Scuba Diving in 6-9 feet of Caribbean H2O

Overkill Overkill

Feb 18, 2010
I appreciate Mr. Hassell's posts on the forum. It does seem that, due to tides and currents, etc., a ring doesn't necessarily lay directly below from where it fell. Assuming this is true, then a ring belonging to a 5'10" man swimming in 5'7" water may end up under the sand anywhere within, say, a 12 foot radius of where his hand was when the ring came off. Assuming this is not totally false, doesn't it make sense to not only metal detect in the shallow side of where the man was (i.e., metal detect from where he was and all the way into shore) BUT ALSO ON THE OTHER (FAR OR DEEP) SIDE OF WHERE HE WAS? Of course, perhaps 96% of us are not equipped to dive down and dig in water 1 inch to 4 feet over our heads. But that fact does not nullify that the gold is still there, does it not?

Do you think there are folks out there silently diving the 6'- 15' depths of, say, Nassau and the Turks and Caicos Islands, gleaning all the jewelry that underwater detectorists who remain on their feet (and don't dive) miss?

Indeed, in his book, Captain Berg states that "If you are a certified scuba diver you have an advantage over most other metal detector hunters. You can get to many areas that are just too deep for even the tallest water hunter."

I'd like to hear from those who have done both (underwater metal detecting and SCUBA underwater metal detecting), and compare the advantages/disadvantages. It really seems relatively inexpensive (~$400) and quick (about two weekends) to get SCUBA certified.

Upvote 0

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Assuming this is true, then a ring belonging to a 5'10" man swimming in 5'7" water may end up under the sand anywhere within, say, a 12 foot radius of where his hand was when the ring came off.

Don't forget to account for his waist measurement and whether or not he has a full head of hair.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a hooka and you do not need to get certified. No hassels of getting your tanks refill....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Do you think there are folks out there silently diving the 6'- 15' depths of, say, Nassau and the Turks and Caicos Islands, gleaning all the jewelry that underwater detectorists who remain on their feet (and don't dive) miss?"

Why just in those places? If you don't get your coil over it you didn't miss it. An you have to take into account fish will hit anything shiny that is falling in the water column. I once cleaned a fish that had a wedding band in it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your assumption is wrong again........Where did you read, and or how did you come up with the 12 foot radius. In fresh water, this may be true but in salt water there are currents, swells and wave action. I have hunted for rings lost by people right by me, pattern hunting the area around them and found no sign of the ring.

I recovered a ring for a couple that was at least a hundred yards from where they told me their 10 year old son lost it in front of their hotel, and they were 100% sure where he was when he lost it as they were in front of their hotel when the son came out of the water telling his parents he had lost his Christmas ring. There was no doubt it was the same ring I found since it had the inscription inside of it "To Travis Love Mom 12.25.2008". I found the ring 4 hours after giving up the initial search and moving down the beach hunting, finding it on 1.1.2009 when I went hunting New Years Day...................

D

digum smacks

i see you didnt take into account low tide.if the 5'10" man swimming in 5'7" water at high tide.at low tide ring could easily be retrieved.with a good tide the water could be 5'1" or less.dont forget where people are is where they lose things.the majority of people stay between waist to chest deep

Willee

May 6, 2009
Corpus Christi, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 ... Fisher CZ-70 ... Deus 2 ... Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
mlayers said:
Buy a hooka and you do not need to get certified. No hassels of getting your tanks refill....Matt

Yeah ... all that stuff you got to learn to get certified is just ... overkill!
Who needs to know all that information that just might save your life.

In your case I recommend you just get a hooka system and do it.
I know there will be years of posting and evaluating systems before you actually buy one.
And by then something else will come along to capture your attention.

UNCLENICK

Dec 8, 2009
NorCal Foothills
Allright everyone take a deep breath...the guy is just asking no need to jump down anyones throat...Buy a hookah...why Scuba in less than 30 feet of water? Sure your hooked up to a hose, but that shallow of water you dont need to be absolutly "free" with a scuba setup. HH, Safe diving,

Nick

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
Sandman said:
"Do you think there are folks out there silently diving the 6'- 15' depths of, say, Nassau and the Turks and Caicos Islands, gleaning all the jewelry that underwater detectorists who remain on their feet (and don't dive) miss?"

Why just in those places? If you don't get your coil over it you didn't miss it. An you have to take into account fish will hit anything shiny that is falling in the water column. I once cleaned a fish that had a wedding band in it.

Lol. Thats a bit hard to swallow

KJ$IPW

Dec 6, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III, Whites 4900dl pro plus
I have done some shallow water SCUBA(hookah would have been great but didn't have one), in a local lake, the good thing about tanks, is that they last a good while in shallow water. As for rings, or anything people have lost, they generally don't know where they lost it, they only know when they realized it was lost. I have found rings 30' to 40' from where someone thinks they lost it, remember things don't sink straight down
HH
Steve :icon_pirat:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread