hit it hard and dig it all... :thumbsup:

Thanks, that what I plan to do...
Dwight

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Question for first time with detector at beach

Since sand it easy to dig in, use all metal and dig it all. If screen says Pull Tab, it is probably a gold ring. :thumbsup:

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300

Sandman said:
Since sand it easy to dig in, use all metal and dig it all. If screen says Pull Tab, it is probably a gold ring. :thumbsup:

if screen says " pull tab " it probably is a pull tab. :tongue3: my luck anyways..........
but yes! when i first started i dug everything just to learn the tones...and i still have to dig it all 2 years later. :tongue3:

plus i had a few good pocket knives and cheap watches by digging bad signals at the beach........so dig it all!! and good luck!

OP
OP
Dwight S

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Thanks folks... That's what I'll do, "dig it all". The NC sand is really easy to dig, so the scoop I have should make life easy. I'll let you know what I find.

Dwight

M

miser

You should have no problem working the dry sand at all. You might consider getting a one of those cheap plastic sand scoops as they work great in dry sand.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

miser said:
You should have no problem working the dry sand at all. You might consider getting a one of those cheap plastic sand scoops as they work great in dry sand.

If you like bending over and squatting for every target.....

desertfox

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites, Tesoro, Fisher and Minelab

The XLT works fine in the wet sand, too. Good luck!!!!!!!!

HH

Desertfox

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

Sandman said:
Don't U wish!! ;D

M

miser

Treasure_Hunter said:
miser said:

And if you only go the beach very rarely, investing $60 - $130 for a good long handled sand scoop doesn't make much sense either.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

miser said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
miser said:

And if you only go the beach very rarely, investing $60 - $130 for a good long handled sand scoop doesn't make much sense either.

Sir, one good find would pay for the scoop. He is only 125 miles from the beach, if it is a one time only trip, then no a good sand scoop isn't needed, but if he is going to make a few trips or go for a couple weekends, then a good sand scoop is much more desireable.

He could buy used and sell when no longer needed. Example, I bought my first Beach Brute scoop used for $125, I sold it 2.5 years later for $100 when I bought the Beach Brute II new.....

M

miser

Treasure_Hunter said:
miser said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
miser said:

Sir, one good find would pay for the scoop. He is only 125 miles from the beach, if it is a one time only trip, then no a good sand scoop isn't needed, but if he is going to make a few trips or go for a couple weekends, then a good sand scoop is much more desireable.

He could buy used and sell when no longer needed. Example, I bought my first Beach Brute scoop used for $125, I sold it 2.5 years later for $100 when I bought the Beach Brute II new.....

I will grant you that. It's too easy to spend a fortune on this hobby and since he was only going to check dry sand, a cheaper scoop would save him some significant money until he decides if he wants to make a routine 250 mile round trip to the beach and back on a fairly regular basis. If he ends up loving the beach, then by all means get the better scoop. It is essential.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A good sand scoop ...

Get a cheap hand scoop ...
Bend a piece of conduit and hose clamp it to the handle ...
There you have a cheap long handled sand scoop.

A decent long handled sand scoop can be had for less than $100.

Willee

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Seems simple enough ... go to the beach and swing the detector ... easy ... :tongue3:

But if you really want to learn something that will jump start you to success get the two books on water hunting by Clive Clynick.

Water Hunting: "Secrets of the Pro's"
Shallow Water Metal Detecting: "Lessons from the Pros"

http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/clivesgoldpagepublications.html

Everything you will need to know for success on your first trip out to the beach is between those covers.
Years of experience and knowledge.
Why learn from you mistakes when you can save yourself a LOT of time learn from his ... ??? ...
Get yourself a copy of Clive's books and read them cover to cover.
You will step onto the beach with more knowledge than some that have been doing it for years.

Personalty ... I think there should be a copy of Clive's two books on water hunting included with every water detector sold and if he ever writes a third one I will be first on the list to buy it.

Willee

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cheap for first few times --
Sporting Goods Store (Academy Down Here In Texas) BBQ Grilling Section -- Heavy Duty 1/8 Inch mesh Strainer Ladle/Scoop about $10 to $15 -- first time beach digger

Home Depot -- Garden Department -- Fiskars Fibre Garden trowell (Get Two - Pull end cap and glue in 1/2 Inch Standard White PVC pipe into it - if you use nylon 1/4 inch bolt to secure to trowell, you can sweep detector over scoop to determine if object is there. Simple handle - 45 Degree coupler and standard coupler - plug end cap into it. Make it long enough to dig in sand without bending over too far.)

Get 5 Gal Bucket and lid - make 3/4 inch plywood top the size of the lid - beach bucket for seat and to hold essentials - like beer/water (couple designs in Tools Forum). Small hole in center of lid allows sliding handles of Extended Digger and Strainer into bucket. Old coax-cable reel plywood ends work well for this. May have to bend wire Handle a bit. )

Go to Fishing Department and get meanest looking Mustad 2/ought hook you can find. Something about 2 inches long and wicked looking -- now wrap in clear plastic tape -- when someone walks up and asks, "What are you Looking For" -- Just say "Things Like This - That Would Spoil Your Day - Imagine This In Your Foot" - usually that's enough.

Find out when low-tide times are and hunt - two hours before -to- two hours after - for best water line coverage. It goes without saying -- if tourists are gone for the day, everything you find goes home -- otherwise everything someone sees you pick up will suddenly become "Their Lost Item". So keep a small trash pouch clipped onto your belt, available for readily dumping into their hands - "You Won't Mind Hiking 1/2 Mile Down Beach To Dump This In The Trash Barrel, Will You? Thanks For Your Interest and Have A Nice Day." Any coins, trinkets, or rings go into special pouch in bucket or into your pocket, immediately - as in Ring goes in, Beer comes out - only if empty can for practice gulps, in case someone is watching. Want to gather a crowd screaming "Its Mine", just yell out to your hunting buddies, "Hey, Look At This Four Diamond Ring I Just Found".

Use Headphones - Really helps. And yes, make it as simple as possible to Dig Everything.
If you want to wade in the water, as in up to your neck, "Wear A Life Vest and Strobe", minmum and cheap canvas boat shoes to keep from really stepping on Jagged Metal or Fish-hooks. Too many stories of people heading out to sea after stepping into hole over their head, being caught off-guard by rip tide, or soft-sand / quick-sand spots on beach/shallow-water.

Read the posts on this - Beach and Shallow Water Forum - Incredible amount of information here, and links.
:coffee2:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

miser said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
miser said:
Treasure_Hunter said:
miser said:

I will grant you that. It's too easy to spend a fortune on this hobby and since he was only going to check dry sand, a cheaper scoop would save him some significant money until he decides if he wants to make a routine 250 mile round trip to the beach and back on a fairly regular basis. If he ends up loving the beach, then by all means get the better scoop. It is essential.

:icon_thumright:

nuggetshooter

May 9, 2004
Sacramento, CA
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i, Minelab GPX 4000, Gold Bug 2, Troy Shadow X2, Fisher M-Scope FX-3, Fisher 1220X PRO, Fisher CZ-21, Garrett Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you set your XLT correctly, it will work fine in the wet sand at the ocean. I live in CA and used the following info/changes on my XLT and in TX and it worked fine.

In wet salt sand, first make sure are in your beach program -- then,

1) Edit out everything below about -20 (If you still get iron false signals, then begin editing out VDI numbers closer to zero.)

2) Edit out the #'s 00 to about 03, as those are your wet salt VDIs

3) Edit out + 95, as that is the hot rock VDI

As far as editing out VDIs 00 through 03 or 4, you run the risk of missing a very small platinum earring or something else that might go that low (or targets that bounce around in those lower numbers). You may also see targets that take periodic bounces into that range, that you would prefer did not, because you stand the chance of not hearing such a target. So you might think about just getting rid of those numbers and then just expect some mild signal bounce. Especially in the surf area where the wet black sand is on the move - that black sand will most likely cause some signal instability. After a while, you will learn to read this signal instability, and you will ignore it. If the instability drives you crazy - edit the these numbers out and you should eliminate the problem. It is doubtful you will miss much, if anything, by getting rid of these VDI numbers.

Setting the sensitivity in the 45 to 50 range is a good place to start. You will not miss much even with the sensitivity set low. And consider turning your preamp gain off or if you turn it on, set it at the lowest or close to the lowest setting. If you still experience signal instability, such as half signals that do not repeat on the back swing, try turning on low transmit. Any time you change any setting, be sure to ground balance the XLT again.

You will still get some false signals because the XLT is a single frequency detector. You can try keeping your coil out of the water, or turning sens down to lowest numbers or just hunt the wet sand and stay out of the shallow moving water surf. I used this program a lot in Santa Cruz, CA and at Sea Ranch, CA and it served me well.

Good luck.

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

WishfulThinker said:
Go to Fishing Department and get meanest looking Mustad 2/ought hook you can find. Something about 2 inches long and wicked looking -- now wrap in clear plastic tape -- when someone walks up and asks, "What are you Looking For" -- Just say "Things Like This - That Would Spoil Your Day - Imagine This In Your Foot" - usually that's enough.

What a really great idea to promote good will ... no really ... showing someone a nasty fish hook will earn their gratitude!
Who would want such a thing in the bottom of their foot.

Willee

OP
OP
Dwight S

Dwight S

Apr 26, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro & White's TDI & Tesoro Compass uMax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Well... got out there early Saturday morning. Started in the wet sand, found nothing. Met a gentleman who lives in the area and hits this beach a couple of times a week, said he had pulled a few wedding bands earlier this year.

Still learning the in-and-outs of the XLT, I've never tried beach hunting before although when I bought the detector a few years ago, the beach was going to be a key location for me... Then came love, marriage and child along with extended family illnesses... needless to say, haven't had chance to beach hunt until now.

It took a little while to learn to keep the coil above the sand, any bumping the coil on sand would give a deep signal that couldn't be located afterwards...

Dug probably 30 bottle caps and pulltabs. Man it made my heart skip whenever I'd hit a pulltab and it gave a solid signal and read "ring & 5-cent", scoop, sift and see the remains of a pulltab...
Speaking of scoops, I have one I purchased a number of years ago before I got side-tracked with marriage and child. It is a two-piece with a long handle. the scoop itself is about the size of a quart jar with the bottom half a wire mesh. Scoop sand and shake to sift, anything of any size will stay in scoop. I also always check the siftings to make sure I'm not missing something small like a earring.

I only "saved" 3 pennies. ;D in a little over an hour. With knowing that this beach is heavily hunted, and having a 5 year-old boy wanting daddy to play with him in the surf, I gave up and decided to try again next time. Spending time at the beach with an excited child is far more important than any loose change or ring that could be found... :icon_thumright:

I'll post any good finds in the future.
Thanks for all your replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread