From excitement to shame

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
I got out early this morning to hit low tide. I was working in water about waist deep and had covered about 4 or 5 hundred yards. Nothing great, junk, lead weights and a few dollars in coins when I got an odd signal. I use a PI and most everything sounds the same but this signal was different. I dug with the scoop, target is still there. I dug again same. This went on for a while and finally after the last scoop the signal was gone so i pull up the scoop to shake it out and right on top is a large round copper container of some sort. It was pretty crusty and I could tell there was something inside. I decided to head for shore so when I opened it nothing fell in the water. As I headed in I noticed by this time I had a crowd. As I got in to the beach, two couples come to see what I found. I showed them and proceeded to try to open my treasure. I twisted and pulled but it was really stuck. I even let one of the guys on the beach give it a try with no luck. I beat it of the scoop a few times and gave it one last rip. It was then that I realized my treasure was actually and ashtray. A nice pile of sludge that consisted of saltwater and old broken down cigs sprayed all over my face. I quit smoking about 10 years ago and really hate the smell now, I was pretty ticked off. I decided right there to call it a day before anything worse happend. So if you didn't find any gold today, don't feel bad, you could have had a day like mine
;D
H/H

Ryan

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you found something cool to make the heart skip a beat. :thumbsup:

I was detecting with a friend at a local park and came upon a small pond with a metal fence post out in the middle with a can fastened to it. We decided that it was for people to make a wish and toss coins to the can. I went back to the car for my waders and went out to checkout the coin can. Reaching in the can only produced a small very dead decomposed rodent that smelled to high heaven. No matter what I did it took a long time to get that stink off my hand and worse there where no coins in the can nor near it. All the way home I kept asking my buddy if he wanted to smell my hand........... :laughing7:

OD_hunt

Aug 16, 2009
South Africa
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000
Thanks for the laugh sandman :laughing9: I have not been detecting long enough for anything too embarrassing, but I'm sure my day will come.
HH OD

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
Hey Ryan,
I've had a few weird finds too.
At least you got out and hunted. I hunted a few times this week and got no gold either.
Have a good one.
Alec

UNCLENICK

Dec 8, 2009
NorCal Foothills
I'm laughing very hard right now...thankyou for posting. I'm sorry but the way you tell it is sooo funny. It sucks to not find anything that you wanted, then to have that happen when you opened it. Also Sandman god I was rolling when I read your reply, thank you guys for posting. Ha ha ha ha ha!!

Nick

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dennis, I am sooooooooo glad you did that.. it makes me feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one who does dumb stuff like that... LOL

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Good news. That would have been uncomfprtable. Kind of a strange way to dispose of cigaret ash though. Maybe it was someones last smoke before quitting.

-FH

OP
OP
U

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
I think it was just something they took to the beach with them to collect their butts in. I've seen similar ones in peoples cars before. Of course none of that was in my mind at the time. I was thinking its full of coins or someone put their jewelry in there while they went swimming and lost it or something along those lines. Sadly mistaken!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread