Saturday hunt - Gold ring, gold blob, silver ring - UPDATE ON GOLD BLOB

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
My hunting partner and I hit a beach Saturday morning that gave up four pieces of gold. We were hunting out knee to waist deep. I got a men's 14K wedding band and a strange piece of smashed gold that I almost gave up trying to find among the rocks and shells in my scoop. I Finally had to dump the scoop out on the beach, and pick through the rocks to find what was giving me the signal. The blob of gold weighs in at 5 grams and tested as 14K. Another signal turned out to be a smashed bottle cap, but when I scooped it up, I found a small old bottle in my scoop that says Burnett, Boston on the bottom. Research dates the bottle to mid to late 1800's. I also found a silver ring on this hunt. My hunting partner found a very old men's 14K wedding band, and the case of an antique 14K Hamilton woman's watch with 4 small diamonds.

Here are Saturday morning's finds...

DSCN0587.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

Here is the smashed 5 gram gold blob...

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

UPDATE: I was just looking at this gold blob that I found last week - 5 grams of 14K gold that looks like it has been smashed, and it just dawned on me that it looks melted more than smashed.

Do you suppose it could have been a wedding band on someone who was cremated, that melted during the cremation process, and ended up in the urn of ashes? Many people take their loved ones ashes to the ocean and scatter them in the water - this could have been in among the ashes that were scattered.

I guess it is a possible theory. I'd love to hear other thoughts and opinions.

Happy Hunting

Jim

Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Saturday hunt - Gold ring, gold blob, silver ring, old bottle

As for the gold blob it looks like persistence payed off!!! and great finds o all the rest I only got 4.08 in clad for my finds this weekend!!!!

Gator-Flea

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
Where the grass is blue
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good finds............ thats a neat old bottle

bottomscratcher

Mar 1, 2010
Eastern CT
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers pulse 8 x

Nice hunt. lucky the bottle was in one piece.Does the 585 in the ring stand for the % of gold?

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505

Could the blob be a filling that got hammered between some beach rocks?

Great finds.

-Fathead

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I like em all.. cool hunt ya had. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
UPDATE ON GOLD BLOB:

I was just looking at this gold blob that I found last week - 5 grams of 14K gold that looks like it has been smashed, and it just dawned on me that it looks melted more than smashed.

Do you suppose it could have been a wedding band on someone who was cremated, that melted during the cremation process, and ended up in the urn of ashes? Many people take their loved ones ashes to the ocean and scatter them in the water - this could have been in among the ashes that were scattered.

DSCN0665.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

BareBones

Aug 20, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Surf PI, Ace 250,Excal 1000,PI Dual Field, Sand Shark
I would almost say with absolute certainty that your theory of it being a melted down wedding ring from someone who was cremated is not the case. No one would leave jewelry on the deceased to be sent into the crematory. Rarely is anyone even buried with jewelry, the family almost always removes any jewelry after the viewing and the casket is closed for the final time to be lowered into the ground. This is done behind the scenes.

Now if you wanted to go with another cremation theory, a plausible scenario could be they are gold fillings, however dentists usually use 10K gold, but maybe it was a high roller? Another thing that does not make that theory plausible is the gold is usually recovered by the people who process cremated ashes. There are a number of things that are not consumed by the cremation process. Even the bones are not always entirely reduced to ash, so someone is tasked to actually grind the bone pieces into powder so that everything will fit in an urn. I'm not saying it would be impossible for a gold blob to make it's way past a mortuary technician, but it would be highly unlikely. They keep a sharp eye out for this stuff.

But the question does remain why someone would melt approx 5 grams of 14K gold and it end up in the ocean. People do strange things, so let me offer another scenario that is almost as strange as the one you proposed. It was a wedding band from a nasty divorce that someone melted down and threw into the ocean so no one would ever see or hold that evil ring again. :'( Just fiction for thought. :read2:

By the way, I'm a happily married man. :icon_sunny:

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it small enough to be a gold filling that a swimmer may have lost?

richm

Apr 30, 2009
Madison, CT
Detector(s) used
White's mxt Pro / Sun Ray DX / Ultimate Gray Ghost's / Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bottomscratcher said:
Nice hunt. lucky the bottle was in one piece.Does the 585 in the ring stand for the % of gold?
585 (58.5%) is the European mark for 14K, nice ring :icon_thumleft:

D

digum smacks

i found one similiar.i thought mine was a gold nugget or and old gold coin

D

digum smacks

pinebarrens1 said:
maybe it was in the sand and lightning hit the beach ?
almost impossible.2reasons #1 the chances of lightening striking you,you have a better chance of winning the lottery.and a ring is much smaller than you.#2 the ring would have to be laying on the surface and take a direct hit,which would mean it would be spotted by someone and pocketed quickly. burried under sand when lightening strikes it goes outward not down so thats out.you can bet your asteriods thats out

juju

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2007
Burien, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Grey Ghost Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet someone dropped their ring in the camp fire. Or a fire was built over a previously dropped ring or pendant. It is a scenario really easy to over think though.
:icon_pirat:
JuJu

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
time4me said:
My hunting partner and I hit a beach Saturday morning that gave up four pieces of gold. We were hunting out knee to waist deep. I got a men's 14K wedding band and a strange piece of smashed gold that I almost gave up trying to find among the rocks and shells in my scoop. I Finally had to dump the scoop out on the beach, and pick through the rocks to find what was giving me the signal. The blob of gold weighs in at 5 grams and tested as 14K. Another signal turned out to be a smashed bottle cap, but when I scooped it up, I found a small old bottle in my scoop that says Burnett, Boston on the bottom. Research dates the bottle to mid to late 1800's. I also found a silver ring on this hunt. My hunting partner found a very old men's 14K wedding band, and the case of an antique 14K Hamilton woman's watch with 4 small diamonds.

Here are Saturday morning's finds...

DSCN0587.jpg

DSCN0589.jpg

DSCN0595.jpg

DSCN0597.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0603.jpg

Here is the smashed 5 gram gold blob...

DSCN0665.jpg

DSCN0668.jpg

UPDATE: I was just looking at this gold blob that I found last week - 5 grams of 14K gold that looks like it has been smashed, and it just dawned on me that it looks melted more than smashed.

Happy Hunting

Jim

Allow me to propose the MOST likely theory of what you have there on the blob. I have found things of this nature before along my shores and what happens is metals like cans, lead or brass end up melting in fire pits along the beach. More than likely that is a melted piece of brass. How did you determine it is 14K anyway? Did you use a metallurgic device to determine 14K?

GH

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
Gulf Hunter said:
Allow me to propose the MOST likely theory of what you have there on the blob. I have found things of this nature before along my shores and what happens is metals like cans, lead or brass end up melting in fire pits along the beach. More than likely that is a melted piece of brass. How did you determine it is 14K anyway? Did you use a metallurgic device to determine 14K?

GH

Hi GH,

The blob was tested using relative density (specific gravity), and returned a result of 13.33. 14k gold has a specific gravity number of 13.55, so the blob is within a very reasonable proximity to 14k gold. Brass is in the range of 8.5 to 8.7, so it is definitely not brass.

Jim

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I melted down my band from my first wife.... But it simply ended up looking like the blobs of melted solder you always get on the floor when you solder something.. Just bigger, but the same size... That doesnt look like a ring that was simply melted..
Interesting piece, thats for sure..

Gulf Hunter

Jan 12, 2007
Galveston Co., Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 800s
time4me said:
Gulf Hunter said:

GH

Hi GH,

The blob was tested using relative density (specific gravity), and returned a result of 13.33. 14k gold has a specific gravity number of 13.55, so the blob is within a very reasonable proximity to 14k gold. Brass is in the range of 8.5 to 8.7, so it is definitely not brass.

Jim

VERY INTERESTING indeed! I would be interested to see if the refinery will bite on that one, good luck and let us know if ya git paid fer it!
GH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread