ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello again,
I know I've been a post-a-holic over the last few days, I apologize, just trying to get all the info I can. I decided to take the dive and shell out the cash for the Minelab Excalibur II. Great, now my only issue is that it's on backorder. One of the members here is working to find an alternative to my dilemma but I figured I'd ask in case that fell through. I called KellyCo and chatted with a very nice sales associate. He informed me of the backorder issues and why they were happening. He said that there was a considerably lower wait time for the 8 inch coil opposed to the 10 inch. Almost 40 backorders difference. My question is this...

If I plan on doing most of my detecting in the water and close to it, how much of a difference is getting the 8 inch VS the 10. Is it worth it to hold out and wait or would I be fine with the 8. I plan on putting a WOT coil on once the warranty expires anyhow.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I say never substitute your desires for something that would give you 2nd thoughts.
In this game patience is a virtue.

P.S.
Your questions are the type that are truly welcome. They are coherent, and not off the wall.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:
I say never substitute your desires for something that would give you 2nd thoughts.
I second that!!! The ten inch coil not only goes deeper but it covers more area per sweep. If you are not going in the water why not get the Sov GT, as it comes with the 10" standard and you can change to the WOT by intalling it yourself at any time. You don't have to get it from Kellyco if they don't have any as many dealers carry them at the same price and maybe with free shipping.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:

Perfectly stated! Your machine is something you want to have 100% confidence in.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
could you tell me if you have any Minelab Excalibur ll's (metal detector) in stock thanks Bill

Currently we do have the 8” coil Excalibur II in stock…the ones with the 10” coils are on backorder. Let us know if you would like us to save one of the 8” ones for you. Doug

This was Adventure [[email protected]]

I am also waiting for one with the large coil

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally I would never ever buy a new Excal with 8 inch, if it was used and out of warranty and the price was good I might, but it would quickly be modded with a WOT coil,;.........at the beach bigger is better..........

The 10 Inch goes deeper then the 8 inch and covers 2 more inches of area, but the 15 inch WOT goes a lot deeper and covers 50% more area. I have used WOT coil to hunt for the last 3 years at the beach, I could never go back to anything smaller unless all of mine were broke and I had to borrow one.

Since I have 2 Excals and a water proofed Sov GT all with custom coils, I really don't see that happening...........( Knock on wood :icon_thumright: )

OP
OP
ArmyDiver

ArmyDiver

Jun 8, 2010
Melbourne, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'd say that's just about the first time I've seen a universally agreed upon answer on this forum. Thanks for the input everyone!

I do plan on doing most of my detecting IN the water and while diving. Will the larger coil be a problem getting into smaller crevices and cracks or would those issues be so minute that the extra depth and coverage outweigh the benefits of the smaller coil?

I'll look around and do some price shopping for other dealers and see if they can match up with KellyCo and what their wait times are. I'm just impatient... it's hard to wait when I get on the forum and see all the awesome stuff that everyone is finding. Plus, hurricane season is coming and I don't want to miss out on a chance to clean up after a storm!

Thanks again!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
By the way you talk, and future Plans, I think your first choice should be the 10.........what matters is where you are going to hunt. Trashy place, 8 inch.....10 inch for cleaner beachs..and most are very clean from the wet, high tide out.

Attachments

• 8 vs 10 Trash.jpg
    8 vs 10 Trash.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 314
D

digum smacks

question can i telepathicaly find gold with my metal detector :tongue3: :laughing9: 10 inch would be better the brain waves are easier picked up with a bigger coil :laughing9:

seeker41

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2007
spacecoast florida
Detector(s) used
fisher cz6a--teknetics g2 --cz20--minelab excal 800--discovery3300--original whites tdi--tesoro sandshark--whites dual field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the 10 incher!!!!!!!!! i bought a excal 800 and wish i had the 1000 or 10 inch coil. the 8 inch coil is actually only 7 1/2 :dontknow: inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008
ArmyDiver said:
Hello again,
I know I've been a post-a-holic over the last few days, I apologize, just trying to get all the info I can. I decided to take the dive and shell out the cash for the Minelab Excalibur II. Great, now my only issue is that it's on backorder. One of the members here is working to find an alternative to my dilemma but I figured I'd ask in case that fell through. I called KellyCo and chatted with a very nice sales associate. He informed me of the backorder issues and why they were happening. He said that there was a considerably lower wait time for the 8 inch coil opposed to the 10 inch. Almost 40 backorders difference. My question is this...

If I plan on doing most of my detecting in the water and close to it, how much of a difference is getting the 8 inch VS the 10. Is it worth it to hold out and wait or would I be fine with the 8. I plan on putting a WOT coil on once the warranty expires anyhow.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Find someone who has the Excalibur II 800 that wants to sell....get it cheaper than new that way.....use the money you saved to buy the WOT......so the warranty won't be an issue and you will have the dream machine way before buying a new 1000 and waiting for the warranty to expire. The WOT is the coil in my opinion that is a must have for beach and water hunting.

I tested the WOT against the factory 10 inch and I can say with all certainty that the WOT is deeper than the factory 10 coil. I buried a man's heavy gold ring in the wet sand down 12 inches. The 10 hit it weak but the WOT really hit it hard in the discrimination mode. Both hit the ring really well in all metal (pin point).

I then buried it 15 inches.....the factory 10 could not hit it in discrimination mode but hit it OK in all metal...or pinpoint mode. The signal was a little weak but I would definitely dig it. The WOT hit the ring hard in both discriminate and all metal.
I then did one last test.

I buried the ring in wet sand down 18 inches. The ten just barely hit it in all metal..so weak that I may not have dug it...and no signal at all in discriminate....while the WOT hit is well in both.

Get the WOT as soon as you can. It will pay for itself.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread