SonnyFl

Mar 9, 2007
Hudson Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clearwater Bch is huntable at night. Most locals cover it when the sun goes down. I'm sure there's characters that roam around so's be aware. I hear it's safe. :icon_scratch:

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Clearwater Beach

Right now its more like brown-water. Lots of sand and lots of hunters.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was warned by one of the officers to be careful of the homeless dude with a metal detector down there... the officer said he can get aggressive sometimes. :dontknow: A good "digging tool" and a bright headlamp should keep you safe... though I'd always suggest hunting with a partner at night. You can detect most all of the beaches after dark here though.

Bran <><

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you hunt in water in CWB just remember a 9 foot Great white shark was caught 10 mile south of there 3 weeks ago. If you in the water in the Gulf of mexico at night you got to be NUTS. hunting in the Gulf at night is vary TABO. don't do it . Night time is the time of the SHARK !!!!! Ron Lord ,Naples Fla. :icon_pirat:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
If you hunt in water in CWB just remember a 9 foot Great white shark was caught 10 mile south of there 3 weeks ago. If you in the water in the Gulf of mexico at night you got to be NUTS. hunting in the Gulf at night is vary TABO. don't do it . Night time is the time of the SHARK !!!!! Ron Lord ,Naples Fla. :icon_pirat:

Wow... interesting?! I had no idea they were even in our waters...
Do you have the link where you read about that report? I'm trying to find it but only found some articles from 2007.

Thanks!

Bran <><

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tampa bay especially where Alafia river emptys into the bay is a virtual feeding, breeding ground and nursery for sharks. About a dozen shark species frequent Tampa Bay and include hammerheads, bonnetheads, nurse sharks, blacktips, lemon sharks and bull sharks to name just a few, but there are others including white sharks. They are gettting there from open waters and all beaches on the gulf side including Clearwater are on the "roads"......

Wading at dawn or dusk in shallow waters can be dangerous, although I have done it as well a few times, I usually try not to....................

http://www.baysoundings.com/fall04/predators.html

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
godisnum1 said:
I was warned by one of the officers to be careful of the homeless dude with a metal detector down there... the officer said he can get aggressive sometimes. :dontknow: A good "digging tool" and a bright headlamp should keep you safe... though I'd always suggest hunting with a partner at night. You can detect most all of the beaches after dark here though.

Bran <><

i was hunting there with a friend at night not too long ago and I think he ran into this guy.....he said the guy kept yelling " i`ll kil you , i`ll kill you- i see you hunting my beach"

this was about 11-12pm and was on the south end near the rocks... it is a bit darker on that end at night when there is no moon..
i didn`t see him...but like most nights i don`t see anyone until they get pretty close to you....one minute you think you`re alone then people walk by me...

only problem i`ve had were the drunks asking questions and getting real close like they might step on your detector and they can get quite aggravated when you don`t answer right or stay and chat with them.

well with that said, good luck!

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well, you can carry concealed. :headbang:

The sharks are everywhere, but the stingrays are the ones that will get ya. right at the surfline while you're thinking of the goodies.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><

I know that guy. He's usually just looking for beer money-most of the time he's in lock-up anyway. North beach (frenchies/Palm area) is a haven for the homeless, since a bunch sleep in the park across the street.

gold-digger

Jul 4, 2006
Gulf Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excals & Quattro
Primary Interest:
Right now, the most prominent problem is that school is out, and there so many kids out late-partying and so on.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ron lord said:
Sorry, but dont believe that Ron.... Not you, but your source.. GW Sharks are a "cool water" shark, and do not like the hot water we have this time of year... Could be one was caught offshore in the deeper, cooler water, but not in the hot water we now have in waist deep water.. I know they are around in the Winter, when the water cools way down (Saw one ONCE, diving, but only about 8 ft or so)
Also, I had an interesting thing happen last time at Miami... Had a reef shark (pretty sure it wasnt a Bull) come swimming right b me in waist deep water, and when it got close, it suddenly veered off and took off liike it was spooked... I have a suspicion it did not like the powerful electric field that the machine puts off... I am a diver, and people wear what is called a "Shark Shield" that works by surrounding the diver with a strong electrical field..
Also, with almost all shark attacks happening in around knee deep water, why is there not one incident of an MD'er getting hit?? Plenty of swimmers and fisherman, but not one MD'er... Makes me think my theory may be correct.. Many MD'er out at night, in just the right depth of water, and we all know how many sharks we have and that they mostly hunt at night...
Anyway, Bull Sharks are the only ones I have ever had problems with diving, and they worry me.. But hopefully, my theory is correct and we will NEVER hear of an MD'er being taken down...

HH

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
godisnum1 said:

Bran <><
I just about fell off my chair when I read that.... LMAO! First thing came to my mind was wondering if this "Homeless MD'er" is Snooksions buddy that hunts full time and lives in his van.... I will have to tell Snooksion about this so he can check... "Homeless Metal Detector".... Man, that is just plain funny!!!

leefields

Feb 25, 2008
Lake Hamilton Florida 33851
Detector(s) used
Excall 2 w/Anderson shaft ...
Minelab CTX 3030 ...
Minelab GT
i saw a couple there a few weeks ago....they had a van parked across from mcD's in the parking lot...both looked like serious hunters...man and woman....excalls if i remember right
said they had hunted all day and only a handfull of change and some small ear ring or something...white van and i think a bed in back...

USMCLion

Feb 15, 2008
I hunt almost exclusively at night. I've never had any problems. I guess if its my time its just my time.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a refresher for those who don't remember what they look like.... ;D

800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_.jpg

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm from the West Coast and lived in Northern California for a few years... I was introduced to Free Diving by Randy Fry, who was taken by a great white in 2004.... I should say that in all my time diving there, I never saw one.... But you never do. Randy hopefully didnt even see it coming, I pray he didnt.. I cant imagine that fleeting unimaginable fear you would have if you saw it just before it bit you in two..

I have had 3 Bull Sharks mess with me while spearfishing, strange thing is, only one while freediving.. Always in deep water on tanks, with fish in tow... BUT... I have had several circle me in the Tampa Bay area and one took two good pokes before it would swim off... They are NASTY looking beasts, where I find all other sharks beautiful and stunning in the water, even Hammer Heads...
It would be nice to have stats as to how many MD'ers have hunted at night, or dusk, or even (the worst attacks occur then) in murky water, and havent been hit, and compare that to how many fisherman have been in the same scenarios, and been hit.. I know the numbers arent even close, but those with great statistics skills could still make a correlation, and again, I have a feeling that the strong electrical field that surrounds us could be a great deterrent... Think about the distance you must keep from another MD'er just to avoid that horrible static.. Usually a good 15 ft...
Man oh man, how I can go on.. Sorry folks, but it is an interesting topic..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions