Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I had to send the Excal in for repair..... Couldnt be at a WORSE time... So now I only have the MXT with the 6x10 DD coil..
I am going to try weighting the coil down with a piece of bike inner tube filled with wet sand and tie-strapped to the shaft just above the coil..
I should then at least be able to hit knee deep and shallower if the waves are small... I am so bummed, I hope that Minelab gets right on it.. I talked to two ML managers yesterday, and they said they hired two extra repair people, so it could possibly be done within two weeks of them receiving it (they should get it today)...

Going to miss a big window of the gold season...

Upvote 0

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry, not hearing many good things coming from the minelab camp lately. I would be sending them flowers and chocolates. Basically, be on them like a crher is to a nice teller. ;D ;D

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer I hear ya.. my DF is in the shop, and just have the dfx. I sure hope its back by the weekend of the 4th... wife and I our headin to the condo for our anniversary for a few days...

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
I had to send my excalibur II back in for repairs for the fourth time just two weeks ago.

Sure glad I bought the extended warranty on it . . . and glad that I have a Whites Beachhunter 300 to use while the Excalibur spends another 60 days in the repair cycle.

Bill

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silversurfer,

How do you use the MXT in salt water? Everytime I get my MXT with 6x10dd coil in 6" or more of water it screams like he....

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
That is why I have 3 of them (I used to be a boy scout-Be Prepared)

Attachments

• smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 263
  • smiley_faces.jpg
    smiley_faces.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 267
OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JimDon said:
Silversurfer,

How do you use the MXT in salt water? Everytime I get my MXT with 6x10dd coil in 6" or more of water it screams like he....
If I switch mine to "Salt" mode, I can still leave the Threshold at 10 with no problems... You ARE switching it to salt mode, right?
If you are, it might just be that your machine is a bit more particular, or it could be that the beach you are hunting has more mineralization... Florida beaches are very low in mineralization...
Today I am going to get the bike innertube ready to go hunt in the water.... The 12" coil stayed on the bottom pretty good, but the darn 6 X 10 floats like a cork, so I need some weight to hold it down... I think the wet-sand filled tube will do nicely..

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
erikk said:
That is why I have 3 of them (I used to be a boy scout-Be Prepared)
HaHa, My motto is "two is one and one is none."

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am running it in salt mode. The beaches are in North Carolina around the southern coast. I guess it is just the mineralization. Thanks!

OP
OP
Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I weighted down my shaft right near the coil with the sand-filled bike tube, and found that if I went over about a foot deep in the water, it would overload big time... I have no idea why, but fearing a small pin hole or similar in the coil wire somewhere, got out of the water... The last thing I need now is to have both machines in the shop for repair.... I guess I should have tried it with the threshold turned down some, as I had it on 10 while doing it.. Maybe if I had set it to 6 or so it wouldnt have happened. I sure miss my Excal...

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're braver than I am. The way my luck runs, I'd drop my MXT if I was walking over a mud puddle.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread