Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone,

I have a Diamond Head scoop as my main scoop, which I really like. However I have a trip coming up that I want to bring my Excal II and a water scoop that can break down to fit in a suitcase. When not travelling the new scoop can act as a backup for my Diamond Head as well as be a loaner for friends I may take hunting. I am leaning toward the RTG PRO 5" STAINLESS TRAVEL WATER SCOOP. Anyone have one who can comment on it? And if anyone has a better recommendation I am open for suggestion. Thanks and HH!

Tony

Upvote 0

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
Tony,

I have two of the RTG Pro 5" Stainless Travel Water Scoops. Been using them for years, and they are very sturdy and well built.

Since they are stainless steel and not aluminum, they are a little heavier than many scoops - but that's good when digging through the shell layer on many beaches.

The short video below shows me using the scoop.

Bill

OP
OP
T

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GuerillaBill said:
Tony,

I have two of the RTG Pro 5" Stainless Travel Water Scoops. Been using them for years, and they are very sturdy and well built.

Thanks Bill! I notice these scoops are available with either 1/2 inch or 5/8 inch holes. I am probably splitting hairs but any thoughts there?

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
It's been several years since I purchased my two RTG Pro stainless steel scoops, and when I got mine, they didn't offer different hole sizes.

The holes are large enough that BB's would fall through, but usually anything smaller than that is too small for me to see anyway!

The only thing that shows signs of corrosion is the screw that holds the two handle segments together. It appears the screw is the only thing that is not stainless steel on the two scoops I purchased.

Easy to change though, and doesn't affect the performance of the scoops.

When in use you would never know it is a two piece scoop, no flexing or movement in the shaft.

I've used mine daily, usually on the beach and in shallow water.

Bill

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm getting Old, 58.... still can handle the SS scoops but looking farther into the future I see lite weight....Here is my travel setup , Aluminum 2 piece 6 inch Bill Babbs SS tip, like it but after 3 years the threads took a dive on the insert that connects the handle, repaired with helicoil insert, plus I alway carry the duck tape for backup. With the airlines charging extra for over 50 pounds, Aluminum works............Plus my travel shaft, made from 2 canes for the excal........All fits nicely, and is 47 pounds....

Bill I like the Vid...great Job!!

Attachments

• Bill Babbs Travel Scoop SS tip travel shaft excal.jpg
    Bill Babbs Travel Scoop SS tip travel shaft excal.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 662

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
version for lovers of natural wood handle ....

Attachments

• stavrscoop h?ndle travel.JPG
    stavrscoop h?ndle travel.JPG
    72.4 KB · Views: 730
  • stavrscoop assembly.JPG
    stavrscoop assembly.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 515
OP
OP
T

Tony in FL

Nov 7, 2009
Gulf Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stavr said:
version for lovers of natural wood handle ....

Very nice! Does that come with the handles or did you have to fashion them yourself?

stavr

Nov 9, 2008
Odessa
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000 & Explorer XS & GQAS v.2 Eric Foster &Eureka Gold & PI Dolphin (HM 9μS)
Tony in FL. I sell only the scoop head http://www.stavrscoop.com
but on request can be done in a set with a handle for travel.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice video Bill..........I like it. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread