Saturday hunt - Gold ring, gold blob, silver ring - UPDATE ON GOLD BLOB

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
My hunting partner and I hit a beach Saturday morning that gave up four pieces of gold. We were hunting out knee to waist deep. I got a men's 14K wedding band and a strange piece of smashed gold that I almost gave up trying to find among the rocks and shells in my scoop. I Finally had to dump the scoop out on the beach, and pick through the rocks to find what was giving me the signal. The blob of gold weighs in at 5 grams and tested as 14K. Another signal turned out to be a smashed bottle cap, but when I scooped it up, I found a small old bottle in my scoop that says Burnett, Boston on the bottom. Research dates the bottle to mid to late 1800's. I also found a silver ring on this hunt. My hunting partner found a very old men's 14K wedding band, and the case of an antique 14K Hamilton woman's watch with 4 small diamonds.

Here are Saturday morning's finds...

DSCN0587.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

Here is the smashed 5 gram gold blob...

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

UPDATE: I was just looking at this gold blob that I found last week - 5 grams of 14K gold that looks like it has been smashed, and it just dawned on me that it looks melted more than smashed.

Do you suppose it could have been a wedding band on someone who was cremated, that melted during the cremation process, and ended up in the urn of ashes? Many people take their loved ones ashes to the ocean and scatter them in the water - this could have been in among the ashes that were scattered.

I guess it is a possible theory. I'd love to hear other thoughts and opinions.

Happy Hunting

Jim

Upvote 0

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm going with the campfire theory. If you look at the gold, it has a lot of crap in it. it looks like it was sitting in ashes and took a long time to cool, thusly gaining that crinkled look on the top. The bottom also looks like it was sitting on something flat, like a flat stone or brick perhaps? In my minds eye, I see a wedding band lost while adding a stick to the campfire, and the big buildup of coals melted it.

TooManyHobbies

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,
DetectorPro HH Underwater
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The blob almost looks mushroomed, like a lead round ball fired from a muzzleloader. Maybe someone made a roundball from a loved one's ring and fired it?

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
prolly bon fire...some booze and either a breakup or just an accident. who knows. i found a gold blob once. turned out not to be gold lol -Joe

My hunting partner and I hit a beach Saturday morning that gave up four pieces of gold. We were hunting out knee to waist deep. I got a men's 14K wedding band and a strange piece of smashed gold that I almost gave up trying to find among the rocks and shells in my scoop. I Finally had to dump the scoop out on the beach, and pick through the rocks to find what was giving me the signal. The blob of gold weighs in at 5 grams and tested as 14K. Another signal turned out to be a smashed bottle cap, but when I scooped it up, I found a small old bottle in my scoop that says Burnett, Boston on the bottom. Research dates the bottle to mid to late 1800's. I also found a silver ring on this hunt. My hunting partner found a very old men's 14K wedding band, and the case of an antique 14K Hamilton woman's watch with 4 small diamonds.

DSCN0587.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

UPDATE: I was just looking at this gold blob that I found last week - 5 grams of 14K gold that looks like it has been smashed, and it just dawned on me that it looks melted more than smashed.

Do you suppose it could have been a wedding band on someone who was cremated, that melted during the cremation process, and ended up in the urn of ashes? Many people take their loved ones ashes to the ocean and scatter them in the water - this could have been in among the ashes that were scattered.

Happy Hunting

Jim

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:

DSCN0587.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

Happy Hunting

Jim

I found an urn in the water in Jensen Beach fl and then a week later went back and found the top in the water. What are the odds of that? Really nice finds! Congrats!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Since yellow 14K gold melts at 1525 to 1605 degrees F and cremation is done at 2000 +/- 100 or so, it is possible the blob IS from cremation.
A body is cremated for some 1-3 hours, the ashes are cooled, melted metal parts removed and the ashes ground. The precious metals are disposed of per relative's or deceased person's wishes. That could be to leave the blob in the ashes when they are put into an urn.

My vote is for the honest grim reaper. Beach Bum Beer Blunder, no way. A wood fire would have a hard time getting above 1000 degrees F, not high enough to melt 14K gold. Aluminum beer cans, yes; gold, no.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for a great mystery. You can have a jeweler prove it is 18K with a quick test in their shop. That said, I suspect it might be from an old crematorium ashes. The processes described above are how things are done now. Maybe years ago, they were not so careful. I have found human teeth detecting in the water (from the silver fillings) in Jamaica. These were not crushed up, nor melted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions