1st time out with Excal II

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Made it to the beach this morning the new Excal, I think we're going to get along good LOL. Definitely a change from the DFX, but it doesn't seem as intimidating as some people have made it sound. Found a little clad and a costume jewelry bracelet. Worked the water from ankle to knee deep. I did notice it seemed to pickup the waves as they crossed the cord for the coil so I called and talked to a tech at Kellyco and she told me not to run it on auto sensitivity while in the water, she said to try running it between 6 and 9 so I'll try that in the morning when I go back. Pinpointing took some getting used to, but I started getting the hang of it after a while. It does seem to have good depth. Over all I'm glad I made the decision to get it.

I did notice that I have to turn the threshold knob on almost 3/4 of the way before hearing any threshold at all, after that it will get plenty loud just seems odd that you would need to turn it up that much before getting any sound at all. I can hear the initial "pop" when
I first turn the knob on which is the machine coming on. Volume was up almost to full, but that should just be for target if I'm not mistaken. Batteries were charged for well over the recommended time. Seems like I remember seeing another guy say this same thing, anyone have any thoughts on it?

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1st time out with Excal 1000

Those that talk about the Excal being hard to learn are trying to memorizing the tones. Since most iron is ignored, dig all the rest. The Auto is set more sensitive on the Excal II I believe but I have no trouble on Auto. The Pinpointing doesn't really have to be used at all. When I get a signal I wiggle the coil while pulling it back. When the sound disappears, I then slide the coil forward some and as soon as I hear it again the target is just off the front edge. Try it with a coin on the surface with out using the pinpoint mode.

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:

Sandman - I'll give the pinpointing trick a try, sounds pretty easy. Have you ever heard of anyone having the issue with the threshold volume I mentioned?

Captain Loosechange

Nov 24, 2007
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett SeaHunter Mark II, Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have had an Excal II since Feb. 09, bought it brand new and mine does the exact same thing that you are describing with the threshold, has done it since day one and I have found Gold, Silver and many rings with it. It is fine, just the way it should be. :wink: Congrats on it, you will love it. You need to get some of the Clyde James Clynick books on hunting with it and look up "reverse hunting" with it, it will get you more depth as you will miss some targets using in discriminate only. HH

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:

Captain - Thanks for the reply. It seemed like it was working good, I just wasn't sure if it would effect anything. Doesn't sound like it does so that's good. I have to ask, what in the heck is reverse hunting? If it's too detailed to explain I understand.

Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman is righ on on the pinpointing. The only time I switch to pinpoint is when I want to hunt in all metal. You can pinpoint as Sandman says by backing the coil off till singal disappears then slide coil forward, to the toe of the coil. It works the same way in reverse, pinpointing using hte heel of the coil..

Reverse hunting is hunting in the all metal mode, and when you get a target signal, switch to discrimination to see if it nulls out. You go deeper in all metal mode, and may see targets you will not see in discriminate......

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:

Treasure Hunter - Thanks for the reply, I'm going back in the morning so I will give the reverse hunting a try.

rsc

Mar 6, 2005
Noth of Houston

If you have an Excal 1000, not an Excal II, you may want to go to Harbor Freight and buy a cheap volt meter. That way you know how long to charge the battery, and not burn it up. Try to get as close to 14 volts as possible. You do not want to get to the beach and have power problems.
HH Gayle

OP
OP
T

TexasRT

Aug 15, 2008
Dickinson, TX
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:

I stand corrected, it is the Excal II w/10" coil. Guess I was so excited about getting it I misspoke about it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread