Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Feb 2006
    Mooresville, NC
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Garrett AT Pro
    23 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting

Metal detectors and sharks in South Florida; Water detecting laws

I just returned from a couple of days in South Florida where I had a good bit of luck finding some rings, coins and bling. I'll post pics of the finds when I figure out how to get macro on my iphone. But I have a couple of questions that I thought I might be able to get some answers from here. I was in waist deep water and found myself suddenly in a school of panicked fish.....never a good sign. I was backing out of the water when I noticed a approximately 2 ft. nurse shark (I think), circling and repeatedly bumping into my coil. He wasn't the least bit interested in me, but my question is.....are sharks attracted to the radio frequencies of the coil? This one sure seemed to be!

My other question is in regards to the laws of detecting in the water in South Florida. I always thought it was a not allowed, but there sure were a group of metal detectors out there. I thought that the state of Florida only allowed water detecting with the purchase of an lease or license for a defined area. I actually did not go in the water until I realized that I was the only one staying on the sand. So I thought I might as well join them! Just was hoping that I could get some clarity from the group here.

Thanks! I look forward to the responses!

us
    Apr 2010
    Western PA
    Minelab Excalibur 1000, Minelab Excalibur II

Re: Metal detectors and sharks in South Florida; Water detecting laws

Just watch out for this guy!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_australia_1138572075.jpg 
Views:	3143 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	427225I had read that also that they are attracted to radio freqs.....It would be a good job for mythbusters!
    Cmdr Norrington: "No additional shot nor powder, a compass that doesn't point north",
    [looks at Jack's sword]
    Cmdr Norrington: "And I half expected it to be made of wood. You are without doubt the worst pirate I've ever heard of."
    Cpt Jack Sparrow: "But you have heard of me

Charter Member
    pa
    Pirate of the Ays

May 2004
    Panama
    Minelab Excal 1000
    56 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Must881, try this link to a discussion on Florida Laws on the beach.

Tom

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.p...,260774.0.html

us
    Feb 2006
    Mooresville, NC
    23 times

Thanks Wreckdiver......I will feel a bit more comfortable hitting the water from the beaches next time I am in Florida!

us
    Dec 2009
    Conowingo, MD
    Bounty Hunter 505
    Banner Finds (1)

Many sharks are attracted or repelled by electrical impulse. There was an aquarium in California that kept losing sharks because they would slam into the wall of the tank. After several sharks, they busted open the wall and found a wire with a short in it. Many shark attracting devices (for sport fishermen) have batteries that send out electrical impulses. I had a 4 ft nurse shark nose up to my live bait bucket (tied to my waste) in the keys. It only had about four live shrimp in it at the time. They rely a lot on sensing their prey as I don't think their vision is that good. Also, if you are stirring up the bottom, you could be kicking loose crabs and shrimp. Or maybe it lost its ring?

Good Luck.
    -Fathead

PS. Nurse sharks look simple and docile, but they will bite you. Their is a video going around of a guy with one clamped onto his chest. They can also bite their own tail so don't handle them that way.

us
    Feb 2006
    Mooresville, NC
    23 times

I am surprised that there aren't more shark attacks on detectorists in the water!

I did give the nurse shark quite a bit of respect.....as I was high stepping out of the water!

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8896 times

Quote Originally Posted by Must811
    I am surprised that there aren't more shark attacks on detectorists in the water!

I did give the nurse shark quite a bit of respect.....as I was high stepping out of the water!
    In the U.S., your chances of being killed..............

By fatally slipping in bath or shower: 1 in 2,232
    By being murdered: 1 in 8,000
    By a car accident: 1 in 18,585
    By accidental drowning: 1 in 79,065
    By an airplane accident: 1 in 354,319
    By choking on food: 1 in 370,035
    By being bitten by a dog: 1 in 700,000
    By lightning: 1 in 2,320,000 (Florida is the lighting capitol of the world)
    By a shark attack: 1 in 300 million

Too many other things to worry about....

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

us
    Nov 2009
    kissimmee fl
    white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
    6 times

nice bit of stats from TH
    I DO NOT UNDERSTAND ALL I KNOW ABOUT WHAT I JUST SAID!

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2009
    Florida- Somewhere in the middle
    MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I personally think that the BIG electrical field of our detectors if anything confuse sharks... I was hunting Miami a few weeks ago, the water was pretty murky from the big surf, and out of the blue, what looked like a reef shark of about 6-7 ft came within about 10 ft of me heading towards the shore.. It was going slow, but when it got in front of me it took off like something had startled it.. The water was full of people, and I made sure the people around me kept an eye out for it..
    Nurse sharks are very docile.. I have been around hundreds of them, and many times have had to push them away when I was trying to get lobster or spear a fish..
    Bull Sharks are a different matter.. They are mean, fast, and I have had several close calls with them while out spearing.. When they want your fish, it takes some pretty good aggressive moves (like several good stabs with the spear) to get them to forget your fish and move on..

Most shark attacks are in murky water, knee to waist deep, and towards dusk.. The fact that not one MD'er in florida has been hit again makes me wonder if the electrical field we have around us may be a deterrent... Think "Shark Shield".. It works in a similar manner, but a much stronger electrical field... Always pays to keep one eye on whats going on around you though.
    You never think you need an extra machine, until the one you have breaks down...

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors