Monday morning hunt - time warp to old gold and old coins

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
This morning my hunting partner and I hit the same beach that we went to on Saturday where we found 4 pieces of gold between us, and two of them quite old.

I started out hunting in the water, where I always hunt, but I noticed that the beach had a steep slope to it, so after a short while, I ended up walking up onto the wet sand to try that and got a quarter right away. Then right near where I found the quarter, I got a nice low tone signal, and dug a 1963 gold class ring that has a lot of green crud growing around the top of the ring. So, I ended up staying up on the wet sand and worked the water edge the length of the beach, and ended up finding 57 coins, including a Buffalo Nickel, 7 wheat pennies (4 of which were stuck together in a stack), two toasted silver Roosevelt dimes, and a Canadian 5 cent piece. I also found an old lock that has U.S.N. on the front (United States Navy I assume). I also found a silver 3-band ring, and a junk ring. I think the strange shaped item next to the animal (dog or horse?) is a metal shoe from a vintage action figure toy. It says RedBox Made in Hong Kong on the bottom.

Here are the pics. If anyone has any suggestions on how to clean the green crud off of the gold ring, I'd love to hear them.

DSCN0677.jpg

DSCN0678.jpg

DSCN0682.jpg

DSCN0684.jpg

DSCN0643.jpg

DSCN0652.jpg

DSCN0656.jpg

Happy Hunting,

Jim

Upvote 0

Surfdigger

Jan 4, 2008
South Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur, Sovereign GT, Fisher CZ-6a
Jim....Be real careful cleaning that ring.....For 10k class rings that have been in salt water for a while the salt literally leaches out the non-gold alloy (copper,nickel etc.) used in the metal used to make the ring....this leaves the gold, and the ring will actually become porous....that ring will break into pieces if handled wrong....the old 10k rings that we dig after storms in AC have literally broken into 2-3 pieces just shaking them out of the scoop.....try electrolysis to get the concretion off.....good luck....Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread