htm

I think so highly of it, I carry a backup one in my detector mobile in case I lose it....

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
(sarcasm on) Man I'll tell ya, the more I look into and learn about MDing, the more I'm blown away by just how fashionable this hobby truly is (sarcasm off)

In all honesty though, that does look like a nice way to lighten the load. I'm a youngin so I'm not entirely worried about it. How much does the Excal actually weigh?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ArmyDiver said:
(sarcasm on) Man I'll tell ya, the more I look into and learn about MDing, the more I'm blown away by just how fashionable this hobby truly is (sarcasm off)

In all honesty though, that does look like a nice way to lighten the load. I'm a youngin so I'm not entirely worried about it. How much does the Excal actually weigh?

The Excal is heavy, especially with the stock shaft, when you first start you do not notice weight so much, if you only hunt an hour or two, it's not a problem. If you want to hunt like many of us do for 4-12 hours at a time and many times for several days in a row it makes a major difference. The easier it is to hunt, the longer and more hunting you can do.

OP
OP
gold-digger

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Hi Marty, and thanks I'll check out kellyco' site, thats what I've been looking for.

Just like you said- the first 2-3 hours are Ok, after that its pain without some sort of support.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't use a harness but it would come in handy for some. I suspend my Excal controls from my neck with a camera strap and all I have for weight on the arm is the shaft and coil. But I don't hunt as long as I used to either.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
I hip mount the controls,have a straight shaft and like Sandman only have the shaft and coil to hold.I have a bungee harness that i use with the Etrac and 15x12 SEF coil,but find it seriously inhibits my swing when doing a half circle swing to either side.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
I hip mount the controls,have a straight shaft and like Sandman only have the shaft and coil to hold.I have a bungee harness that i use with the Etrac and 15x12 SEF coil,but find it seriously inhibits my swing when doing a half circle swing to either side.

I use to waist mount and then neck mount the controls, I found it put too much stress on the cables at the point where it enters the controls when on my waist, and I got tired of the strain when hanging it my neck for hours on end when carrying it there. I put controls back on my shaft.

I have been using the harness and bungee for over 3 years now and it has never inhibited my swing in any direction and that includes using it on the 10 inch stock, 15 inch WOT and the 15"x18" SEF Butteryfly coil............

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have hip mounted mine! it is not horizontal but vertical, hangs down like a arrow quiver or a sword and is connected through my belt loop. i cannot see any strain or binding of my cables. working great so far!!!!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seeker41 said:
i have hip mounted mine! it is not horizontal but vertical, hangs down like a arrow quiver or a sword and is connected through my belt loop. i cannot see any strain or binding of my cables. working great so far!!!!!!

I tried both horizonial and vertical, cables were still pulled at controls from time to time durring coil sweeps plus being hit by scoop and shaft at other times, I decided it was just not worth the chance of damage. The straight shaft protects the controls, the harness supports all the weight, plus gives me a place to hang items, and no stress on cables ever...........I had no problems when hanging from my neck as far as stress on controls, but got tired of the stress and weight on my neck....

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Age 70

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_3104.JPG
    IMG_3104.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 477
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 445

TexasDigger1

May 31, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
Hey Erikk, where'd you get that T-shirt, I like it? At 62, I thought I was one of the oldest here, at 70, man, you were born during the horse and buggy days....ha ha BTW, the straight shaft I made for my Excal works great and I can swing it all day without any fatigue or pain, glad I took your advice and built my own, thanks for the aircraft website....Good hunting to you. John

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
I don't want to hear you young fella's complain. and please show me some respect.
July 2, I'm 72.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TexasDigger1 said:
Hey Erikk, where'd you get that T-shirt, I like it? At 62, I thought I was one of the oldest here, at 70, man, you were born during the horse and buggy days....ha ha BTW, the straight shaft I made for my Excal works great and I can swing it all day without any fatigue or pain, glad I took your advice and built my own, thanks for the aircraft website....Good hunting to you. John

where else
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,327282.0.html

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
Get a chest mount. I have seen some older folks using the chest mount and they all say it really works well for them. They do make some changes to the Excalibur by supporting the cables coming out of the Excalibur.

I suppose when I get older, I will probably have to do the same. But for now, the straight shaft is the answer for me.

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I belt mount the control unit and battery of my Excalibur.

Takes the weight off the arms, and puts the controls where they can easily be reached.

I bought a nylon tool belt at Lowes for $5.00, along with 3 plastic screws, 6 plastic washers, and 3 plastic wing nuts.

I also purchased a 1 foot segment of plastic pipe to support the control head while on the tool belt.

I matched the holes in the excalibur mount to the pipe and belt, and assembled it all in about 15 minutes.

I've been using this for two years now - no problems.

Bill

Attachments

• beltmountexcalibur.jpg
    beltmountexcalibur.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 439

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill thats a great idea but I think most of us wouldn't be able to see the knobs if you know what I mean and I am not talking about water

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
TexasDigger1 said:
Glad it's working for U T is from FL BILL

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the basically the same set-up. Makes the coil and shaft weigh about 2.5 lbs.

Check out harbor frieght, they have padded nylon belts for $3.99. I used a leather punch to cut the holes through it.

I also had a minelab offer to buy it from me a couple week ago because of the back log at minelab.
I belt mount the control unit and battery of my Excalibur.

Takes the weight off the arms, and puts the controls where they can easily be reached.

I bought a nylon tool belt at Lowes for $5.00, along with 3 plastic screws, 6 plastic washers, and 3 plastic wing nuts.

I also purchased a 1 foot segment of plastic pipe to support the control head while on the tool belt.

I matched the holes in the excalibur mount to the pipe and belt, and assembled it all in about 15 minutes.

I've been using this for two years now - no problems.

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions