First gold watch(the watch works, but I have a problem)

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
It was extremely hot out and I was just getting ready to call it quits. I started up the beach and there it was, way up in the dry sand, a 10k Genève watch. So I stuck around awhile and found the Tiffany bracelet.
And about 6$ in clad. Oh yah and about a billion pull tabs.
Cell phone photo.
HH
Dale
Ok so I found this watch in the dry sand and wasn't sure if it was water damaged or the battery was just dead.
Well the battery was dead, and after replacing the battery it runs like a charm. Now the dilemma, A girl at work wants to buy it for $150 if it works. I did a search on the internet and ran across this http://www.gemstoneemporium.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=42_73&products_id=195
Ok its for sale for 1,800 bucks, the band is not exact, but same weight etc.. The watch on this site is new. Now what?
Maybe I will just go ahead with the sale and let her know what kind of deal she is getting.
What would you do?

Attachments

• 7-11-09FINDS 003.jpg
    7-11-09FINDS 003.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 869
Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the great find. :thumbsup:

As it stands you just have a pretty watch that would weird on your wrist. What to do with it, might be to give it as gift to a relative that you care for. You can check pawn shops to see what they would offer, knowing that that would be the last place to sell it. Offer it on Ebay with a reserve that you like or sell it outright to someone on Craig's List knowing you might just get ripped off. Sell it to the girl at work for $200. knowing she might try to make a profit on it by selling it herself but knowing that you at least got more for it than she offered.

Good Luck and don't look back. :coffee2:
Sandman

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Reasonable attempts to locate the owner(s) might include placing an "ID and claim" in Craig's List; or opening the watch to see if a local jeweler has cleaned it and left his mark-which might then be traced back to the owner.
Don.....

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
savant365 said:
Personally I can't afford to give anyone a deal like that, but if you are comfortable doing it thats fine. I have a question though, what if you tell her what it's really worth and she turns around and sells it after buying it from you?

Let's just keep chasing the hypotheticals. It's fun! Why would he sell her the watch cheap before he knew what it was really worth? Why would he then tell her what it was worth after he sold it? If he is that Stupid, then I say she made a hell of a deal! :headbang: Maybe that watch will appear on the finds banner of another Treasure forum with the headline "Bought a $1000.00 watch from some metal detector guy for 100 bucks." Or maybe, he just needs money. So perhaps he should roll up $150 in clad coins instead and keep the watch--at least until he gets off his duff and takes it to a jeweler or has it professionally appraised. See, isn't this fun?

If the watch's case and band are gold, as the finder suggests, then there is more than $150 in gold there (and that's just the gold). So why ask if selling it for $150 is a wise idea?

Nice find!

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
If the watch is worth over 1000, I would not let is go till i got 500 for it. Sometimes, I take some of my pieces to the shop and trade for some other pieces. I traded a wedding band and a charm, both 14k, for a 14k chain, so hold on to it, till you get what you want, or trade it....

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
savant365 said:
Personally I can't afford to give anyone a deal like that, but if you are comfortable doing it thats fine. I have a question though, what if you tell her what it's really worth and she turns around and sells it after buying it from you?

Let's just keep chasing the hypotheticals. It's fun! Why would he sell her the watch cheap before he knew what it was really worth? Why would he then tell her what it was worth after he sold it? If he is that Stupid, then I say she made a hell of a deal! :headbang: Maybe that watch will appear on the finds banner of another Treasure forum with the headline "Bought a $1000.00 watch from some metal detector guy for 100 bucks." Or maybe, he just needs money. So perhaps he should roll up $150 in clad coins instead and keep the watch--at least until he gets off his duff and takes it to a jeweler or has it professionally appraised. See, isn't this fun?

If the watch's case and band are gold, as the finder suggests, then there is more than $150 in gold there (and that's just the gold). So why ask if selling it for $150 is a wise idea?

Nice find!

Look here Bugle Boy, for one thing I don’t appreciate being called stupid. The other is why don’t you just go back to your relic hunting area and stop insulting people. I have read a lot of your post and have never slammed you. I thought the watch was wasted but as it turns out it wasn’t. I did a search on this watch when I first found it but couldn’t find any information it. And I weighed it for gold content. I offered it to her on that assumption.

I searched again later and found something and yes I need the money, anything wrong with that? Or is this hobby just for the rich that need not to sell any of their finds. So get off your high relic hunting horse and calm down a bit. This site doesn’t need a bunch of insulting people like you.
Oh, and have a nice day.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dirt Fishin Dale said:
Look here Bugle Boy, for one thing I don’t appreciate being called stupid. The other is why don’t you just go back to your relic hunting area and stop insulting people. I have read a lot of your post and have never slammed you. I thought the watch was wasted but as it turns out it wasn’t. I did a search on this watch when I first found it but couldn’t find any information it. And I weighed it for gold content. I offered it to her on that assumption.

I searched again later and found something and yes I need the money, anything wrong with that? Or is this hobby just for the rich that need not to sell any of their finds. So get off your high relic hunting horse and calm down a bit. This site doesn’t need a bunch of insulting people like you.
Oh, and have a nice day.

Simple answer then. If you need the $150 badly, sell the watch. If you can afford to have it appraised, and think it is worth having appraised, then do so.

What I hate is folks conjecturing round and round in circles about the What-If's. Post it in "What's it Worth" or "What is it" if you want more information. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

I like how you spell my name incorrectly. It's cute. It's funny that you point your finger at me and accuse me of being rich. I'm sure I probably only make a third what you take home in your paycheck each month.

Have you considered becoming a Charter Member?

-Buck

OP
OP
Dirt Fishin Dale

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
Dirt Fishin Dale said:

Oh, and have a nice day.

Simple answer then. If you need the $150 badly, sell the watch. If you can afford to have it appraised, and think it is worth having appraised, then do so.

What I hate is folks conjecturing round and round in circles about the What-If's. Post it in "What's it Worth" or "What is it" if you want more information. I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

I like how you spell my name incorrectly. It's cute. It's funny that you point your finger at me and accuse me of being rich. I'm sure I probably only make a third what you take home in your paycheck each month.

Have you considered becoming a Charter Member?

-Buck

Ok Buckelboy, I just got a little tiffed on the stupid remark, wouldn’t you? And it was my post so talk to me. Not he,etc. I started out hunting relics in northern Virginia; I was a land surveyor and did over 1000 acre boundary surveys and that was the sweet life. I had my detector in my backpack for the whole job. And even back then relic hunters and beach hunters seem to butt heads at times. (Or so it seemed). Maybe I saw a bit of that in your post. I didn’t say you were rich, but I didn’t call you stupid, you get the point. Things have happened in my life where a dollar goes a long way right now. I was a charter member for years but it’s not in the budget right now.
So on that note let’s just go on enjoying what we both enjoy. You dig the hard soil and I will play in the sand.
I am going to sell the watch to girl at work. She is extremely happy, and I am happy I didn’t go back on my word.
End of post.
Dale

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread