Has this been done B4?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excal/pirate said:
S.S.Tupperware said:
I don't really show finds, but a few people I know will get to see them. As far as new people?... yes I see many new faces, but usually only once. There are a few regulars I see almost every time we head out to the condo. I'm not worried there's probably 20 miles of drivable beach and even a thousand people can't hit it all. Hell even with my DF I can follow my steps back and still find targets I missed. I think a get together would be cool for us Central Fl. guys, but more to BS and drink some barley pop, and share ideas/ experiences. :thumbsup:
i agree but when we start showing off 4ounce gold neckless im not sayin to not post just dont show stuff with a high dollar

Most people showing off the high dollar items are not saying where they were found. Finding 4 ozs of gold chains somewhere in Florida is like finding 4 ozs of gold somewhere in Colorado. Everyone knows the potential is there, but most will not put in the time, or leg work to look for it.

Beach detecting is NOT EASY, it is a lot of work, anyone who thinks they can buy a detector and just walk down the beach picking up gold is going to be in for a big surprise.....

I found a nice ladies 14k gold ring with sapphires and small diamonds last week. Wife loves it and I will post a picture, I just haven't got around to it yet...

Montauk3

Nov 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2 \ Sovereign GT BeachHunter ID
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first exposure to detecting was seeing a young kid in the schoolyard across the street from my home. I asked him what he was doing, he said looking for coins.

I was amazed that things could be found that were out of sight. I did some research (before computers) and purchased my first detector from a guy that sold them out of his house. My first detector was the Whites 5000D.

The owners manual was the only "teacher" that I had. I did not have the internet to help me. I did not have friends or anyone else to help me. I learned by doing!

Was I any good at my new found hobby? Quite frankly I was like the blind man trying to describe an elephant.

BUT, I was hooked. I kept at it, and by much trial and error, I began to learn. I read, I listened. I guessed. Then I read some more.

When I moved to Florida, I realized that I did not know as much as I thought I knew. I joined TNET and did a lot of reading. Being the shy type, I was basically a lurker.

Do I ever need help with questions on my mind? You betcha. I have talked with many of the experienced GnG’s that I meet at the beach and many times we exchange tips and ideas. We in essence have paid our dues.

I guess the bottom line with me is that I don’t have any respect for folks that want to be held by the hand and to be spoon fed without any real effort on their own part. This also applied to the people that I have worked with in the work force.

I am NOT talking about the young folk. They need all the help they can get just learning about life.

I also don’t appreciate being someone trying to use me as a school project.
(Do we all know whom I’m referring to?) Or to try to manipulate me.

End of rant…. For now.

P.S.
Please do not chastise me for not being a sob sister and I won’t tell you what I think of you.

Carry on.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montauk3 said:
My first exposure to detecting was seeing a young kid in the schoolyard across the street from my home. I asked him what he was doing, he said looking for coins.

I was amazed that things could be found that were out of sight. I did some research (before computers) and purchased my first detector from a guy that sold them out of his house. My first detector was the Whites 5000D.

The owners manual was the only "teacher" that I had. I did not have the internet to help me. I did not have friends or anyone else to help me. I learned by doing!

Was I any good at my new found hobby? Quite frankly I was like the blind man trying to describe an elephant.

BUT, I was hooked. I kept at it, and by much trial and error, I began to learn. I read, I listened. I guessed. Then I read some more.

When I moved to Florida, I realized that I did not know as much as I thought I knew. I joined TNET and did a lot of reading. Being the shy type, I was basically a lurker.

Do I ever need help with questions on my mind? You betcha. I have talked with many of the experienced GnG’s that I meet at the beach and many times we exchange tips and ideas. We in essence have paid our dues.

I guess the bottom line with me is that I don’t have any respect for folks that want to be held by the hand and to be spoon fed without any real effort on their own part. This also applied to the people that I have worked with in the work force.

I am NOT talking about the young folk. They need all the help they can get just learning about life.

I also don’t appreciate being someone trying to use me as a school project.
(Do we all know whom I’m referring to?) Or to try to manipulate me.

End of rant…. For now.

P.S.
Please do not chastise me for not being a sob sister and I won’t tell you what I think of you.

Carry on.

LOL....... :laughing9: :icon_thumright: I never mind helping someone, but some don't even want to listen to what you tell them, or read where you send them for the answers, instead they have the attitude of "why should I spend my time reading something, when you can just answer each one of my questions as I ask them one at a time here".....

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Was one in Myrtle beach a few years back I was not able to make it but heard it was a lot of fun.
If you are afraid of competition on your local beach then you are in the wrong hobby. If you detect to make money you are in the wrong hobby. Do it because it is fun. Me and three buddies are headed to the beach in the morning I am letting them stay for free in our condo. Taking my own competition with me to hunt the beach. It is about hanging out with buddies having a good time if I find some gold good if I don't it will still be fun. If they all three find some gold and I don't I will be happy for them. Don't be greedy there is enough treasure out there to keep us busy for years. The more folks we have the better voice we will have to keep our hobby alive. Keep being greedy and hateful to other hunters your beach is the next on the list to have detecting banned.

Jason

ziphius

Oct 17, 2007
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab E-Trac, Whites Surf PI Dual Field
Back to basics guys... have fun out there... and spend more time with your kids than your detector. Someone introduced us to the hobby years ago and we instantly became 'competition' to them. If the beach gold is that 'financially important' to you, we all know that it's more cost effective on an hourly basis to get a part-time job instead of looking for gold (a few rare folks have the right spots and time to make some serious $$$ finding beach gold). If you've crossed that threshold where the thought of competition annoys you that much, then it's no longer a hobby. The newbie has as much right to the gold as the old-timer if he or she gets a coil over it. I can see being secretive about relic-hunting, where the targets are not replenished, or obscure private beach sites, but the big public beaches get replenished and seriously pounded by all of us.

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
Piercesdad said:
A Beach/Shallow water convention?

I'm talking large scale with vendors, demonstrations, break-out classes, q&a with manufacturers etc.

Any interest in doing one next spring?

Humm!! By the comments in this thread maybe it should be by invitation only. ;D

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Jason in TN said:
Was one in Myrtle beach a few years back I was not able to make it but heard it was a lot of fun.
If you are afraid of competition on your local beach then you are in the wrong hobby. If you detect to make money you are in the wrong hobby. Do it because it is fun. Me and three buddies are headed to the beach in the morning I am letting them stay for free in our condo. Taking my own competition with me to hunt the beach. It is about hanging out with buddies having a good time if I find some gold good if I don't it will still be fun. If they all three find some gold and I don't I will be happy for them. Don't be greedy there is enough treasure out there to keep us busy for years. The more folks we have the better voice we will have to keep our hobby alive. Keep being greedy and hateful to other hunters your beach is the next on the list to have detecting banned.

Jason
Well said Jason!! You have the right attitude....good luck....HH....Brian

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are these type of events going on up and down the east and west coast.
The FMDAC held one in Panama City, FL in 2005, Myrtle Beach, SC in 2007 and 2009, Wildwood, NJ in 2009. This fall they are holding one in Niagra Falls, NY.
Just type in "metal detecting hunts" and you will probably find one near you.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont think a seminar type event with a seeded hunt (and associated fee's) would hurt us at all... What we really need to do is petition Whites to stop showing those STUPID commercials.... They are the only detector company that has commercials... Do they really need them? No.. The hobby has done just fine without them (see- Minelab, Tesoro, etc.)....
They could at least show an HONEST commercial, one that shows the guy at least digging a couple of pull tabs before he scores on the honkin ring..
I know that many (especially the retired here in Florida) see that and the light comes on.. Even though I just started hunting again back in September after a 30 yr hiatus, I am outdoors a lot, and I really noticed the increase in detectors in the last couple years.. I'm sure the economy has caused a lot of that, but I have yet to see one new, older, detectorist that DIDNT have a whites.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silver Surfer said:
I dont think a seminar type event with a seeded hunt (and associated fee's) would hurt us at all... What we really need to do is petition Whites to stop showing those STUPID commercials.... They are the only detector company that has commercials... Do they really need them? No.. The hobby has done just fine without them (see- Minelab, Tesoro, etc.)....
They could at least show an HONEST commercial, one that shows the guy at least digging a couple of pull tabs before he scores on the honkin ring..
I know that many (especially the retired here in Florida) see that and the light comes on.. Even though I just started hunting again back in September after a 30 yr hiatus, I am outdoors a lot, and I really noticed the increase in detectors in the last couple years.. I'm sure the economy has caused a lot of that, but I have yet to see one new, older, detectorist that DIDNT have a whites.

I hear you. Sounds like White's is trying to get a greater portion of the detector market through advertising.

I wouldn't worry about too much about the additional detectorists out there. If you'll watch, you will see that they show up about 2 or 3 times at most and then you never see them again. Too much work and too much time out of the air conditioning for the average person.

Keep your eyes on Craigslist, that's usually where they try to unload their lightly used detectors.

Just my observation.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree too much ground to be covered to be worried about competition. I also have friends come out to my place to stay and hunt with me... It may be a competition to see whose is bigger so to say at the end. Haven't seen the commercial, but seen 2 v3's and a new excall all trying to hunt 1/5 th of the area since they were weavin in and out of people laid out. Kinda sad I say. I still think a meet up of locals would be cool , any one up for it. Maybe just meetin up at a wing joint or something? :thumbsup:

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Surfer said:
Yeah....that's a good idea....ask Whites Electronics....A "For Profit" company by the way....to stop advertising....or to show a commercial saying something like.... "Buy our product....although we won't guarantee anything and success is strictly up to you.....you might just find something good sometime !!" I guess you have never sold a product or had your own company....Competition and how you compete against that competition, is everything in a free market.....and Whites has proven that they are extremely proficient at it! Oh and as far as alot of folks using detectors?...It's not the number of folks swingin...it's the proficiency of the hunters that find most of the good stuff....in other words....Quality over quantity definitely applies in this instance....JMHO....Surfdigger

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
S.S.Tupperware said:
I agree too much ground to be covered to be worried about competition. I also have friends come out to my place to stay and hunt with me... It may be a competition to see whose is bigger so to say at the end. Haven't seen the commercial, but seen 2 v3's and a new excall all trying to hunt 1/5 th of the area since they were weavin in and out of people laid out. Kinda sad I say. I still think a meet up of locals would be cool , any one up for it. Maybe just meetin up at a wing joint or something? :thumbsup:
Sounds like you are describing a metal detecting club....there should be one in your area....

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger said:
Silver Surfer said:
Yeah....that's a good idea....ask Whites Electronics....A "For Profit" company by the way....to stop advertising....or to show a commercial saying something like.... "Buy our product....although we won't guarantee anything and success is strictly up to you.....you might just find something good sometime !!" I guess you have never sold a product or had your own company....Competition and how you compete against that competition, is everything in a free market.....and Whites has proven that they are extremely proficient at it! Oh and as far as alot of folks using detectors?...It's not the number of folks swingin...it's the proficiency of the hunters that find most of the good stuff....in other words....Quality over quantity definitely applies in this instance....JMHO....Surfdigger
Spoken like a true, todays, market capitalist... I guess you never heard the term "truth in advertising"?
They can advertise anything they want... I just wish they would be realistic about it.. The one they run is almost predatory.. People really think that it is as simple as that, dump a big load of often hard-earned or saved money, and then find out it is a LOT of work.. You think that is fair?
What if I were to sell you a coin on ebay, and in it I stated "you can buy a coin that was spent by George Washington", and I really knew it wasnt, but you could not prove it wasnt. I guess I could be defended as "someone trying to sell a coin for a profit, imagine that"?
I highly doubt it.. I could come up with many more, and probably much better examples, but it's late and I am tired...
Carry on...

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger said:
It's not the number of folks swingin...it's the proficiency of the hunters that find most of the good stuff....in other words....Quality over quantity definitely applies in this instance....JMHO....Surfdigger
Forgot to address this.... The number of people swinging a box DOES affect us... It is that many more people out there digging plugs, many doing it poorly, and the chances of our hobby being outlawed increase as the number of people increase..
I have had two spots (city jurisdiction) become "no detecting" and the reason I was told was that they used to allow it, "but then we started having all kinds of people coming here and tearing up the place, so we shut it down"...

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Surfer said:
Surfdigger said:
It's not the number of folks swingin...it's the proficiency of the hunters that find most of the good stuff....in other words....Quality over quantity definitely applies in this instance....JMHO....Surfdigger
Forgot to address this.... The number of people swinging a box DOES affect us... It is that many more people out there digging plugs, many doing it poorly, and the chances of our hobby being outlawed increase as the number of people increase..
I have had two spots (city jurisdiction) become "no detecting" and the reason I was told was that they used to allow it, "but then we started having all kinds of people coming here and tearing up the place, so we shut it down"...

Must be a local problem and or a personal observation....me....I'm going to continue to enjoy my pasttime....it hasn't affected my overall finds any.....in my 36 years of doing this I find that I will always have the edge on the "Johnny come lately's" and I just don't let it get to me.....present company excluded....I guess that's what separates the short timers from the longterm beach hunters.

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Surfer said:
Surfdigger said:
Silver Surfer said:
Spoken like a true, todays, market capitalist... I guess you never heard the term "truth in advertising"?
They can advertise anything they want... I just wish they would be realistic about it.. The one they run is almost predatory.. People really think that it is as simple as that, dump a big load of often hard-earned or saved money, and then find out it is a LOT of work.. You think that is fair?
What if I were to sell you a coin on ebay, and in it I stated "you can buy a coin that was spent by George Washington", and I really knew it wasnt, but you could not prove it wasnt. I guess I could be defended as "someone trying to sell a coin for a profit, imagine that"?
I highly doubt it.. I could come up with many more, and probably much better examples, but it's late and I am tired...
Carry on...

Uh Oh....sounds like we have some definite political views bleeding through into your post here.....But I won't go there.....hey....instead of blaming your self doubt about this hobby/sport of ours on Whites electronics and their so called misleading advertising and marketing tactics.....spend that time enjoying the hobby and not looking over your shoulder worrying about the other guy....you just might realize just how much you really are finding after all....bottom line.....have a good time...LOL :laughing9:

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No lookin for more beer drinkin and BS'n than clubbin. There is one here right down the road. I guess the whites ad is correct I bought one and take it to the beach and do find treasure... :laughing9:

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surfdigger said:
Uh Oh....sounds like we have some definite political views bleeding through into your post here.....But I won't go there.....hey....instead of blaming your self doubt about this hobby/sport of ours on Whites electronics and their so called misleading advertising and marketing tactics.....spend that time enjoying the hobby and not looking over your shoulder worrying about the other guy....you just might realize just how much you really are finding after all....bottom line.....have a good time...LOL
You are not QUITE as smart as you think you are I am afraid.... I am a Moderate, but right leaning, Independent.... Honesty, even in business, shouldnt be a political issue...
I also think you are putting way more into this than what it is... A discussion.... No one is up in arms, just stating our opinions on whether or not having a seminar like event... I find probably more than I should as new as I am to the hobby.. Remember, they are just "opinions", and nothing more..

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Surfer said:
Surfdigger said:
Uh Oh....sounds like we have some definite political views bleeding through into your post here.....But I won't go there.....hey....instead of blaming your self doubt about this hobby/sport of ours on Whites electronics and their so called misleading advertising and marketing tactics.....spend that time enjoying the hobby and not looking over your shoulder worrying about the other guy....you just might realize just how much you really are finding after all....bottom line.....have a good time...LOL
You are not QUITE as smart as you think you are I am afraid.... I am a Moderate, but right leaning, Independent.... Honesty, even in business, shouldnt be a political issue...
I also think you are putting way more into this than what it is... A discussion.... No one is up in arms, just stating our opinions on whether or not having a seminar like event... I find probably more than I should as new as I am to the hobby.. Remember, they are just "opinions", and nothing more..
That's right they are opinions.....and as far as political....I never implied what way you lean politically....you assumed all of that on your own.....stop reading more into it than what it is.....this forum is about having healthy debate without name calling and inuendo....I guess that we just disagree about the stupid stuff that isn't going to affect what either of us are going to get out of this hobby one way or the other.....it's all mind over matter.....I don't mind so it really doesn't matter....just get out there and hunt and stop worrying about what the other knuckleheads swingin detectors are doing.....the fact that you think you are finding more than you think you should is a good sign that you are off to a good start....good luck out there!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions