Metal detectors and sharks in South Florida; Water detecting laws

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just returned from a couple of days in South Florida where I had a good bit of luck finding some rings, coins and bling. I'll post pics of the finds when I figure out how to get macro on my iphone. But I have a couple of questions that I thought I might be able to get some answers from here. I was in waist deep water and found myself suddenly in a school of panicked fish.....never a good sign. I was backing out of the water when I noticed a approximately 2 ft. nurse shark (I think), circling and repeatedly bumping into my coil. He wasn't the least bit interested in me, but my question is.....are sharks attracted to the radio frequencies of the coil? This one sure seemed to be!

My other question is in regards to the laws of detecting in the water in South Florida. I always thought it was a not allowed, but there sure were a group of metal detectors out there. I thought that the state of Florida only allowed water detecting with the purchase of an lease or license for a defined area. I actually did not go in the water until I realized that I was the only one staying on the sand. So I thought I might as well join them! Just was hoping that I could get some clarity from the group here.

Thanks! I look forward to the responses!

Upvote 0

travelingjack1

Apr 5, 2010
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just watch out for this guy! 800px-jaws_great_white_shark_south_australia_1138572075.jpg
I had read that also that they are attracted to radio freqs.....It would be a good job for mythbusters! :laughing9:

OP
OP
M

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Thanks Wreckdiver......I will feel a bit more comfortable hitting the water from the beaches next time I am in Florida!

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Many sharks are attracted or repelled by electrical impulse. There was an aquarium in California that kept losing sharks because they would slam into the wall of the tank. After several sharks, they busted open the wall and found a wire with a short in it. Many shark attracting devices (for sport fishermen) have batteries that send out electrical impulses. I had a 4 ft nurse shark nose up to my live bait bucket (tied to my waste) in the keys. It only had about four live shrimp in it at the time. They rely a lot on sensing their prey as I don't think their vision is that good. Also, if you are stirring up the bottom, you could be kicking loose crabs and shrimp. Or maybe it lost its ring?

Good Luck.
-Fathead

PS. Nurse sharks look simple and docile, but they will bite you. Their is a video going around of a guy with one clamped onto his chest. They can also bite their own tail so don't handle them that way.

OP
OP
M

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I am surprised that there aren't more shark attacks on detectorists in the water!

I did give the nurse shark quite a bit of respect.....as I was high stepping out of the water!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must811 said:
I am surprised that there aren't more shark attacks on detectorists in the water!

I did give the nurse shark quite a bit of respect.....as I was high stepping out of the water!

In the U.S., your chances of being killed..............

By fatally slipping in bath or shower: 1 in 2,232
By being murdered: 1 in 8,000
By a car accident: 1 in 18,585
By accidental drowning: 1 in 79,065
By an airplane accident: 1 in 354,319
By choking on food: 1 in 370,035
By being bitten by a dog: 1 in 700,000
By lightning: 1 in 2,320,000 (Florida is the lighting capitol of the world)
By a shark attack: 1 in 300 million

Too many other things to worry about.... :tongue3:

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
:read2:
nice bit of stats from TH

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally think that the BIG electrical field of our detectors if anything confuse sharks... I was hunting Miami a few weeks ago, the water was pretty murky from the big surf, and out of the blue, what looked like a reef shark of about 6-7 ft came within about 10 ft of me heading towards the shore.. It was going slow, but when it got in front of me it took off like something had startled it.. The water was full of people, and I made sure the people around me kept an eye out for it..
Nurse sharks are very docile.. I have been around hundreds of them, and many times have had to push them away when I was trying to get lobster or spear a fish..
Bull Sharks are a different matter.. They are mean, fast, and I have had several close calls with them while out spearing.. When they want your fish, it takes some pretty good aggressive moves (like several good stabs with the spear) to get them to forget your fish and move on..

Most shark attacks are in murky water, knee to waist deep, and towards dusk.. The fact that not one MD'er in florida has been hit again makes me wonder if the electrical field we have around us may be a deterrent... Think "Shark Shield".. It works in a similar manner, but a much stronger electrical field... Always pays to keep one eye on whats going on around you though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread