Alan Hassell

Jun 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
pulse star 2, impulse, spectrum. goldscan, PI 3000
WHAT'S YOUR GOLD WORTH.?

WHAT'S YOUR GOLD WORTH.?
By Alan Hassell©
Copyright © 14/3/98 All rights reserved,
no part can be published without authors written consent.
Readers are allowed to save file or print out for own use only.

It's a question we all ask ourselves about a minute or so after anyone recovers any object made of Gold, What is it worth?.

Although we, daily get the Gold price on television and other media sources the price is unfortunately in U.S. dollars that does not give the average guy a clue what its worth in Australian currency.

Although one Melbourne newspaper does convert the gold price to our currency not everybody reads it. Anyone using a simple calculator can by using a simple formula convert U.S. gold price to Australian.

What is essential is knowing the value of the Australian dollar on the day. This again is given during the news reports and should be noted on a piece of paper together with the gold price.

The secret is to take the decimal point separating dollars from cents and bring it forward 2 points. With the decimal point now at the beginning we can come up with a quick accurate method of what gold's worth in Australia. Simply divide the price of gold with the price our dollar, i.e. .7365 divided by $385.00 = $522.74. From this, we can then work out what our gold is worth per gram.

There are 31.2 grams of gold to the TROY ounce so using the divisional button simply divide $522.74 by 31.2 and we come up with $16.75.

This is the price of pure 24 carat gold, not variants such as 9, 18 or 22 carat gold. We must break these figures down to come to a satisfactory price again. When jewellers use 9-carat gold, it is made up of .375 parts of gold and 625 parts of another metal such as copper.

This is done to make the metal more durable also affordable, enabling a greater percentage of people to purchase something made of gold. Therefore, we can only value 9 carat on its true gold content. Multiply 16.75 by .375 and you will come up with $6.28. 18 carat contains .750 parts of gold and 22 carat contains .925, using the same method as demonstrated one can get values of all known gold alloys.

Knowing this is the most essential part of getting the best value from your gold. I should point out here, this was written for the Aussie market, Americans and other nationals can easily find the decimal factors for 10 carat, 14 carat and so on and use the same principles.

I added this today 14/03/98 12:14:51 in order not to confuse certain people. Jeweller's, Second hand dealers love to buy gold, especially when in the form of jewellery such as rings.

Manufacturing jewellers use a lot of gold as such; they rely heavily on individuals selling their old gold to them. However, they will only pay about half of the gold price if that in some cases. Cash Converter's are real parasites at taking advantage of the misfortunate individuals desperately seeking money.

They only offer a mere $3.00 per gram for 9 carat gold, the same as what some rouge jewellers do.

That is half of what the metals worth, they also forget the article had been manufactured into an object of beauty. This takes time and is labour intensive, that's why a ring containing say 3 grams of gold will appear in their windows for $45 to $65 or even more. They are not fools but think every individual who walks into their shops is.

The object you have for sale has no value to them because they do not own it and cant sell it. Reverse the situation, however and once they own it after you reluctantly parted with it for a mere pittance, it becomes theirs to sell. The big dollar signs flash in their eyes, PROFIT so the 9 or 10 dollars you got for your ring will be displayed in their widows a week later for $45 plus. Reaping a massive 350% profit for such a small initial outlay.

This is only one example but the same applies to other jewellery items. Diamonds for example they only offer $2 a point, try buying a carat diamond for that. One carat is a hundred points and wholesales at over $1000.00 plus sales tax. It is not that they are doing anything illegal, they are not.

That is business and it's been going on for centuries. During the Second World War, Nazi's did terrible things to the Jews. Many Jews fled the country, when they did, many of them carried a suitcase full of golden objects. This is because gold is an international currency more stable than paper. Inflation was such that people actually used wheelbarrows full of paper money just to buy a loaf of bread. Now you can see their logic, apart from the fact of changing currencies over. Gold on the other hand is worth money no matter where you are.

Almost everyone associated in the jewellery trade or second hand, market will buy your gold if you weaken and sell it on his or her terms. The secret is as much as you can for your goodies. Not all the rings you find will bring what you expect especially if they have been engraved inside the ring.

Rings such as this you will have to sell for scrap value. You could of course, keep these rings until you have sufficient weight to make a sale profitable. You are pitting your brains against so called experts who more likely than not have had a great more experience in dealing with the public, overcoming all objections you can throw at him. Therefore, you have to have the skills to talk and negotiate on their own level.

Therefore, it helps if you know what the gold price is on the day you intend to do business. This is in the newspapers so you should be armed with one together with a trusty little calculator. Never trust the buyer's calculator, it could be rigged in his favour, after all he's the one pumping in the information and he's more experienced at it than you.

Therefore, you have to be just as efficient with a calculator as he is. If he comes up with a price that you know is wrong, work out your own calculations and show him how it should be done.

He cannot argue with that. There is an old saying, 'if you can't baffle them with science baffle them with bulldust'. He is out to get your gold for as little as he can. Otherwise he has to buy from wholesalers at the Gold price plus sales tax; many of these guys have a Sales Tax numbers and pay tax on the finished article.

They still have to keep records even when purchasing second hand gold. If you're not asked to fill in a second hand book, you can be sure he's not going to put it through his books. However, he will still be trying to get it for next to nothing. For a start, you have the upper hand, you have the object, before you do anything at all, it should be cleaned professionally, so it looks like its just come out of the workshop and can go straight into his window.

Presentation is all-important, so if you have a little box to place your goodies on, so much the better. Many of these guys have Reps calling on them too, they present their products in a professional manner and so should you.

This puts you out of the class of the average guy off the street with scrap gold for sale. Remember as an item of jewellery your object is worth far more than gold content how high you can go above gold price depends on the item. I try to get at least 25% above gold price, a mate of mine tries to get 50% depending on the object.

So where can you get good prices for your gold?. Markets and stall traders selling second hand jewellery are a good place to start. Once you have built up a business relationship with an individual, you will find they look out for your visits. Then you have various Trading Post magazines that investors and collectors scan through for bargains. There is also your friends and word of mouth, which is perhaps the best method of dealing and making sales.

People cant resist bargains especially if the price is right and it looks good enough. Everyone loves jewellery, but not everyone can afford the prices asked in shops. Who can resist a bargain?. Gold always increases in value, if you are young do not need the money, why sell it. Better, you hang onto it as a form of superannuation.

One day, the gold price might hit the heights, of the early eighties and reach $1000 dollars an ounce. So it's not such a bad investment after all, providing you live that long to enjoy and appreciate the rise. One last tip, once you start to weaken during a deal, the buyer will read this and think he's got the upper hand and won the deal. If you have, any doubts do not weaken, you can always say, 'thanks for the offer, I'd prefer to think it over before parting with it'.

You might get a better deal up the road, never sell an item on the first offer you get. Get several before you make a decision, sometimes it pays to go back to someone a second time to see if he's prepared to match or increase his last offer. Sometimes it pays, sometimes it does not but once you part with your item, it has gone.

The decisions yours only you can make that decision, product knowledge is essential if you want to be successful. You have to be strong to get the best price for your items, if you're weak, then those guys out there will love you and take you for a sucker every time. You just have to be realistic, you're not going to get full retail price, after all the dealers got to make a profit too, if he cant see that then you just wont be able to sell. You can expect between 25% to 33.3% of valuation as a realistic price, well there you have it the rest is up to you. Happy Hunting. ©

for the guys stateside sorry guys these figures are in Aust dollars not your own, do your own calculations sorry

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D

digum smacks

Re: WHAT'S YOUR GOLD WORTH.?

i dont know about everyone else .but i already know what is worth almost at first glance. in gold weight then you have a second stage which is the diamond ring carat size.if you are a person who doesnt find gold that often i guess it would be all new to you.but when i pop up a ring i can almost guess exactly what its worth.all you water hunters know what im talking about because i know we all find alot of gold

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
White's Dual Field and Minelab Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

I may get bashed for this comment, but here's my opinion. Every gold ring you found was not yours to begin with. Yes, we all want to get the most for our new found gold, but really it shouldn't matter since it's just extra money anyways. Sometimes i send mine into the refineries and get my 98%, but if i want money right then and there, i'll take it to a couple of people i know and then, maybe 60% of the actual gold weight value. What do i care? I found it, it didn't belong to me, and most important, its extra money in my pocket. Now, if i want something in like the next couple of months, like a new detector, then i save all the gold i find and send it all in to the refinery to get the most i can out of it. Other than that, its just extra cash. Just my opinion.

Ken

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HawaiiMDer said:
I may get bashed for this comment, but here's my opinion. Every gold ring you found was not yours to begin with. Yes, we all want to get the most for our new found gold, but really it shouldn't matter since it's just extra money anyways. Sometimes i send mine into the refineries and get my 98%, but if i want money right then and there, i'll take it to a couple of people i know and then, maybe 60% of the actual gold weight value. What do i care? I found it, it didn't belong to me, and most important, its extra money in my pocket. Now, if i want something in like the next couple of months, like a new detector, then i save all the gold i find and send it all in to the refinery to get the most i can out of it. Other than that, its just extra cash. Just my opinion.

Ken

Gold rings becomes ours the moment we find then and the owner is unknown. It is ours just as much as finding a hundred dollar bill blowing down the street is ours once we pick it up.

As far as calculating the value of the gold, it is simple with a scale and the gold calculator I posted.

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Treasure_Hunter said:
HawaiiMDer said:

Ken

Gold rings becomes ours the moment we find then and the owner is unknown. It is ours just as much as finding a hundred dollar bill blowing down the street is ours once we pick it up.

As far as calculating the value of the gold, it is simple with a scale and the gold calculator I posted.

What i meant by that statement was that WE didn't pay for that piece of jewerly WE found. Therefore, by you finding it, it becomes extra money. And technically, it does not belong to you even if you did find it, until a period of time that the law says it is, depending on what State you are in. I don't know about other countries so i won't say anything about them. But, i know here in the United States of America, you are supposed to turn the jewerly in to the police, again depending on your state, and wait for a given amount of days to be declared yours. But in reality, this ain't going to happen. I'm just simply saying all jewerly found is just extra cash.

Ken

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is extra cash, and it's value to me is the same as the money I earn at work.....

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

MT Pockets said:
Good luck with that... ::)

Have you turned over every Item that you've found ? to the PoPo

Believe you me, i got into this hobby to find gold and sell it. I never once said i turned it in to the popo, only stated that's what is supposed to happen. i also said, that ain't going to happen. So, i just really think of it as extra cash that i can use for what ever i want!!!! It's awesome!!!

Ken

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HawaiiMDer said:
MT Pockets said:
Good luck with that... ::)

Have you turned over every Item that you've found ? to the PoPo

Believe you me, i got into this hobby to find gold and sell it. I never once said i turned it in to the popo, only stated that's what is supposed to happen. i also said, that ain't going to happen. So, i just really think of it as extra cash that i can use for what ever i want!!!! It's awesome!!!

Ken

:icon_thumright:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't know why one would give up 38% of the value just because it was found. Like T_H said, if I find a hundred dollar bill, I'm not going to the bank and ask them for three twenties.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GibH said:
I don't know why one would give up 38% of the value just because it was found. Like T_H said, if I find a hundred dollar bill, I'm not going to the bank and ask them for three twenties.

LOL, if your going to, come see me, I have 3 20's here for you.

HawaiiMDer

Jul 31, 2009
Kapolei, Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

GibH said:

Yeah but GibH its not the same thing. You already have the full value of the bill. You don't have to turn the thing in to get the $100.00. And yes i understand what they are saying. I'm just saying, if i feel lazy one day and don't feel like sending the stuff in and just taking it to a couple of friends for 60%, then who cares? I didn't pay for it, it didn't cost me anything, well it did in the sense my time, but monetarily it didn't. I won't do this everytime mind you, just days i don't really feel like waiting around for the money. I'm not saying what they believe is wrong, on the contrary i believe they are better off than me in the way they think trying to get as much cash as possible from their finds. I only wish i was more like that. Anyways you fellas have a great day and take care and godbless!!!!!

Aloha,

Ken

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Bottom line is it's yours to do with.........................Have fun and good luck sir... :icon_thumright:

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Maybe I missed something, but I thought the main point of the post was that you should be able to get more than melt value from most of your finds. The golden oldie made the same point on his site. If its jewelry it should be worth more than scrap gold. :coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

firstbiggestmost said:
Maybe I missed something, but I thought the main point of the post was that you should be able to get more than melt value from most of your finds. The golden oldie made the same point on his site. If its jewelry it should be worth more than scrap gold. :coffee2:

Good luck getting more then the melt value of the gold on the majority of the jewelry finds. Like a new car when you drive it off the lot there is a lot of depreciation on jewelry once it is out the door. A used ring appraised at $2000, the appraisal means nothing to me, I am only going to pay what it is worth to me, which will be a whole lot less then it is appraised at.

Total agreement with MT, the original post was long and hard to read..................

firstbiggestmost

Oct 29, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excall II, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Treasure_Hunter said:
Good luck getting more then the melt value of the gold on the majority of the jewelry finds. Like a new car when you drive it off the lot there is a lot of depreciation on jewelry once it is out the door. A used ring appraised at $2000, the appraisal means nothing to me, I am only going to pay what it is worth to me, which will be a whole lot less then it is appraised at.
Total agreement with MT, the original post was long and hard to read..................

Yeah, I agree long posts, and long responses also. But the point is still important, Many of the rings that we find are beautiful, have various stones that have retail value even if the refinery says they are valueless, and are worth more than melt. We hear great advice over and over that patience is the name of the game in this hobby. Heck, MT say's he haven’t even sold any of his finds yet, so why settle for melt? Sure I could buy a new car today and drive it off the lot and it will lose value, but if the car still runs it is worth more than scrap, and if is a really nice car your bargaining power is even higher. Just look at the used car industry or pawn jewelry as an example. They try to buy from you for less than book(scrap) value, then you look next week and all of a sudden your junk is listed for 400% book value. The post makes a good point, Your jewelry is worth more than scrap, but since it is found money it is easy to just send it off and settle for scrap. And there is nothing wrong with that!

OP
OP
A

Alan Hassell

Jun 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
pulse star 2, impulse, spectrum. goldscan, PI 3000

HI guys,
sorry if the post was too long and hard to read because the original formatting was lost and I did not edit it to put it into paragraphs for you.

My mistake. we all make mistakes and don't forget I have not promoted shallow water detecting for a hell of a long time.

What is missing is the various charts that went with this article that one could find the caratage of the gold ring look up current value of gold and on the chart find out how much so many grams were worth at that price.

When I wrote that it was designed for some individuals in Australia who did not even know how to use a calculator and how dealers were ripping off anyone trying to sell their hard earned finds.

I quote, "They try to buy from you for less than book(scrap) value, then you look next week and all of a sudden your junk is listed for 400% book value."

I was trying to point out to anyone about the dangers of using such devious evil traders (sharks) who knew the value of an item and were out for profit.

Sure a ring might only contain say 3 grams of gold but its worth more than the gold value to some and you can get a better price for your find if you can find the right buyer. Never settle for the first offer you know what your finds worth and its up to the individual to try to get as much as they can for it.

Gold is the main attraction that attracts anyone into this hobby anyway. Even so it is still not easy to find even in water as many of you know. But its the enjoyment of the hunt, being out in the fresh air, enjoying the peace and tranquility once your in the water too. good luck happy hunting.

I have modified the above article too in order to make it easier to read.

Lou from downunder

Mar 16, 2009

When I found my first rings with stones I raced off to my jeweler mates shop and got him to value them.

For the best one of them he says, in a heavy Russian accent, "this is a good ring, I would sell a ring like this for maybe $2500 to $3000 dollars".
I'm thinking "wow this is great".
So I ask him, "how much will you give me for it?"
"He says , $50".
I ask why so little.
His reply was that being second hand, the stones might have chipped edges, scratches etc.
He was only paying me for the gold content.
Unless of course I could find one of those 1 carat rings, then he would be prepared to talk turkey.
As he said, he can buy $200 worth of stones, put them in a setting and sell it for $2000. Why would he want to bother with a second hand ring? He has a point.
He told me to try ebay. Wow.

When eventually I decide to cash in, its the refinery for me.

Lou.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

firstbiggestmost said:
Treasure_Hunter said:

Yeah, I agree long posts, and long responses also. But the point is still important, Many of the rings that we find are beautiful, have various stones that have retail value even if the refinery says they are valueless, and are worth more than melt. We hear great advice over and over that patience is the name of the game in this hobby. Heck, MT say's he haven’t even sold any of his finds yet, so why settle for melt? Sure I could buy a new car today and drive it off the lot and it will lose value, but if the car still runs it is worth more than scrap, and if is a really nice car your bargaining power is even higher. Just look at the used car industry or pawn jewelry as an example. They try to buy from you for less than book(scrap) value, then you look next week and all of a sudden your junk is listed for 400% book value. The post makes a good point, Your jewelry is worth more than scrap, but since it is found money it is easy to just send it off and settle for scrap. And there is nothing wrong with that!

I have sold none of mine either, wife has taken all the diamond rings, the others are on a chain in my "treasure chest" to be sold for melt value when I need or wish to sell.

I still say good luck selling most of the rings found for more then melt value, several people here have tried, and not seen any succede. If you sit on it and and wait you may eventually find someone who will give you more then melt value, but it will be a long wait, they do not sell like hot cakes.

Now you will notice I said "most " rings, there are the rare ones found that are worth a lot more and you can sell them for more. A ring appraised at $20,000 may get you $10,000-$12,000 at an auction, but these are exceptions and not the normal rings found. A 1/4- to 3/4 carat multi-stone diamond ring isn't going to do the same thing for you....

I am also not dumb enough to sell a $4000 diamond and ruby ring for melt value.... :wink: but those finds are rare..............

So far I haven't had to worry about the $4000 rings >:( and the ones I have found haven't been a problem either, for some reason they always seem to fit one of the wife's fingers. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread