off topic question

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on your internet service, most ISP's have free virus protection i have comcast broadband and norton is free!!! hope this helps and you may save some money to boot!! HH Chug

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
Most are worthless with the viruses that are out there. My son put Malwarebytes Anti-Malware on mine and I find it to be great. Mind you he is a geek and works/builds/repairs, and sleeps with computers, soooooooo, where he got it, I have no idea! I'll ask him when he gets home, but meanwhile just google it and let me know what you find. All I have to do is click on it once in awhile and it finds files with spyware attatched to it as well, and once it cleans it up my computer runs like a new tuned car....hope this might have helped. Paul

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've got AVAST. It's free but needs to be renewed yearly. It works great.

jj

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Avast or AVG both free and work... also download advanced system care for free to and you won't believe how much crap it cleans out, and will run faster to boot...

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Avast AND Malwarebytes together!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using Avast Antivirus for about 4 or 5 years now, and I've yet to have a virus.
I've had plenty of attempts... but Avast locks down that individual connection any time a virus tries to hit my system.
Here's the download link for it,
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free...0019223.html?part=dl-85737&subj=dl&tag=button

Another program I use is called Ad-Aware Anti-Malware, which is another free program that you can install and let run on your system.
The only downside is that you have to manually click the update button in order to update it, whereas Avast updates automatically.
Here's the download link,
http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-Free-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=mncol

Bran <><

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bran, I think we talked about Avast before. Did you update to the latest version with the female voice? I think she sounds like the dingy office assistant on Becker, :D

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GopherDaGold said:
Bran, I think we talked about Avast before. Did you update to the latest version with the female voice? I think she sounds like the dingy office assistant on Becker, :D

Yep and I agree!!! :laughing7:
Still makes me feel better hearing that it's constantly updating every day...

Bran <><

D

digum smacks

i have vista and tried them all. the best for vista is norton 360

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4
I've been a computer tech for over 10yrs now, the best combination I have found for FREE are the following three:

AVG FREE antivirus
MalWareBytes FREE
Spybot Search and Destroy FREE

all can be downloaded for free through a quick google search. I recommend running a manual scan every 2-3 weeks to keep your pc free of all kinds of nasties!

djm of PA

Jun 11, 2010
Carsonville, PA
Detector(s) used
MineLab E-Trac and White's Classic 4

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend keeping it simple i.e. one reasonably good product that provides broad coverage, is updated regularly, and is very easy to use. The one from Microsoft is basically set and forget:

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

Installing too many products could add more overhead to a system, not to mention additional learning curves for a casual user. These sorts of products tend to have deep hooks into the O/S in order to do their work, so I would prefer not to have many running in the background. Plus I am not a fan of having to remember to manually run them on demand. I am actually using the Microsoft product on one of my machines.

Other highly rated free antivirus options to consider are Avira and Avast.

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was kicked around significantly on the 'other' forum with much the same advice. AVG or AVAST...but someone I know and trust thinks the free one from Microsoft works best. I have used AVAST for many years and probably do some pretty outlandish surfing. Never have I had a virus. jim

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
grumpyolman said:
I have used AVAST for many years and probably do some pretty outlandish surfing. Never have I had a virus. jim

Heh, me too... :icon_pirat:
I'd try that M$ program, except I don't trust M$... so I'll just stick with what I know. :wink:
I used AVG for years and it worked fine for me until there was a conflict with a Stardock program that I used frequently.
That's when I switched over to Avast.

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread