Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its prolly 14k plate over sterling hard to tell without pics

Da Sand Crab

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2009
Far, Far Away
More than likely I'd say its the genuine article. It was probably white gold at one time and the rodium plating has worn off on most of the surface but the white (silver) that you see is all thats left. Give it the magnet test, better yet, find a good goldsmith or a good reputable jeweler who you can trust to give you professional appraisal information on your finds. You'll need it in this hobby. Sadly, alot of jewelers cannot be trusted because they really don't know thier business that well or they will want to rip you off. Often already knowing what I have, I will take a piece into a jewelry shop just to see what they will say about it, lots of them don't have clue, especially if its an un-marked piece. :-\

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why would white gold be plated wth rhodium?if it was gold woulndt they just use yellow gold in 14k instead of plating white 14k?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White gold used to be made with nickel, now it is made by plating gold with rodium...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
White gold used to be made with nickel, now it is made by plating gold with rodium...
This is right. White gold used to be made by combining it with nickel to make it harder. Rose gold is made by combining it with copper for hardness also but it gives it a faint copper color. As for the stamp it could be stamped wrong or poured in a mold with the "stamp" right in the mold to save time.

It is best to test all items yourself instead of asking a jeweler as they will tell you it is a good fake but offer to buy it from you for pennies. An appraisal costs money and they don't do these for free unless you really know the jeweler.

goldfever

Nov 6, 2009
I have found gold rings that have an area of discoloration where the jewler sized the ring and welded it back together.

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
It is best to test all items yourself instead of asking a jeweler as they will tell you it is a good fake but offer to buy it from you for pennies. An appraisal costs money and they don't do these for free unless you really know the jeweler.

I second the motion. Get an acid test kit. A starter kit can be purchased on the cheap, they are fairly easy to use, and allow you to build skill in becoming proficient in identifying gold, which for a beach hunter is a nice bonus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread